Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

If you are using UHD 630 only, change system definition to iMac18,1.

Thanks for that!

Overnight, I discovered that I'd absentmindedly checked a couple options in Clover Configurator's Boot page. I'm dumb.

When I fixed that and re-booted - still using definition 18,3 - the display was back, but flickering and jumping and so on. Reverting to 18,1 fixed that.

ITM, I also created a (separate) Mojave disk from scratch using your ver.4.5.2 EFI, and it worked perfectly!

Only problem now - I can't get my email passwords to work. Also, my license for Paragon NTFS for Mac has lost its authentication. I think that losing the original serial number may have triggered it, is that what it is or am i missing something more obvious?

As I was saying...but nobody listens, Mojave 10.14.3 breaks hardware acceleration for the iGPU, at least for the UHD 630.
Functionally it works but it has become unusable as it is very slow.
It could be broken even for all the other PC that have a discrete GPU but you would notice less as the discrete graphics card acceleration would still be functional.
In my opinion we need a team work to find the issue. Another possibility is it's an Apple bug.
Mojave 10.14.2 works great.
The same issue I believe is with the latest High Sierra update.

I had to reinstall everything back to 10.14.2. I needed to use FCPX for a project I am working on and my real Macbook Pro is being borrowed by someone else. Speed is back to normal on 10.14.2. Will not update to 10.14.3 until someone figures it out.

Thanks for that!

Overnight, I discovered that I'd absentmindedly checked a couple options in Clover Configurator's Boot page. I'm dumb.

When I fixed that and re-booted - still using definition 18,3 - the display was back, but flickering and jumping and so on. Reverting to 18,1 fixed that.

ITM, I also created a (separate) Mojave disk from scratch using your ver.4.5.2 EFI, and it worked perfectly!

Only problem now - I can't get my email passwords to work. Also, my license for Paragon NTFS for Mac has lost its authentication. I think that losing the original serial number may have triggered it, is that what it is or am i missing something more obvious?

The Serial, Board Serial, and UUID should not impact your email passwords.

Your licenses for apps may be affected. Try contacting the makers of the app and tell them you got a new computer and the license isn't working. Also, be careful with NTFS enablers for macOS. They are notorious for causing problems.

Anyone else noticed a big decrease in GPU performance in the last few updates? My BruceX bench result went from 11 seconds to 18 seconds :(

Hey @pastrychef when setting up VGTab are you able to get Vega to stop spinning at idle?
Without VGTab the GPU fans don't spin at idle but after something uses the GPU they get stuck at 1500RPM until next reboot.
I tried setting the idle at zero in VGTab, it works and the fans stop spinning but the result is a loud coil wine, terminal shows me this:
"Fan Speed(%)"=1
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=97
"Temperature(C)"=36

I think the GPU is attempting to spin the fan slower than possible and causing the loud wine, not sure.
Any suggestion?

Anyone else noticed a big decrease in GPU performance in the last few updates? My BruceX bench result went from 11 seconds to 18 seconds :(

Hey @pastrychef when setting up VGTab are you able to get Vega to stop spinning at idle?
Without VGTab the GPU fans don't spin at idle but after something uses the GPU they get stuck at 1500RPM until next reboot.
I tried setting the idle at zero in VGTab, it works and the fans stop spinning but the result is a loud coil wine, terminal shows me this:
"Fan Speed(%)"=1
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=97
"Temperature(C)"=36

I think the GPU is attempting to spin the fan slower than possible and causing the loud wine, not sure.
Any suggestion?

Wow. Your Vega runs ridiculously cool. Mine is at about 40C with fan at 900rpm. So, no, I've never tried to set the fan to completely stop. The lowest I've ever tried to set my fan is 800rpm. At 900rpm, I can't hear it so that's fine for me.

Asus has officially released BIOS 1802. This will bring back the "Primary Display" option.

I had to reinstall everything back to 10.14.2. I needed to use FCPX for a project I am working on and my real Macbook Pro is being borrowed by someone else. Speed is back to normal on 10.14.2. Will not update to 10.14.3 until someone figures it out.
FCPX working very well in 14.3 ...
Attention to settings

"Fan Speed(%)"=1
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=97
"Temperature(C)"=36

Any suggestion?

the same thing, attention to settings .. to me the test is the same as in 13.6 or 14.2 ... if you check the drivers for AMD are the same as the date and size

Wow. Your Vega runs ridiculously cool. Mine is at about 40C with fan at 900rpm. So, no, I've never tried to set the fan to completely stop. The lowest I've ever tried to set my fan is 800rpm. At 900rpm, I can't hear it so that's fine for me.

"Device Utilization %"=14
"Fan Speed(%)"=29
"Core Clock(MHz)"=27
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=500
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=697
"Temperature(C)"=29

The Serial, Board Serial, and UUID should not impact your email passwords.

Your licenses for apps may be affected. Try contacting the makers of the app and tell them you got a new computer and the license isn't working.

Also, be careful with NTFS enablers for macOS. They are notorious for causing problems.

Thanks for that gem about NTFS/mac! Nobody tells you that :\.
You sir are a veritable foundry of knowledge on all things Hack - I salute you! :thumbup::thumbup:

Now I'm off to try my hand at this BIOS update thing.

Back