Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi,

Mojave 10.14.1 and then 10.14.2 was running well on my Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC). I downloaded and installed the 10.14.3 cumulative update (incorporating the latest supplemental update as well). I guess it was my mistake - not to unplug the 5 internal SATA drives -, because after the update completed my machine could not reboot, only using a flash drive (created with unibeast, containing the EFI downloaded from this post).

I could not resolve this so after half a day I decided to build a new USB using the latest UniBeast, and the latest macOS 10.14.3 and the latest EFI (4.5.2 posted on Feb.2. by PastryChef), latest Clover. After the fresh new install (unpluging all HHDs, erasing, re-formating the NVMe SSD)... macOS 10.14.3 runs perfectly (no need for pendrive to boot) - so the boot part is eventually [Solved].

Unfortunately, none of the "blue" USB 3 ports are working (not the front (internal) not on the MB/at the back). The "red" USB 3.1 and the "black" USB 2 ports are working fine (and if I plug the mouse of the keyboard to the "blue" port > those work as well, but not any USB3 devices are recognized.

I am not a "port-mapping" guru, so I used the (previous) EFI attached to this post - which was working perfectly - till 10.14.2. I also tried with all the (previous) "EFI"s that PastryChef shared in the post but unfortunately none of these made the USB 3 ports work.

Luckily this is not a "killer-issue", yet, please suggest if you have anything in mind to make the "blue" USB 3 ports working! many thanks!

Hi,

Mojave 10.14.1 and then 10.14.2 was running well on my Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC). I downloaded and installed the 10.14.3 cumulative update (incorporating the latest supplemental update as well). I guess it was my mistake - not to unplug the 5 internal SATA drives -, because after the update completed my machine could not reboot, only using a flash drive (created with unibeast, containing the EFI downloaded from this post).

I could not resolve this so after half a day I decided to build a new USB using the latest unibeast, and the latest macOS 10.14.3 and the latest EFI (4.5.2 posted on Feb.2. by PastryChef), latest Clover. After the fresh new install (unpluging all HHDs, erasing, re-formating the nvme ssd)... macOS 10.14.3 runs perfectly (no need for pendrive to boot) - so the boot part is eventually [Solved].

Unfortunately, none of the "blue" USB 3 ports are working (not the front (internal) not on the MB/at the back). The "red" USB 3.1 and the "black" USB 2 ports are working fine (and if I plug the mouse of the keyboard to the "blue" port > those work as well, but not any USB3 devices are recognized.

I am not a "port-mapping" guru, so I used the (previous) EFI attached to this post - which was working perfectly - till 10.14.2. I also tried with all the (previous) "EFI"s that PastryChef shared in the post but unfortunately none of these made the USB 3 ports work.

Luckily this is not a "killer-issue", yet, please suggest if you have anything in mind to make the "blue" USB 3 ports working! many thanks!

The update shouldn't have trashed your EFI folder. Something else must have gone wrong with the update. I have a lot of drives connected to the motherboard and have never unplugged them for macOS updates.

You don't need to be a port mapping guru. Just look at the image of the USB ports in post #1 and select which ports you want to disable. Then add the "uia_exclude=" flag along with the ports to your config.plist. If you have trouble with that, just tell me which ports you want to disable and I can help with it.

Hi,

I could not resolve this so after half a day I decided to build a new USB using the latest unibeast, and the latest macOS 10.14.3 and the latest EFI (4.5.2 posted on Feb.2. by PastryChef), latest Clover. After the fresh new install (unpluging all HHDs, erasing, re-formating the nvme ssd)... macOS 10.14.3 runs perfectly (no need for pendrive to boot) - so the boot part is eventually [Solved].

You have problems with the motherboard itself...but check BIOS settings for USB ...all ports must work with or without USB SSDT implementation or kext in EFI folder ...

[Success] now the USB3 ports are working both in the front and at the back, this is what I did:

• checked BIOS - all appeared to be OK.
  • The EFI Unified r4.5.2 (Mojave) had "-alcbeta shikigva=1 -lilubetaall -wegbeta" arguments and also had keepsyms=1 and -disablegfxfirmware checked (see screenshot - ORIGINAL)
  • I modified the Boot tab (using Colver Configurator 4.62.0.0 Vibrant Edition) according to the #1 post, removed the 2 checkmarks, and replaced the custom boot arguments with "uia_exclude=HS08;HS09;HS10;HS11;HS12;HS13;HS014;SS08;SS09;SS10" (see screenshot ADDED)
  • I also copied SSDT-USB.aml to EFI/CLOVER/patched/ folder next to the existing "ssdt-usbx.aml"
  • Copied "XHCI-unsupported.kext" to kexts/other folder (as the most recent OS-X-USB-Inject-All-master.zip did not contain the specified "XHCI-200-series-injector.kext"

Now all USB 3 ports working, yet I am not sure if deleting the above arguments/unchecking the 2 options were really necessary or if these would result any other - currently unknown - failures.

