Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef Hi chef. I'm having trouble with the sleep. When I click sleep, it pretty much turns back up and into the login screen. Do you know if I missed anything that will cause this problem?

Thanks

@pastrychef Hi chef. I'm having trouble with the sleep. When I click sleep, it pretty much turns back up and into the login screen. Do you know if I missed anything that will cause this problem?

Thanks
  1. usb config
  2. check energy saver settings
  3. use in cmd term : log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason" ... and remove the cause if it is different from kb or mouse

Last edited:
Hi @pastrychef
I just learned that "Adaptive Mode" for CPU Voltage is broken. It will lead to 1.52V being sent to the 9900K (Used OCCT and CPU-Z to get these Numbers in Windows). Scary high! 1.3-1.4 is the safe area. I want to stay at around 1.3 max because of the heat.
This was with the newest BIOS 1802, but maybe this is also true for older versions.

So I had to change to "Manual Mode" and put in my 1.3V. This worked fine but gives me higher temps on the long run, because even if the Turbo is turned off after about 80 seconds of workload and the clocks will fall down to around 3,6 Ghz, the Heat will stay the same (because the voltage stays the same?)

I use:
Sync All Cores
LLC5
IA DC Loadline : 0.01
IA AC Loadline : 0.01
SVID: Enabled
SVID: Best Case Scenario

Could you please tell me the CPU-Related BIOS Settings that you use today?

Oh, and also AVX Offset -3

But in your fist post you said: we should not use this with OSX. Is that still true?
Does HWMonitor show a reduced frequency for AVX loads under MAC OS ?
I don't know which program uses it on Mac OS. Is Prime95 v29.4 build 7 with or without AVX?

Yes, I told another users a while back when I first got my i9-9900K that Adaptive Mode never seemed worked right for me. This was true even when I had my i7-8700K. Adaptive Mode always resulted in higher voltages and heat for me. I thought it was just me. Lol

Using Manual Mode to set voltages results in the lowest temps that I can get with this system.

You can use AVX Offset, but when you do, your frequencies will max out at the offset frequency in macOS. For example, if you have it set at 5.0GHz with AVX Offset -3, the CPU will max out at 4.7GHz and never go higher in macOS. This is why I always set AVX Offset to zero.

My BIOS settings are:
Per Core:
AVX Offset: 0
TPU I
LLC5
CPU SVID Support: Disabled
Long Duration Power Limit: 4095
Short Duration Power Limit: 4095
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max: 255.50
Min CPU Cache Ratio: 47
Max CPU Cache Ratio: 47
BLCK Aware Adaptive Voltage: Disabled
CPU Core/Cache Voltage: Manual Mode
CPU Core Voltage Override: 1.31v

I left everything else at the stock factory settings.

I trried 1.29v and 1.30v. While I was able to boot and run most things, it would randomly crash when running some heavy loads. though a lot of testing, i found 1.31v to be perfectly stable for 24/7 use. At idle, I see about 37-38C.

As always when it comes to overclocking, what works for me may very well not work for you. Each CPU is slightly different. Some may require more voltage, some may require less, and some CPUs are simply unable to clock to certain levels.

I don't know if the version of Prime95 that I use is AVX or not, but it manages to push my CPU to heat up beyond anything else I've ever run. With this version, my temps hit a max of 85C. When I was doing stability testing, I kept it running for a minimum of 2 hours while monitoring for any CPU frequency dips. This way I knew it would maintain my 5.1/5.0GHz overclock without any problems. I attached the version I use at the bottom of this post.

I have also left the system running overnight running Handbrake. I would queue up a few videos to be converted (Super HQ 1080p Preset) and left it running. When running Handbrake, temps top out at around 80-81C.

Attachments

• Prime95-MacOSX-266.zip
    4 MB · Views: 61
@pastrychef Radeon VII hacked to work on Vega 10 drivers! 1802 MHz boost frequency. Is it possible for you to make a VGATabkext? You seem to be the master of fine wine with the Vega's. I tried with the Vega Frontier setting but it has a negative effect.

View attachment 386513

Wow. Awesome.

What settings are you trying to set with VGTab? From what I've seen from reviews, the Vega VII uses a new method of sensing temperatures which are throwing Windows drivers fits and sometimes cause throttling when it's not needed. Also, all the reviews I've seen have not been able to get any meaningful results from overclocking. I wonder if that's what's causing you to get negative effects.

