Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi there, do I need to modify anything for running a Vega 64 and/or dual Vega 64? Highly appreciated, thanks!

The Vega 64 will run fine without doing anything, but you may want to change the fan speeds. If using a reference Vega card, at stock, the fans run faster than they need to which leads to noise. Use VGTab to adjust the fan profile and you will be fine.

If you don't mind the fan noise, you don't have to do anything.

Last edited:
Hmm, booted for the first time from the USB disk created with UniBeast and I am getting: "Error loading operating system" message. Any idea? I created with Unibeast 9.1.0 for mojave, replaced EFI with your directory and everything went through without issues...

Hmm, booted for the first time from the USB disk created with UniBeast and I am getting: "Error loading operating system" message. Any idea? I created with Unibeast 9.1.0 for mojave, replaced EFI with your directory and everything went through without issues...

You can try creating your USB installer using directions from here. When done, just copy the EFI folder to the USB flash drive's EFI partition.

I did this also, but the same. However, I was copying the EFI folder to the same partition. Will check the EFI partition. Also, just recreated the USB disk and made sure it is of a GUID part scheme. Now, giving it a try again...and it booted without a glitch. I'm installing to my 970 EVO M.2 disk. Thanks again.

Last edited:
What kind of splitter is it?

Another thing you can try is using a PCI-e USB 3.0 card with internal header. The PCI-e slots should sleep correctly. I used to use one of these with my old MacPro5,1 and it worked well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFR2H64/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Splitter https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B077MTRC7D
Seems that this splitter does not work. If I connect the Corsair H115i Pro - Pump direct to the mainboard USB-Port sleep/wake works well. Concerning your PCI-e USB 3.0 solution - maybe I try it or use a cable like https://www.amazon.de/dp/B003BCDYI4
I need this connection only for controlling color of RGB-Front-Fans ... so it's no real need - only for fun ...

The Vega 64 will run fine without doing anything, but you may want to change the fan speeds. If using a reference Vega card, at stock, the fans run faster than they need to which leads to noise. Use VGTab to adjust the fan profile and you will be fine.

If you don't mind the fan noise, you don't have to do anything.
Fan noise is outstanding. Need to reduce it. Installed VGTab and generated the .kext. Now mounted EFI partition (on the macOS harddrive not installation USB stick) and looking for config.plist. I can not find it, all the EFI is basically empty with only a couple of directories and a .scap file. Do I need to copy your EFI also in there?

Fan noise is outstanding. Need to reduce it. Installed VGTab and generated the .kext. Now mounted EFI partition (on the macOS harddrive not installation USB stick) and looking for config.plist. I can not find it, all the EFI is basically empty with only a couple of directories and a .scap file. Do I need to copy your EFI also in there?

Yes. Please use the latest EFI folder from post #1 of this thread and copy it to the EFI partition of your hard drive..

Unusual question incoming:

I use Music software professionally (from Native Instruments) that for some stupid reason stores system information including CPU Clock in the same files related to its a licensing system, for some reason it sometimes detects my Clock speed at 3697 and sometimes at 3696, not sure why there's a 1mhz margin error and my CPU (i7 8700k) is actually @ 5GHz.
Where do applications pull data from to know my clock speed? Can that be spoofed to avoid this sort of problem?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 16.24.09.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 16.24.09.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 67
Unusual question incoming:

I use Music software professionally (from Native Instruments) that for some stupid reason stores system information including CPU Clock in the same files related to its a licensing system, for some reason it sometimes detects my Clock speed at 3697 and sometimes at 3696, not sure why there's a 1mhz margin error and my CPU (i7 8700k) is actually @ 5GHz.
Where do applications pull data from to know my clock speed? Can that be spoofed to avoid this sort of problem?

Hmm... I really don't know. The stock, non-turbo frequency of the i7-8700K is 3.7GHz, so I guess that's what it's reading. The only thing I can think of trying is disabling XMP in config.plist to see if it makes a difference.
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 5.00.53 PM.png

pastrychef, which is the BIOS version you are using with your Asus Z370 mainboard? Thx

Back