Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Confirmed**
Staring at a Mac desktop currently and nearly tears in my eyes. More to go in configuration but this feels like the huge first step. Thanks @pastrychef .

Samsung 970 Plus is the culprit. As @pastrychef said HD should be completely out of the motherboard.
Booting in Verbose and turning off kernel panic and ignoring graphics Intel injection was also on.

Next stop configuration.

Awesome.

Test the most common things that give people problems:
  • IGPU. Make sure it's working heedlessly.
  • USB. Make sure all the ports are working. Map them out for when you are ready to apply one of the "proper" USB fixes.
  • Sleep/Wake. Test short and long sleep.

@pastrychef, I'm thinking about getting a used Vega 64 now that the Radeon VII graphics cards are out in the marketplace and Mojave 10.14.5 is on the horizon. I've tried to research which make/model Vega 64 would be painless to use with macOS. But, I haven't found any conclusive reports as to which manufacturer of Vega 64's is the one to get. Closest I can come to a painless integration is the Sapphire Vega 64. Have you found anything on Vega 64's that would indicate a particular make/model with a painless integration with Mojave?

(I think that sticking to a "reference design" is the safest approach.)

@pastrychef, I'm thinking about getting a used Vega 64 now that the Radeon VII graphics cards are out in the marketplace and Mojave 10.14.5 is on the horizon. I've tried to research which make/model Vega 64 would be painless to use with macOS. But, I haven't found any conclusive reports as to which manufacturer of Vega 64's is the one to get. Closest I can come to a painless integration is the Sapphire Vega 64. Have you found anything on Vega 64's that would indicate a particular make/model with a painless integration with Mojave?

(I think that sticking to a "reference design" is the safest approach.)

I agree. Reference should be the most trouble-free.

I have read of some users with the Sapphire Vega 64 having success, but keep in mind that they block more than 2 PCI-e slots. It's less of a problem for ATX motherboards, but can be very important to mATX users.

I agree. Reference should be the most trouble-free.

I have read of some users with the Sapphire Vega 64 having success, but keep in mind that they block more than 2 PCI-e slots. It's less of a problem for ATX motherboards, but can be very important to mATX users.
Thank you for your insight. In relooking Vega 64's on eBay, they all look like reference cards...good news there. Gigabyte and MSI as well as Sapphire make reference cards. WRT 2+ slot width, I'll confirm but the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ is definitely 2 1/2 slots wide. I'm not looking for that much power. <fingers-crossed>The "regular" Sapphire Vega 64 (as well as the MSI and Gigabyte reference cards) is more than adequate. </fingers-crossed>

Thank you for your insight. In relooking Vega 64's on eBay, they all look like reference cards...good news there. Gigabyte and MSI as well as Sapphire make reference cards. WRT 2+ slot width, I'll confirm but the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ is definitely 2 1/2 slots wide. I'm not looking for that much power. <fingers-crossed>The "regular" Sapphire Vega 64 (as well as the MSI and Gigabyte reference cards) is more than adequate. </fingers-crossed>

You can always play with the power tables using VGTab to try and extract a bit more performance out of Vega cards...

You can create your USB installer using the methods outlined here. Then copy the EFI folder over to the USB flash drive when done.
It took a while, but the machine is all assembled! Kinda nervous to turn it on... anyway I followed the method and created my Sierra USB installer. Sorry, I am a little dense - there are several EFI folders in your post, and none are for Sierra. Which one would you recommend I use?

I do want to get to Mojave right away, so do you think there a more direct way at this point?

Asus ROG strix z370-g
XFX Radeon RX 580
i9
Sliger Cerberus X

It took a while, but the machine is all assembled! Kinda nervous to turn it on... anyway I followed the method and created my Sierra USB installer. Sorry, I am a little dense - there are several EFI folders in your post, and none are for Sierra. Which one would you recommend I use?

I do want to get to Mojave right away, so do you think there a more direct way at this point?

Asus ROG strix z370-g
XFX Radeon RX 580
i9
Sliger Cerberus X

Asus ROG strix z370-g
XFX Radeon RX 580
i9
Sliger Cerberus X

EFI r4.3.2 should work. I never personally tried with Sierra, but two other users reported success.

If you come across any problems, please boot in to verbose mode and take a picture of the kernel panic and post here.

Unless there's a specific reason you need Sierra, I highly suggest updating to High Sierra or, better yet, Mojave. Thing run better with each update...

EFI r4.3.2 should work. I never personally tried with Sierra, but two other users reported success.

If you come across any problems, please boot in to verbose mode and take a picture of the kernel panic and post here.

Unless there's a specific reason you need Sierra, I highly suggest updating to High Sierra or, better yet, Mojave. Thing run better with each update...
Thank you again for the help. I do intend to run Mojave - I was going for Sierra at your suggestion, since I was unable to download a full installer for HS. I have full installers for Sierra and Mojave.

If I could go straight to Mojave that would be great, but I don't mind if I need to update after install.

I see that one of your EFI folders linked is for Mojave? I am a bit lost, not sure what is the difference between the AsAmiShim efi, vs the several unified EFI zips linked to the guide, and precisely where these go.

Currently, yay it turns on! It's quieter than I expected. Noctua fans and a big silent wings on the cooler.

Got all my bios settings adjusted. But I can't get it to boot from the USB. The custom EFI folder, I just drag it into the top directory of the USB? Or do I need to sudo mount the USB's EFI partition and place the files there?

Thank you again for the help. I do intend to run Mojave - I was going for Sierra at your suggestion, since I was unable to download a full installer for HS. I have full installers for Sierra and Mojave.

If I could go straight to Mojave that would be great, but I don't mind if I need to update after install.

I see that one of your EFI folders linked is for Mojave? I am a bit lost, not sure what is the difference between the AsAmiShim efi, vs the several unified EFI zips linked to the guide, and precisely where these go.

Currently, yay it turns on! It's quieter than I expected. Noctua fans and a big silent wings on the cooler.

Got all my bios settings adjusted. But I can't get it to boot from the USB. The custom EFI folder, I just drag it into the top directory of the USB? Or do I need to sudo mount the USB's EFI partition and place the files there?

Under all circumstances, the EFI folders must go to the EFI partition of your USB flash drive.

If you want to start with Sierra, use EFI r4.3.2.

If you want to start with Mojave, use EFI r4.5.3.
  1. Create your USB macOS installer using whichever method you like.
  2. When done, mount the EFI partition of the USB flash drive and copy the EFI folder to it.
  3. Boot from USB macOS installer and install macOS.

Under all circumstances, the EFI folders must go to the EFI partition of your USB flash drive.

If you want to start with Sierra, use EFI r4.3.2.

If you want to start with Mojave, use EFI r4.5.3.
  1. Create your USB macOS installer using whichever method you like.
  2. When done, mount the EFI partition of the USB flash drive and copy the EFI folder to it.
  3. Boot from USB macOS installer and install macOS.
Making progress - I made a Mojave installer with UniBeast, swapped the EFI folders and started up to the USB. I got the Apple! But it hangs about 2/3 of the way. I don't see a kernel panic but this is as far as it gets. "Forcing CS_RUNTIME for entitlement ..."

Attachments

• 20190422_000141.jpg
    20190422_000141.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
Back