Are the fans behaving normally or are they running high? Is that a single Vega VII showing up as two cards? I know that then trying to create an SSDT to populate System Information > PCI, we have to make accommodations to the fact that the Vega 56/64 cards have an internal bridge.

Let me know what settings you are trying to get and I'll try VGTab...

Hi, has anyone installed the 10.14.3 Supplemental Update yet? Any issues?

I updated today with Software Update from System Preferences and did not encounter any issues so far. Same was with 10.14.2 update. Only thing I did before update was Clover update and Time Machine backup.

@perchard @golfleep @pastrychef
@pastrychef - Changing the shikigva flag to 1 also fixed DRM for me, but broke Quicksync/h.264 hardware encoding under FCPX, at least my setup with the 9900k and spoofed IGPU. I know you don't use FCPX, but figure I would mention it. shikigva=57 also breaks hardware encoding. Shikigva=60 maintains hardware encoding, as does removing all shikigva flags from clover (which allows whatevergreen to choose the shiki config), but results in DRM not working
I have had the exact same issues. However never had succes with iTunes DRM content.
I settled for using shikigva=60 since h264 encoding would work. But I couldn't stop tinkering with it, and finally now I got it to work!
Itunes DRM plays flawlessly, and h264 + h265 encoding confirmed in DaVinci Resolve + VideoProc

What did I do?
Entered device-id, AAPL ig-platform-id in Clover/devices as described in Pastrychef's post#1

Removed shikigva bootflag. Still using -alcbeta -lilubetaall -wegbeta

Manually configured MacOS to use IGPU for DRM playback, by entering this command in terminal
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceIntel -boolean yes
As suggested in An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins.
I'm however unsure if this is required, but it works finally!

Hope this helps!?

Last edited:
?????? ... best scenario ???????....
how many fans do you have in your system and what type of high-performance water-cooler do you use? ... you have just an i3 .... I doubt you gave the double or triple for cooling system than the processor ...

Yes. Sorry - I have one System with the i3 8350K and one with the 9900K. I use best case scenario on both.
I understand that it is based on the CPUs quality. Not the quality of the cooler (I use a 240mm AIO) . Am I right?
So, a best case scenario SVID leads to lower temps.
The same with the:

These are Voltages. =0.01 V will be added to the manual Voltage you set to your CPU Core. In order to stay as close to what I typed in there (1.3V) I use these settings.
I can only achieve stable 4.8 in Mac OS, Prime 95 though. In Windows it can to 5.0 with OCCT & OCCT Linpack & Cinebench.

Yes, I told another users a while back when I first got my i9-9900K that Adaptive Mode never seemed worked right for me. This was true even when I had my i7-8700K. Adaptive Mode always resulted in higher voltages and heat for me. I thought it was just me. Lol

Using Manual Mode to set voltages results in the lowest temps that I can get with this system.

Yes, it seems to be completely broken! Dangerous stuff... 1.52 is not just a bit high, it is the maximum that is possible without removing the overvoltage jumper on the mainboard.:eek:

I don't know if the version of Prime95 that I use is AVX or not, but it manages to push my CPU to heat up beyond anything else I've ever run. With this version, my temps hit a max of 85C. When I was doing stability testing, I kept it running for a minimum of 2 hours while monitoring for any CPU frequency dips. This way I knew it would maintain my 5.1/5.0GHz overclock without any problems.

Prime95 26.6 doesn't use AVX (you use this version)
All newer versions do. (29.4b7)
You can use AVX Offset, but when you do, your frequencies will max out at the offset frequency in macOS. For example, if you have it set at 5.0GHz with AVX Offset -3, the CPU will max out at 4.7GHz and never go higher in macOS. This is why I always set AVX Offset to zero.

I can not confirm this. HWmonitor shows me the same frequencies as windows. I believe the AVX Offset works in Mac OS now.. Can someone please confirm this with a non-AVX (Prime95 26.6 attached) and one AVX workload. (Prime95 29.4b7 attached)

TPU I
Long Duration Power Limit: 4095
Short Duration Power Limit: 4095
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max: 255.50
BLCK Aware Adaptive Voltage: Disabled
Okay, golden, thanks! I did not use these settings so far. Will add them for longer turbo boosts if cooling suffices.

