Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Yay!! Startup chime is working!!

I did as you did and used the sound.wav file from the Clovy theme.
Just as you experienced, the AMD on HDMI connectors didn't work for me and ONLY the green port in the rear worked.
For me, the first Realtek option was the one that worked.
There's a pop from my speakers when the audio driver is initialized and the chime plays immediately following the pop.
There's a second pop when macOS is loading. Neither of these two pops ever happened before.

NOTE: a new Clover version has been released since I posted (4862). When they release a new version so immediately after another new version, in my experience, that usually means 4861 has a bug, or some serious issue.......I will be upgrading later this morning....I'll let you know if I hit any real troubles with 4862....

It really is a work in progress.....but progress is being made none the less....

As I previously stated, I filed a bug report with Asus regarding loss of ability to choose "Primary Display" in BIOS with BIOS 1601. I've been transferred to several reps along the way. I'm assuming I was progressing up the priority lists. The latest email I received from them was yesterday and the rep just wanted to assure me that their engineers are still working on it.

I have the same thing going on for a MAXIMUS X HERO (BIOS 1801). A pragmatical interim solution offered by the engineer was to send me a preconfigured BIOS where iGPU MultiMonitor is enabled and PEG enabled for POST. Works fine so far, but of course it is still not possible to access these BIOS options in the mainboard´s management tool.

The Nvidia web drivers can be a bit of a PITA...
  • As of today, there are still no Nvidia web drivers for Mojave. Therefore, if you want to use your GTX 1070, you must use High Sierra, at least for now.
  • You MUST make sure that you have the correct build of the web drivers that correspond to the version of macOS.

There are several methods to make macOS use the Nvidia web drivers.
  1. Launch Terminal and enter: sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"
  2. In config.plist > Boot, enable nvda_drv=1
  3. In config.plist > System Parameters, enable NvidiaWeb

Thanks so much for guiding us wretched souls out of hackintosh pergatory !!!
So .... here's more info on my situation (EFI screen shots with config.list attached) ... I have:

--10.12.6 (16G29)
--Nvidia web driver: 378.05.05.25f01 (up to date, correct version for 16G29)
--bios version: 1002 x64 (built date 07/02/2018 / EC version: mbec-z370-0203 / me firmware: 11.8.50.3470)
--using your EFI (high Sierra) folder
-- 4X8 (32GB) Ram (G.Skill DDR4-3000 / CL-16-18-18-38 1.35v) Manufact#: F4-3000C16D-16GISB

Here are my 2 current problems:

I. START-UP

**can only boot into USB stick**

== when trying to boot into HD (BTW:the drive is recognized by bios), start-up goes straight into the mobo bios (and again after save and exit) ==

possible problems:

(a) the bios (see end of this post for bios settings) "Secure Boot state" is enabled and greyed out -- can't changed to "disabled" (is this necessary ... is this a bios ver. problem? If I need to flash or update, where and how do I best do so?)
(b) I have 4 unmapped RAM sticks that show up in bios and apple system report:
--the report has the correct speed: 3000MHz, but it isn't correctly reading the whole Part# correctly (F4-3000C16-8GISB, instead of the full: F4-3000C16D-16GISB) and the memory slot description seems weird: Bank 0/Dimm0 / Bank1/Dimm0 / Bank0/DIMM1 / Bank1/Dimm1). AND/HOWEVER/BUT ...
--the speed in the mobo bios only registers as 2133MHz (under Dram status), but when I switch X.M.P. to "enabled", profile #1 appears and reads out my RAM's Mhz, latency values and voltages correctly (but the erroneous Dram stuatus values remain)
(c) after installation, I didn't do multibeast, but just put your EFI (High Sierra) into the HD EFI partition (was something not added that should have been?)
(d) Every time I open the HD Efi partition, an extra EFI folder (w/ only the apple/extensions folder in it) has been added to your EFI (high Sierra) folder

II. GRAPHICS

** 1070 not recognized in HD start-up **

== first time I fired up the mobo with graphics card, the bios came back saying that my graphics card wasn't UeFI recognized ==

things tried:

(a) added EmuVariableUEFI-66 (not sure what ver., but says it was created June 20, 2017) to HD EFI folder .... to NO avail (in HD start-up/boot attempt)
(b) I already had checked the Nvidia #2 and #3 perimeters you suggested above ... to no avail in HD boot/start-up... it goes back to "OS X Default Graphics Driver"..... BUT --->

