Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef

A while ago, when I asked you for your GPU BIOS, I found a post about fan issues on the Vega; maybe you read it maybe you did not. Anyways it listed cards without a fan issue I choose to use the one below:

Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56 (standard PCB): 113-D0500310-O01 (primary), 113-D0500310-S01 (secondary), 2nd version: 113-D0500310-O02 (primary)

I used the secondary with the switch flipped towards the back of the case. I used VGtab for awhile with it posted directly to my config file. However, two days ago I pulled the code out and just booted. To my surprise the fans behaved correctly at least for a Sapphire Nitro card. This means the fan shuts off at 50c and turns back on around 52c. At idle it sits around 43c so it runs a bit hotter then with the reference BIOS the MSI came with. Though I guess in this manner you can not tune the card as you have to get better performance.

Side note:
I did read that someone tuned the card in Windows, and, when they rebooted to MacOS, the settings stuck.

@pastrychef - would you mind sharing a screenshot of your BIOS settings under Advanced/Platform Misc Configuration ?

Any issues updating to 10.14.4?

I also got rid of the external SMA connectors for the radio on the mainboard and connected this internal BT/WiFi antenna with two 15cm cables straight to the Apple BCM94360CS2 card. Will connect an Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 to it.
I am also very curious to how well that antenna works, please post results once you get it working, seems like a very elegant solution.

I also updated to 10.14.4 , runs smoothly.

Hey pastrychef, I just updated to 10.14.4 and now the audio from my headphone jack is gone.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    44.6 MB · Views: 233
Last edited:
@pastrychef - would you mind sharing a screenshot of your BIOS settings under Advanced/Platform Misc Configuration ?

I just got home after a long flight and am pretty exhausted. I'll post the screenshot tomorrow.

Updated to macOS Mojave 10.14.4 vis System Preferences > Software Update without any issues.

Update took abut 15 minutes. System restarted itself 3 times. After clicking "Update" in Software Update, no other user input was required.

I have so much confidence and faith in this build that I didn't even bother to make a backup before doing the update.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 1.27.14 AM.png

Clover Configurator hasn't been updated with the SMBIOS info for iMac19,2 yet, so I'm still using iMac18,3. Will updated once Clover Configurator is updated with all the SMBIOS info for iMac19,2.

Syba 10GBase-T NIC still works fine.

Hey pastrychef, I just updated to 10.14.4 and now the audio from my headphone jack is gone.

I just tested headphones on my system and it works. I'll check out your EFI in the morning.

Last edited:
Back