Attachments

• ORIGINAL EFI Unified r4.5.2 (Mojave) Boot.png
    ORIGINAL EFI Unified r4.5.2 (Mojave) Boot.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 77
  • UPDATED Boot arguments.png
    UPDATED Boot arguments.png
    118 KB · Views: 82
[Success] now the USB3 ports are working both in the front and at the back, this is what I did:

• checked BIOS - all appeared to be OK.
  • The EFI Unified r4.5.2 (Mojave) had "-alcbeta shikigva=1 -lilubetaall -wegbeta" arguments and also had keepsyms=1 and -disablegfxfirmware checked (see screenshot - ORIGINAL)
  • I modified the Boot tab (using Colver Configurator 4.62.0.0 Vibrant Edition) according to the #1 post, removed the 2 checkmarks, and replaced the custom boot arguments with "uia_exclude=HS08;HS09;HS10;HS11;HS12;HS13;HS014;SS08;SS09;SS10" (see screenshot ADDED)
  • I also copied SSDT-USB.aml to EFI/CLOVER/patched/ folder next to the existing "ssdt-usbx.aml"
  • Copied "XHCI-unsupported.kext" to kexts/other folder (as the most recent OS-X-USB-Inject-All-master.zip did not contain the specified "XHCI-200-series-injector.kext"
Now all USB 3 ports working, yet I am not sure if deleting the above arguments/unchecking the 2 options were really necessary or if these would result any other - currently unknown - failures.

You don't need XHCI-unsupported.kext. Our USB controller is supported.

You can add the boot arguments back. They can be useful.

I looked in previous posts but I could not find how to show PCIe card in the System Informations

Anyone know how?

I looked in previous posts but I could not find how to show PCIe card in the System Informations

Anyone know how?

As stated in post #1, I don't cover that in this thread.

If you want to populate System Information > PCI, you must create SSDTs for your devices. As far as I know, there are no guides on how to do that on this site.

Hi Pastrychef.
I'm here again in this beautiful thread/artwork you've made.
I had some boot problem by upgrading to high sierra 10.13.6 so i've updated to Mojave 10.14.3.

Installation went smooth and the boot problem didn't show up again. But now i've different problems:
-Wifi Card doesn't work anymore, just by ethernet.
-The computer doesn't shutdown or restart at all, i have to manually press the main button to switch it off.
-Second monitor (both plugged via dp and hdmi to rx580) after Clover boot up doesn't work anymore, but still recognized by system status.
-Random Freezes/lags even using fcpx, like i can't even playbak the video in the timeline.
-Pre Boot time increased (before landing to clover boot)

That's for now. I'm still testing and if something new appears i'll update.
I've changed EFI folder with your latest release.

Any idea of what might have happened to my hack?

Thanks.

Hi Pastrychef.
I'm here again in this beautiful thread/artwork you've made.
I had some boot problem by upgrading to high sierra 10.13.6 so i've updated to Mojave 10.14.3.

Installation went smooth and the boot problem didn't show up again. But now i've different problems:
-Wifi Card doesn't work anymore, just by ethernet.
-The computer doesn't shutdown or restart at all, i have to manually press the main button to switch it off.
-Second monitor (both plugged via dp and hdmi to rx580) after Clover boot up doesn't work anymore, but still recognized by system status.
-Random Freezes/lags even using fcpx, like i can't even playbak the video in the timeline.
-Pre Boot time increased (before landing to clover boot)

That's for now. I'm still testing and if something new appears i'll update.
I've changed EFI folder with your latest release.

Any idea of what might have happened to my hack?

Thanks.

As per forum rules, please update your profile with CPU, motherboard, and GPU information.
Click here first, then select "Account details":

• If you are using an Apple branded Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, nothing about Clover or Mojave should affect it. What worked in High Sierra should continue to work in Mojave.
  • Shutdown was addressed early on in this build with a config.plist flag. I don't recall restart having ever been an issue.
  • WhateverGreen should address multi monitor issues.
  • I have no idea what's causing random freezes/lags in FCPX. Make sure you have IGPU enabled and configured correctly.
  • Whatever happens before Clover is probably a BIOS issue. Which version of BIOS are you on?

Hey pasty,

I figured out a nice Setting in the BIOS that helps a LOT with easy overclocking:

"Maximum CPU Core temperature": 80
You can find this Setting under the "Advanced" tab -> "CPU Configuration" at the bottom.
This trottles the CPU as soon as it hits 80 Degrees. How awesome is that?!
Yes, the CPU-Light on the MoBo will light up because of the throttling (but that can easily be fixed with a bit of black UHU Pattafix)

The 9900K will ramp up to 5 GHz for Benchmarking (just like the original programming by Intel) and then lower the clock as soon as it is hot. It gets hot pretty quickly, but the clocks then still stay way higher than the normal intel clocks. I can maintain 4.3 for a long time. After a couple of hours it will go down to 3.6, which would be Intels standard. So, this is the ideal fix to get around the overvoltage issue (on adaptive mode) and the overheating issue / low max. Overclock frequency (with fixed Voltage, because eventually 3.6Ghz is the long-term stable frequency@80°C, and you can not type a higher frequency in if you want 24 hour stability).

The other Settings:
I put 50 for all cores (or actually let TPU:II set this for me)
AVX Offset 3 (but it should not matter if you use it or not in this case, so you can just set it to 0. I just put it to 3 to avoid the high wattage spike)
Core/Cache Voltage: Auto (It stays unter 1.3 automatically. Only saw one little spike to 1.42 for a nanosecond in OCCT Linpack, which is totally fine. That was the Point where thy system always overheated and OCCT stopped before)
SVID: Auto (=Enabled. Because then the Intel Power Gadget will show me how many Watts the CPU is using)
SVID Behavior: "Best Case Scenario" (this is not active if you dont use Adaptive mode, I read. This would look at the VID and apply the lowest voltage that one core has in the VID to all other cores as well. But I left it enabled, anyways.)
Multi-Core enhancement: Auto (this maxes out the turbo duration, even with "CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max." : Auto)
LLC: 5
XMP: On
Max. CPU Cache Ratio: 47
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage: Disabled

Thats all. Everything else on Auto.

Why don't more people know this Temp throttling feature? It makes Overclocking very easy and quite safe. Maybe this is not available on many other mainboards?

Back