** 1070 recognized in Clover USB boot **

(1) replaced the USB boot-up EFI folder (which in it's original form also wasn't recognizing the Nvidia card) with the HD EFI folder (which isn't loading because I can't boot to HD) and ----> SUCCESS ... card recognized using the HD EFI folder (incl. it's config.list) when booting into USB boot:
--Nvidia web driver loads (not "OS X default")
--apple sys report sees and reports correctly on the 1070
--no more screen fluttering, slowness, breaks in screen imaging

BUT .... this is only in the usb boot .... how to get this same efi folder working in the HD boot (which it presumably would if I could only get the system to boot from the HD)?

---------------------------------

* Bios settings:

Boot-->Fast Boot: disabled
Boot-->CSM-->Launch CSM: Enabled
Boot-->CSM-->boot device control:UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Boot-->CSM-->from network/storage/PCI: Legacy only
Boot-->SECURE BOOT--> secure boot state: enabled (grey out=can't change)
Boot-->SECURE BOOT--> Platform keystate:unloaded(greyed out)
Boot-->SECURE BOOT--> OS type : other OS
Boot option#1: SATA6G_1:St4000
Boot override: SATA6G_1:ST4000

ADVANCED:

(1) Platform misc Config-->

PCI express NPM: disabled
PCH DMI ASPM: disabled
ASPM:disabled
L1 substaes: diasbaled
PCI Express Clock Gating: enabled
DMI Link ASPM Control: disabled
PEG-ASPM:disabled

(2)SystemAgent Config-->

vt-d:disabled
above 4G decoding: enabled

GRAPHICS CONFIG:
Primary display: PCIE
iGPU Multi-Monitor:disabled

PEG PORT CONFIG:
PCIEX16X8: auto

MEMORY CONFIG:
memory Remap:enabled

(3) PCH Config-->
PCI Express Config--> IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: enabled

(4) PCH Storage config:
sata controller: enabled
sata mode:ahci
agreesive LPM: disabled
Sata6G: ST4000DM004

(5)APM Config-->
erp ready:disabled
power on by PCI-E:enabled
Power on by RTC: disabled

(6)Network stack-->
Network stack: disabled

(7)USB config
Legacy USB support: enabled
USB Keyb & Mouse Simulator: disabled

-------------------------------
*see attachment for config list and screen shots of EFI folder contents:

Attachments

• config.plist
    10.5 KB · Views: 111
  • efi01.png
    efi01.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 49
  • efi02.png
    efi02.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 57
  • efi03.png
    efi03.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
SOLUTION: After much trial and error and getting the same response every time, I finally changed form using the DVI output of the RX580 and hooked up to the HDMI-port instead. Et Voila! There's my signal again, the machine hadn't crashed at all. For some reason the DVI-out of the RX580 seems to get forgotten 2/3 of the way through booting - HDMI is fine though. Unfortunately I don't have any DisplayPort monitors or adapters to verify if those are ok.

I had the same issue, my new display hadn't arrived and I only had a DVI monitor. I then plugged in my projector via HDMI, but no luck. Then I fiddled around with the BIOS settings, made sure everything was in order. And suddenly there was no black screen and the DVI worked. It was really odd, I'm still unsure why it suddenly turned out to be working.

Cheers to our working screen!

I have the same thing going on for a MAXIMUS X HERO (BIOS 1801). A pragmatical interim solution offered by the engineer was to send me a preconfigured BIOS where iGPU MultiMonitor is enabled and PEG enabled for POST. Works fine so far, but of course it is still not possible to access these BIOS options in the mainboard´s management tool.

It's good to know that others have filed bug reports too. Hopefully, they get this resolved soon.

