Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hmm... I really don't know what's wrong. It's been such a long time since I've tried anything other than the Apple card, I barely remember how it behaved... Does your Bluetooth mouse work for BIOS and Clover boot menu?
No, the mouse doesn't work as well.
It seems bluetooth doesn't work on this combination of motherboard ASRock Z390M-ITX and Module DW1560 at boot prior to loading the MacOS drivers.

Got this wifi card

Wifi works by doesn't for some reason.

Additionally can't get audio to work...tried removing offending kexts and reinstalling with alc for strix bit still doesn't work. And I think I now removed all audio options somehow. Any idea?

Most of the time, Bluetooth issues are related to USB. Fix your USB first, then see how Bluetooth is.

Find out which Aptio fix you are using. It may affect your audio.

I wiped the drive and reinstalled, the system is stable now on 10.14.3. Without a graphics card, it doesn't like having 2 tabs open, but with just one it is solid.

I did the USB fix, the iMessage fix and got a serial.

I updated the cpu in the config to show the i9, but it still shows 3.6 GHz Unknown.

I don't see metal in the graphics/displays, and the dock is not translucent. Maybe that's why it was freaking out under 10.14.4, it enabled metal support but the iGPU can't handle it?

Sleep does not work - or maybe it does work but the screen just freezes and doesn't turn off. Pressing the power button brings me back to the login screen, no crashes. Left for a while, it seems to also go to sleep, but the monitor stays on.

I'll wait to update the OS until I have a happy, different GPU. When I do update, does the custom EFI stay set or do I need to restore it from a backup?

Also, should I update the bios? I am on 2.17.1246.

Your IORegistryExplorer file shows that you are using iMac18,3. You need to use either iMac18,1 or Macmini8,1 if you are using IGPU only.

It also shows that your system is not using the correct frame buffer which means no acceleration.

macOS 10.14.3 or older didn't have complete support for 9th gen CPU yet. That's why About This Mac is not showing the correct CPU and why your IGPU has no acceleration. If you are going to stay on 10.14.3, please try spoofing Kaby Lake IGPU to see if you can get IGPU acceleration, or you can just update to 10.14.4.
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 6.54.13 AM.png

Don't expect sleep/wake to work right until you have IGPU sorted.

If/when you get a different brand of RX 580, just use the EFI as is, remove any IGPU workarounds. Then update to the latest macOS.

I don't know which version of BIOS that is... That's not the conventional version naming used by Asus. I am on version 1802. I believe I have used every BIOS version ever released for this motherboard except for 1803 and they've all worked well except 1601.

Your IORegistryExplorer file shows that you are using iMac18,3. You need to use either iMac18,1 or Macmini8,1 if you are using IGPU only.

It also shows that your system is not using the correct frame buffer which means no acceleration.

macOS 10.14.3 or older didn't have complete support for 9th gen CPU yet. That's why About This Mac is not showing the correct CPU and why your IGPU has no acceleration. If you are going to stay on 10.14.3, please try spoofing Kaby Lake IGPU to see if you can get IGPU acceleration, or you can just update to 10.14.4.
Set the system to 18,1 and entered the device spoofing. Still not seeing metal support - that must be something that gets fixed with the OS update. I will do that tonight and find out if it freaks out again under 10.14.4.

Attachments

• my 181 Mac mini.ioreg
    3.2 MB · Views: 64
Set the system to 18,1 and entered the device spoofing. Still not seeing metal support - that must be something that gets fixed with the OS update. I will do that tonight and find out if it freaks out again under 10.14.4.

Neither the change to iMac18,1 nor the ig-platform-id/device-id spoofing are showing in this IORegistryExplorer file.

Make sure you are booting from the correct EFI partition.

Neither the change to iMac18,1 nor the ig-platform-id/device-id spoofing are showing in this IORegistryExplorer file.

Make sure you are booting from the correct EFI partition.
My edited EFI is on disk0s1, which I thought I was booting from, and appears to be on the Samsung evo 1tb. It is however booting from disk2s1 according to EFI mounter v3. It only offers these first 2 EFIs you see here. Somehow disk0s1 and disk2s1 have become dissociated although they are the same disk. This explains why the configurator never let me mount that partition, I've been using terminal to mount disk0s1. But it is not possible to boot from it.

/dev/disk0 (internal):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme 1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk2 1000.0 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Crucial 2.0 TB disk1s

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
0: APFS Container Scheme - +1000.0 GB disk2

Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Samsung 14.7 GB disk2s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 45.4 MB disk2s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 517.0 MB disk2s3
4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk2s4

Last edited:
My edited EFI is on disk0s1, which I thought I was booting from, and appears to be on the Samsung evo 1tb. It is however booting from disk2s1 according to EFI mounter v3. It only offers these first 2 EFIs you see here. Somehow disk0s1 and disk2s1 have become dissociated although they are the same disk. This explains why the configurator never let me mount that partition, I've been using terminal to mount disk0s1. But it is not possible to boot from it.

/dev/disk0 (internal):
0: GUID_partition_scheme 1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk2 1000.0 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Crucial 2.0 TB disk1s

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
0: APFS Container Scheme - +1000.0 GB disk2

Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Samsung 14.7 GB disk2s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 45.4 MB disk2s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 517.0 MB disk2s3
4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk2s4

I'm confused. Lol

You have two EFI partitions that you can boot from disk0s1 and disk1s1. This can be selected in BIOS.

I'm confused. Lol

You have two EFI partitions that you can boot from disk0s1 and disk1s1. This can be selected in BIOS.
Yes I am too! In BIOS it is set to the UEFI version, when it boots it goes to clover. There are 4 volumes showing, and I can see that it's the modified EFI under the gear icon, 18,1 system definition. So that is right. From here something is going wrong.

When I choose boot macOS, it boots to this 18,3 definition. I only have 2 drives, so what is disk2s1 and why does it boot to that instead?

I suspect it has to do with the fact that drive is AFPS, and listed there as synthesized - what does that mean?

Last edited:
Yes I am too! In BIOS it is set to the UEFI version, when it boots it goes to clover. There are 4 volumes showing, and I can see that it's the modified EFI under the gear icon, 18,1 system definition. So that is right. From here something is going wrong.

When I choose boot macOS, it boots to this 18,3 definition. I only have 2 drives, so what is disk2s1 and why does it boot to that instead?

I suspect it has to do with the fact that drive is AFPS, and listed there as synthesized - what does that mean?

Try putting your EFI folder on a USB flash drive and boot from that.

Try putting your EFI folder on a USB flash drive and boot from that.
Clover doesn't see the USB with the EFI folder to boot from. I formatted MacOS extended, even named the drive EFI.

I still see just these 4 volumes in Clover:
Filevault prebooter from Preboot
MacOS install prebooter from Preboot
MacOS from Samsung
Recovery

The Samsung drive cannot be reformatted to HFS even from the original USB installer, in all cases disk utility only offers APFS. So if I want to restore it all the way back to before I installed anything, I will need to do some terminal formatting. And I don't know if that is even the solution or if I will just end up bricking that drive.

Where is disk2 getting this 18,3 definition?

Back