Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Here you go - thanks much!
I reverted the systemt definition to iMac18,1 + also cleared the field in /Graphics/ig-platform-id as I saw you advise someone else to.
Going to restart now and try this config.plist (takes me about 45 min to boot and do anything using the USB stick, going to switch to an SSD backup for future!)

Hmm - it might well be that my graphics problem is resolved now - I’m getting the apple and a progress bar - but it hangs when it gets to full!

Seems like it is a bad install, and my only option would be to download and re-install Mojave 10.14.4 via USB?

Last edited:
Hmm - it might well be that my graphics problem is resolved now - I’m getting the apple and a progress bar - but it hangs when it gets to full!

Seems like it is a bad install, and my only option would be to download and re-install Mojave 10.14.4 via USB?

Get rid of the following:
Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 12.34.37 AM.png

Make sure you are using at least Clover r4910 and you have the latest Lilu/AppleALC/WhateverGreen.

Boot in verbose mode to see where it freezes and take a picture.

Get rid of the following:
View attachment 399701
Make sure you are using at least Clover r4910 and you have the latest Lilu/AppleALC/WhateverGreen.

Boot in verbose mode to see where it freezes and take a picture.

1) Will make that change when i have a new Mojave installer ready

2) If i install your unified_efi 4.5.3, how might i upgrade the version of clover directly on the efi?

3) While attempting to copy the latest kexts into the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder I see both .kext and .dSYM files. What to do with the latter?

4)Here’s where it gets stuck.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 4AD3C70F-FC11-4454-BC48-0D1A96D6CEE8.jpeg
    4AD3C70F-FC11-4454-BC48-0D1A96D6CEE8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 160
1) Will make that change when i have a new Mojave installer ready

2) If i install your unified_efi 4.5.3, how might i upgrade the version of clover directly on the efi?

3) While attempting to copy the latest kexts into the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder I see both .kext and .dSYM files. What to do with the latter?

4)Here’s where it gets stuck.

Thank you!

You are having a graphics error.
  1. Use EFI folder r5.0b.
  2. Change to iMac18,1 in config.plist.
  3. Add the "-no_compat_check" boot argument in config.plist.
  4. Copy the Serial, Board Serial, and UUID from your old config.plist and paste it to the included config.plist.
Don't use your old config.plist. Use the config.plist that's included in the EFI folder.

Plan on doing my first build based on this.

Seems like just about everyone's running 10.14 on this build. Anyone running 10.13, and any caveats I should be aware of? Also is there a general/beginner forum where 1st time builders can ask general questions like what to expect not to work on a custom machine?

(Thanks for posting such a detailed guide!)

Seems like just about everyone's running 10.14 on this build. Anyone running 10.13, and any caveats I should be aware of? Also is there a general/beginner forum where 1st time builders can ask general questions like what to expect not to work on a custom machine?

You can still use Nvida on 10.13. There is a list of stuff at the bottom of the first post here that tells you what works and what does not work or what works strangely. Provided you use this build.

You can still use Nvida on 10.13. There is a list of stuff at the bottom of the first post here that tells you what works and what does not work or what works strangely. Provided you use this build.

Thanks. I'll be using the Radeon from my Mac Pro so Nvidia drivers won't be an issue... In terms of Z370s, should compatibility be the same regardless of board manufacturer?

The two other things I haven't found a solid answer to are if using migration assistant from a Mac clone can cause issues. And if most audio interfaces can be made to work with a little tweaking to plists... (Recording interfaces not onboard audio, as this machine will be Logic/Live-based audio workstation...)

Thanks again for replying so quickly... Cheers.

Thanks. I'll be using the Radeon from my Mac Pro so Nvidia drivers won't be an issue... In terms of Z370s, should compatibility be the same regardless of board manufacturer?

Somewhat I would stick with boards that are listed in golden builds for ease of implementation.

The two other things I haven't found a solid answer to are if using migration assistant from a Mac clone can cause issues. And if most audio interfaces can be made to work with a little tweaking to plists... (Recording interfaces not onboard audio, as this machine will be Logic/Live-based audio workstation...)

I used the Migration assistant once on a real Mac and it messed stuff up I prefer to just do it myself the old Fashion way.

Do not have much answer for you regarding the recording stuff. But if you want working TB3 you might check this build.

There's no reason why you can't run 10.13.x.

You can ask questions in Installation > The Basics or maybe Post Installation > General Help...

Generally, yes. I've found Z370 to be Z370 with very little differences separating different motherboards.

I'm not a fan of using Migration Assistant. If you want to migrate all your stuff from your Mac, just clone the drive and stick it in your hack.

Sorry, I don't have any experiences with audio interfaces.

You are having a graphics error.
  1. Use EFI folder r5.0b.
  2. Change to iMac18,1 in config.plist.
  3. Add the "-no_compat_check" boot argument in config.plist.
  4. Copy the Serial, Board Serial, and UUID from your old config.plist and paste it to the included config.plist.
Don't use your old config.plist. Use the config.plist that's included in the EFI folder.
Success!!!!

Thank you so much!!

(BTW - I downloaded and ran Clover Configurator on another machine to make the necessary changes to config.plist, as I can’t find the serial # fields when using PList Editor Pro)

A.

Back