Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

The Serial, Board Serial, and UUID should not impact your email passwords.

Your licenses for apps may be affected. Try contacting the makers of the app and tell them you got a new computer and the license isn't working. Also, be careful with NTFS enablers for macOS. They are notorious for causing problems.

The email passwords came back when I also upgraded the troublesome (High Sierra) drive to Mojave!

Apparently something about installing Mojave on this different HD somehow caused the High Sierra boot drive to lose/disappear its email passwords - specifically, the entries had entirely disappeared from Keychain Access. They're all repopulated now, except for Paragon/NTFS which is un-authenticated, looks like that was the only issue that had anything to do with a changed board serial #).

Thanks again for all your help! I learned a lot today :)

Anyone else noticed a big decrease in GPU performance in the last few updates? My BruceX bench result went from 11 seconds to 18 seconds :(

Hey @pastrychef when setting up VGTab are you able to get Vega to stop spinning at idle?
Without VGTab the GPU fans don't spin at idle but after something uses the GPU they get stuck at 1500RPM until next reboot.
I tried setting the idle at zero in VGTab, it works and the fans stop spinning but the result is a loud coil wine, terminal shows me this:
"Fan Speed(%)"=1
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=97
"Temperature(C)"=36

I think the GPU is attempting to spin the fan slower than possible and causing the loud wine, not sure.
Any suggestion?

It is the SAME ISSUE I have pointed out using iGPU.
iGPU became ZOMBIE from 10.14.3.
Nobody should update to 10.14.3.
Issue is nobody cares. These info should be passed to the genius guys that develop some of the tools we use.
Apple has either changed the way graphics work so we need to implement iGPU differently or they've thrown in a HUGE bug.

10.14.2 is the latest that can be used.
If the people that maintain this (and other) forums were to make tests that involves graphics performance for any update then it would be of much better service what they do. If I say don't update to 10.14.3 nobody cares, if some other people say it then it matters more.
My feeling is...we need some of the smart guys to acknowledge that a perfect implementation is ZOMBIE.
Thanks anyone.

the same thing, attention to settings .. to me the test is the same as in 13.6 or 14.2 ... if you check the drivers for AMD are the same as the date and size
it is an iGPU issue that effects the testing not the AMD component.
iGPU is zombie in 10.14.3 with any of the settings I tested, included and mostly the one in which I get full performnace in 101.4.2.

hi guys, hi @pastrychef
how are you?
2 question please:
1-which and driver's version on windows do you suggest?
2-what's the secret for drm content? I have read the update n. 25 but I cant's understand which is the key features for drm.
ps what are you using shikigva bootflag?on whatevergreen support topic it's written that the kext automatically put the right values.
thank you for your help!

Update #25 (January 27, 2019):
Updated EFI folder to r4.5.2. There's nothing in there that's "major". 4.5.1 continues to work fine. The only thing I would consider major is, thanks to @perchard, iTunes DRM is working.
  • Clover updated to r4862.
  • Startup chime components have been installed. At the Clover boot menu, go to Options > Startup Sound Output to select the output. If you don't want the chime, just select an unused output.
  • All kexts updated to latest versions.
  • config.plist > Boot > Custom Flags shikigva=60 changed to shikigva=1
  • config.plist > SMBIOS > EFI Version populated

hi guys, hi @pastrychef
how are you?
2 question please:
1-which and driver's version on windows do you suggest?
2-what's the secret for drm content? I have read the update n. 25 but I cant's understand which is the key features for drm.
ps what are you using shikigva bootflag?on whatevergreen support topic it's written that the kext automatically put the right values.
thank you for your help!

Update #25 (January 27, 2019):
Updated EFI folder to r4.5.2. There's nothing in there that's "major". 4.5.1 continues to work fine. The only thing I would consider major is, thanks to @perchard, iTunes DRM is working.
  • Clover updated to r4862.
  • Startup chime components have been installed. At the Clover boot menu, go to Options > Startup Sound Output to select the output. If you don't want the chime, just select an unused output.
  • All kexts updated to latest versions.
  • config.plist > Boot > Custom Flags shikigva=60 changed to shikigva=1
  • config.plist > SMBIOS > EFI Version populated

I'm good. Still playing Breath of the Wild. Lol. Yourself?

I am using the AMD Adrenalin 19.1.2 drivers in Windows 10. It has been running well. The only annoyance is that it doesn't load my custom settings at boot and I have to manually load my profile on each reboot. Other than that, I haven't had any problems.

Changing shikigva=60 to shikigva=1 fixed iTunes DRM for me. I am able to stream purchased videos now.

I'm good. Still playing Breath of the Wild. Lol. Yourself?

I am using the AMD Adrenalin 19.1.2 drivers in Windows 10. It has been running well. The only annoyance is that it doesn't load my custom settings at boot and I have to manually load my profile on each reboot. Other than that, I haven't had any problems.

Changing shikigva=60 to shikigva=1 fixed iTunes DRM for me. I am able to stream purchased videos now.

lol I asked you for drivers just to play with Zelda

Hey chef!

I finally sold my 2080 Ti, and I was thinking about Vega 7.
Do you know about possible support on hackintosh?

Hey chef!

I finally sold my 2080 Ti, and I was thinking about Vega 7.
Do you know about possible support on hackintosh?

We won't know for sure until someone has one in their hands to test it, but I'm very hopeful that Vega 7 will work with macOS.

It is the SAME ISSUE I have pointed out using iGPU.
iGPU became ZOMBIE from 10.14.3.
Nobody should update to 10.14.3.
Issue is nobody cares. These info should be passed to the genius guys that develop some of the tools we use.
Apple has either changed the way graphics work so we need to implement iGPU differently or they've thrown in a HUGE bug.

10.14.2 is the latest that can be used.
Nah, at least not for me. I was on 10.14.2 and performance compared to 10.14.0 was already low, I updated to 10.14.3 in hopes it would be fixed or better but the results are mostly the same.

@pastrychef - Changing the shikigva flag to 1 also fixed DRM for me, but broke Quicksync/h.264 hardware encoding under FCPX, at least my setup with the 9900k and spoofed IGPU. I know you don't use FCPX, but figure I would mention it. shikigva=57 also breaks hardware encoding. Shikigva=60 maintains hardware encoding, as does removing all shikigva flags from clover (which allows whatevergreen to choose the shiki config), but results in DRM not working

Back