Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

When you did the install, did you use the plastic screw to attach the adaptor card to the bracket/cage that the original Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card was attached to? If you used a metal screw, it's possible that the screw is causing a short on the BCM94360CS2. I suggest either using the plastic screw or use some tape to insulate the screw from the BCM94360CS2.

I double checked that I was using the plastic screw. I decided to take out the top screw that holds the card to the adapter and try it that way, and sure enough now everything works. Not sure if that was somehow causing a short (no terminals lined up on the adapter so not sure) but I'll take it. Thank you for the comment, I guess I just needed a double check!

So I got pretty disappointed with Vega 64, especially with it's noise level. I downgraded to HS and got Asus Strix GTX1070 for $200.
Interesting thing is that I can see this card in my PCI devices as I've seen my Zotac 1080ti.
I didn't do anything for that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 8.16.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 8.16.39 PM.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 8.18.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 8.18.10 PM.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 71
Yes, I see "Intel UHD Graphics 630" in iStats. But in System info > Graphics, the IGPU should not be shown. It seems strange that your IGPU is just labeled "GPU"

Its worth mentioning that my IGPU is in fact the Coffeelake IGPU on a 8700K chip.
Im not sure it is needed to entered device-id and so forth, but I've tried a dozen of combinations for the past weeks, and this worked, so I believe its needed.

But I'll test later if I can remove both shikigva bootflag and config.plist > Devices > Properties to inject ig-platform-id and device-id, and still have it work.

Thanks for your feedback! When I had the 8700K, I remember that no device-id needed to be added, and it worked out of the box. if in Finder. You can quick look / preview JPG images right away. Then it usually means it's all good.

iStat Menus shows my IGPU as "Intel HD Graphics CFL".

When configured correctly, System Information > Graphics/Displays should not show the IGPU unless you do not have a dGPU.

I didn't know that macOS correctly recognizes the 9th gen CPUs now. I still use config.plist > Devices > Properties to inject ig-platform-id and device-id.

View attachment 386872View attachment 386873

THANK YOU! @pastrychef ! you rock! so it turns out that sleep and Finder quick look wasn't working because my iGPU was not recognised! now they both work! sleeps, wake and JPG quick look works! SO AWESOME! now just got get that USB ssdt properly setup and it should be perfect i hope!

thank you for you time!

As per forum rules, please update your profile with CPU, motherboard, and GPU information.
Click here first, then select "Account details":
View attachment 386722

• If you are using an Apple branded Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, nothing about Clover or Mojave should affect it. What worked in High Sierra should continue to work in Mojave.
  • Shutdown was addressed early on in this build with a config.plist flag. I don't recall restart having ever been an issue.
  • WhateverGreen should address multi monitor issues.
  • I have no idea what's causing random freezes/lags in FCPX. Make sure you have IGPU enabled and configured correctly.
  • Whatever happens before Clover is probably a BIOS issue. Which version of BIOS are you on?
Here I am.

BIOS update and re-settings all, fixed all the problems. No more pre boot strange lines of text. Second monitor OK. Shutdown and restart fixed. No more lag/freezes.

About the WiFi problem. I found out that my WiFi card TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 is no longer supported in Mojave. Fixed with io80211family.kext from High Sierra in S/L/E and Lilu in EFI folder (already there from your EFI).

Thank you.

Hey pasty,

I figured out a nice Setting in the BIOS that helps a LOT with easy overclocking:

"Maximum CPU Core temperature": 80
You can find this Setting under the "Advanced" tab -> "CPU Configuration" at the bottom.
This trottles the CPU as soon as it hits 80 Degrees. How awesome is that?!
Yes, the CPU-Light on the MoBo will light up because of the throttling (but that can easily be fixed with a bit of black UHU Pattafix)

The 9900K will ramp up to 5 GHz for Benchmarking (just like the original programming by Intel) and then lower the clock as soon as it is hot. It gets hot pretty quickly, but the clocks then still stay way higher than the normal intel clocks. I can maintain 4.3 for a long time. After a couple of hours it will go down to 3.6, which would be Intels standard. So, this is the ideal fix to get around the overvoltage issue (on adaptive mode) and the overheating issue / low max. Overclock frequency (with fixed Voltage, because eventually 3.6Ghz is the long-term stable frequency@80°C, and you can not type a higher frequency in if you want 24 hour stability).

The other Settings:
I put 50 for all cores (or actually let TPU:II set this for me)
AVX Offset 3 (but it should not matter if you use it or not in this case, so you can just set it to 0. I just put it to 3 to avoid the high wattage spike)
Core/Cache Voltage: Auto (It stays unter 1.3 automatically. Only saw one little spike to 1.42 for a nanosecond in OCCT Linpack, which is totally fine. That was the Point where thy system always overheated and OCCT stopped before)
SVID: Auto (=Enabled. Because then the Intel Power Gadget will show me how many Watts the CPU is using)
SVID Behavior: "Best Case Scenario" (this is not active if you dont use Adaptive mode, I read. This would look at the VID and apply the lowest voltage that one core has in the VID to all other cores as well. But I left it enabled, anyways.)
Multi-Core enhancement: Auto (this maxes out the turbo duration, even with "CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max." : Auto)
LLC: 5
XMP: On
Max. CPU Cache Ratio: 47
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage: Disabled

Thats all. Everything else on Auto.

Why don't more people know this Temp throttling feature? It makes Overclocking very easy and quite safe. Maybe this is not available on many other mainboards?

I have been playing with the Maximum CPU Core Temp setting in BIOS. While it's really cool, it also prevented my system from staying asleep. I really wish it didn't because I'd love to use it...

Hi @pastrychef

I'm in search of the best wifi/Bluetooth solution. I planned on purchasing the dw1830. But seeing the difficulty such as wake up issues and not working Bluetooth from the #1 post, I wonder if this is still the case. I can't really live without Bluetooth, airdrop. At the current time, what would you suggest as the best wifi/bt option?

Thanks

Hi @pastrychef

I'm in search of the best wifi/Bluetooth solution. I planned on purchasing the dw1830. But seeing the difficulty such as wake up issues and not working Bluetooth from the #1 post, I wonder if this is still the case. I can't really live without Bluetooth, airdrop. At the current time, what would you suggest as the best wifi/bt option?

Thanks

In my opinion, the Apple BCM94360CS2 with M.2 adaptor is the best solution. It works without any additional kexts or patches. Sleep/wake works fine. Wake from Bluetooth device works fine. Please see post #40 for more info.

@pastrychef The problem with showing empty slots in my "System report" was because I set mac mini 8.1 smbios. After changing it to iMac 18.1 everything showing correctly.

In my opinion, the Apple BCM94360CS2 with M.2 adaptor is the best solution. It works without any additional kexts or patches. Sleep/wake works fine. Wake from Bluetooth device works fine. Please see post #40 for more info.
BCM94360CS2 is one of the old cards and you've mentioned that it is slower than dw1830. Do you know if there are faster apple wireless card that we can use? Maybe the card from a newer generation MacBook?

Back