Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef
Thank you for sharing your Vega 56 kext.
Seems to work stable for me. At least at running a couple of times heaven benchmark.
Temperature stays at 76°C max during benchmarking for me.
So, these are finally your settings?

Core frequency 1590MHz
Core Voltage 1010mV
Memory frequency 920MHz
Power adjustment range 50
Target temperature 55°C
Idle Speed 800 RPM
Target Speed 4900 RPM
Minimum Speed as per default
Maximum Speed as per default

@pastrychef
Thank you for sharing your Vega 56 kext.
Seems to work stable for me. At least at running a couple of times heaven benchmark.
Temperature stays at 76°C max during benchmarking for me.
So, these are finally your settings?

Core frequency 1590MHz
Core Voltage 1010mV
Memory frequency 920MHz
Power adjustment range 50
Target temperature 55°C
Idle Speed 800 RPM
Target Speed 4900 RPM
Minimum Speed as per default
Maximum Speed as per default

Yes. My temps when running Unigine Heaven and Valley are about the same as yours. When running the benchmarks, I can hear the fans a little but much better than stock settings.

Setting core voltage to 1010mV helps keep power consumption and temps in check. 1010mV is the lowest I've tried. I may try to lower it a little more when I have more time to mess around.

Setting HBM to 920MHz greatly improves performance on everything and my Vega 56 benches better than most Vega 64s at stock. I have tested 930MHz and it was 100% stable but it ran a tad hotter and I wanted to keep temps under 80C at all times. I've never tested beyond 930MHz.

I've been using these settings for quite a long time now and I've done a fair share of gaming on it so I know it's 100% stable.

In my opinion, no Vega cards should be run at stock settings. Just a slight bit of tweaking unlocks so much potential and makes the card much more pleasant to use.

Last edited:
Hi @pastrychef, I do Android App Development and thought it would be convenient to run an emulator on my Hackintosh instead of using a physical device every time I have to test an app. Unfortunately, Intel HAXM won't work, and my emulator always quits instantly. Is this a BIOS setting issue? I have VT-X enabled, as specified on post #1 of this guide. Thanks.

Hi @pastrychef, I do Android App Development and thought it would be convenient to run an emulator on my Hackintosh instead of using a physical device every time I have to test an app. Unfortunately, Intel HAXM won't work, and my emulator always quits instantly. Is this a BIOS setting issue? I have VT-X enabled, as specified on post #1 of this guide. Thanks.

I have never used Intel HAXM but I use VMware Fusion frequently without issues so I know virtualization is working. You can try also enabling VT-d in BIOS to see if it makes a difference.

I've never heard of this and I don't know of a fix.

With the RX 500-series and Vega cards, there really isn't anything to "configure". They are very much plug-n-play.

OK, thank you for answering.
Will search the web and post in the graphics forum...

Just so you can better see what I'm talking about, here's a photo of a small text on each of my monitors.
First one is an Iiyama XB2776QS (2.5K via DP) and second one is a Dell P2217H (full HD via HDMI):

Last edited:
OK, thank you for answering.
Will search the web and post in the graphics forum...

Just so you can better see what I'm talking about, here's a photo of a small text on each of my monitors.
First one is an Iiyama XB2776QS (2.5K) and second one is a Dell P2217H (full HD):

View attachment 392012
View attachment 392013

Do you see this if you go to System Preferences > General and disable "Use font smoothing when available"?

I just tried to look at text on my monitor with a magnifying glass and could just very barely get to the pixel level and didn't see any discoloration.

Btw, nice camera!! :thumbup:

Do you see this if you go to System Preferences > General and disable "Use font smoothing when available"?

I just tried to look at text on my monitor with a magnifying glass and could just very barely get to the pixel level and didn't see any discoloration.

Btw, nice camera!! :thumbup:

I already tried, but it did not help.

I also was amazed by the "macro" quality of the photos taken with... my iPad Air 2 ;)

BTW, my main monitor is connected via DP (the secondary via HDMI).
I will try to connect it via HDMI too...

I have never used Intel HAXM but I use VMware Fusion frequently without issues so I know virtualization is working. You can try also enabling VT-d in BIOS to see if it makes a difference.

Ok, will do. Thanks.

Confirmed! It does work without the device-id injection in Clover>Devices>Properties.
And also confirmed the terminal command (defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceIntel -boolean yes) isn't needed for this to work, in my case.
So to get iTunes DRM content and H264 encoding to work, with a 8700K IGPU (Intel UHD Graphics 630)
  • Remove Shikigva bootflag

Is there a special trick to get DRM working on UHD 630 with Safari HTML5 , streaming Netflix or Prime? I don't have this board, but have acceleration with an 8100 and H310. Cant get DRM to work no matter what I try, but everything else works so far. I am not using shiki bootflag I think and have all the latest kexts.

I plan on completely moving to Mojave in summer and use it as my primary computer, but I do lot of streaming on my computer and so without 1080p Netflix / Prime, I feel I am left out using my Hackintosh. I can order a 560/70/80 but feels like spending 200$ in my country on a card just for DRM doesn't make sense since I have everything else working in my build with what I have which wasn't easy.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.3 MB · Views: 142
Is there a special trick to get DRM working on UHD 630 with Safari HTML5 , streaming Netflix or Prime? I don't have this board, but have acceleration with an 8100 and H310. Cant get DRM to work no matter what I try, but everything else works so far. I am not using shiki bootflag I think and have all the latest kexts.

I plan on completely moving to Mojave in summer and use it as my primary computer, but I do lot of streaming on my computer and so without 1080p Netflix / Prime, I feel I am left out using my Hackintosh. I can order a 560/70/80 but feels like spending 200$ in my country on a card just for DRM doesn't make sense since I have everything else working in my build with what I have which wasn't easy.

Try adding one of the "shikigva=" boot flags. Try shikigva=1 and shikigva=61.

Also, you don't need the following:

Back