CPU SVID Support: Disabled
why?
Through SVID, the CPU can dynamically control the output voltage (you disabled this anyway), slew rates, power states, as well as monitor the device for telemetry purposes. (we want this, don't we?)

"For power saving with an overclock, enable it. This will let c states lower the multi and VID to lower your clocks when not under full load."
"SVID is a 3-wire digital communication protocol between the CPU and the PWM, it allows for the CPU to change its VID on the fly to fit the frequency selected. That is why you can increase the base frequency +/- 6-7 multipliers and the CPU remains stable, because SVID is increasing the VID without you knowing. Now this doesn’t stop unless you manually set the voltage (we did), so when users use SVID offset, they should be aware that their stock VID really isn’t constant. SVID potentially can increase voltage to 1.52v on its own, but that has never really been seen. The CPUs have this 1.52v max for SVID."

Aaaah- maybe thats why I saw 1.52V using adaptive mode ???

Min CPU Cache Ratio: 47
Why? If your frequency throttles in idle, your Cache will be way higher than the CPU frequency. I thought this yould lead to instability? Or is it only a problem when the CPU Frequency is way higher than cache? We'll need a CPU wizard to help me out with his wisdom for a sec... :ugeek::thumbup:

Attachments

• p95v294b7.MacOSX.zip
    4 MB · Views: 78
  • Prime95-MacOSX-266.zip
    4 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Yes. Sorry - I have one System with the i3 8350K and one with the 9900K. I use best case scenario on both.
I understand that it is based on the CPUs quality. Not the quality of the cooler (I use a 240mm AIO) . Am I right?
So, a best case scenario SVID leads to lower temps.
The same with the:

These are Voltages. =0.01 V will be added to the manual Voltage you set to your CPU Core. In order to stay as close to what I typed in there (1.3V) I use these settings.
I can only achieve stable 4.8 in Mac OS, Prime 95 though. In Windows it can to 5.0 with OCCT & OCCT Linpack & Cinebench.

Yes, it seems to be completely broken! Dangerous stuff... 1.52 is not just a bit high, it is the maximum that is possible without removing the overvoltage jumper on the mainboard.:eek:

Prime95 26.6 doesn't use AVX (you use this version)
All newer versions do. (29.4b7)

I can not confirm this. HWmonitor shows me the same frequencies as windows. I believe the AVX Offset works in Mac OS now.. Can someone please confirm this with a non-AVX (Prime95 26.6 attached) and one AVX workload. (Prime95 29.4b7 attached)

Okay, golden, thanks! I did not use these settings so far. Will add them for longer turbo boosts if cooling suffices.

why?
Through SVID, the CPU can dynamically control the output voltage (you disabled this anyway), slew rates, power states, as well as monitor the device for telemetry purposes. (we want this, don't we?)

"For power saving with an overclock, enable it. This will let c states lower the multi and VID to lower your clocks when not under full load."
"SVID is a 3-wire digital communication protocol between the CPU and the PWM, it allows for the CPU to change its VID on the fly to fit the frequency selected. That is why you can increase the base frequency +/- 6-7 multipliers and the CPU remains stable, because SVID is increasing the VID without you knowing. Now this doesn’t stop unless you manually set the voltage (we did), so when users use SVID offset, they should be aware that their stock VID really isn’t constant. SVID potentially can increase voltage to 1.52v on its own, but that has never really been seen. The CPUs have this 1.52v max for SVID."

Aaaah- maybe thats why I saw 1.52V using adaptive mode ???

Why? If your frequency throttles in idle, your Cache will be way higher than the CPU frequency. I thought this yould lead to instability? Or is it only a problem when the CPU Frequency is way higher than cache? We'll need a CPU wizard to help me out with his wisdom for a sec... :ugeek::thumbup:

I didn't think that the RAM (or cache) throttled the same way as CPU frequencies. For example, if you have 2400MHz RAM, I thought it ran at 2400MHz all the time. If this is true, throttling the cache could severely impact RAM performance.

I used the following two guides for overclocking.

I chcked again. My AVX Offset is working in OSX
Also normal frequencies are working.
So I will use a hefty AVX offset of 9 in order to have the same temps as non-AVX workloads...

I chcked again. My AVX Offset is working in OSX
Also normal frequencies are working.
So I will use a hefty AVX offset of 9 in order to have the same temps as non-AVX workloads...

This is something new then. When I first tested, I still had my i7-8700K. I'll have to play around to see...

Back