Thanks so much for guiding us wretched souls out of hackintosh pergatory !!!
So .... here's more info on my situation (EFI screen shots with config.list attached) ... I have:

--10.12.6 (16G29)
--Nvidia web driver: 378.05.05.25f01 (up to date, correct version for 16G29)
--bios version: 1002 x64 (built date 07/02/2018 / EC version: mbec-z370-0203 / me firmware: 11.8.50.3470)
--using your EFI (high Sierra) folder
-- 4X8 (32GB) Ram (G.Skill DDR4-3000 / CL-16-18-18-38 1.35v) Manufact#: F4-3000C16D-16GISB

Here are my 2 current problems:

I. START-UP

**can only boot into USB stick**

== when trying to boot into HD (BTW:the drive is recognized by bios), start-up goes straight into the mobo bios (and again after save and exit) ==

possible problems:

(a) the bios (see end of this post for bios settings) "Secure Boot state" is enabled and greyed out -- can't changed to "disabled" (is this necessary ... is this a bios ver. problem? If I need to flash or update, where and how do I best do so?)
(b) I have 4 unmapped RAM sticks that show up in bios and apple system report:
--the report has the correct speed: 3000MHz, but it isn't correctly reading the whole Part# correctly (F4-3000C16-8GISB, instead of the full: F4-3000C16D-16GISB) and the memory slot description seems weird: Bank 0/Dimm0 / Bank1/Dimm0 / Bank0/DIMM1 / Bank1/Dimm1). AND/HOWEVER/BUT ...
--the speed in the mobo bios only registers as 2133MHz (under Dram status), but when I switch X.M.P. to "enabled", profile #1 appears and reads out my RAM's Mhz, latency values and voltages correctly (but the erroneous Dram stuatus values remain)
(c) after installation, I didn't do multibeast, but just put your EFI (High Sierra) into the HD EFI partition (was something not added that should have been?)
(d) Every time I open the HD Efi partition, an extra EFI folder (w/ only the apple/extensions folder in it) has been added to your EFI (high Sierra) folder

II. GRAPHICS

** 1070 not recognized in HD start-up **

== first time I fired up the mobo with graphics card, the bios came back saying that my graphics card wasn't UeFI recognized ==

things tried:

(a) added EmuVariableUEFI-66 (not sure what ver., but says it was created June 20, 2017) to HD EFI folder .... to NO avail (in HD start-up/boot attempt)
(b) I already had checked the Nvidia #2 and #3 perimeters you suggested above ... to no avail in HD boot/start-up... it goes back to "OS X Default Graphics Driver"..... BUT --->

** 1070 recognized in Clover USB boot **

(1) replaced the USB boot-up EFI folder (which in it's original form also wasn't recognizing the Nvidia card) with the HD EFI folder (which isn't loading because I can't boot to HD) and ----> SUCCESS ... card recognized using the HD EFI folder (incl. it's config.list) when booting into USB boot:
--Nvidia web driver loads (not "OS X default")
--apple sys report sees and reports correctly on the 1070
--no more screen fluttering, slowness, breaks in screen imaging

BUT .... this is only in the usb boot .... how to get this same efi folder working in the HD boot (which it presumably would if I could only get the system to boot from the HD)?

---------------------------------

* Bios settings:

Boot-->Fast Boot: disabled
Boot-->CSM-->Launch CSM: Enabled
Boot-->CSM-->boot device control:UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Boot-->CSM-->from network/storage/PCI: Legacy only
Boot-->SECURE BOOT--> secure boot state: enabled (grey out=can't change)
Boot-->SECURE BOOT--> Platform keystate:unloaded(greyed out)
Boot-->SECURE BOOT--> OS type : other OS
Boot option#1: SATA6G_1:St4000
Boot override: SATA6G_1:ST4000

ADVANCED:

(1) Platform misc Config-->

PCI express NPM: disabled
PCH DMI ASPM: disabled
ASPM:disabled
L1 substaes: diasbaled
PCI Express Clock Gating: enabled
DMI Link ASPM Control: disabled
PEG-ASPM:disabled

(2)SystemAgent Config-->

vt-d:disabled
above 4G decoding: enabled

GRAPHICS CONFIG:
Primary display: PCIE
iGPU Multi-Monitor:disabled

PEG PORT CONFIG:
PCIEX16X8: auto

MEMORY CONFIG:
memory Remap:enabled

(3) PCH Config-->
PCI Express Config--> IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: enabled

(4) PCH Storage config:
sata controller: enabled
sata mode:ahci
agreesive LPM: disabled
Sata6G: ST4000DM004

(5)APM Config-->
erp ready:disabled
power on by PCI-E:enabled
Power on by RTC: disabled

(6)Network stack-->
Network stack: disabled

(7)USB config
Legacy USB support: enabled
USB Keyb & Mouse Simulator: disabled

-------------------------------
*see attachment for config list and screen shots of EFI folder contents:
  • Try updating BIOS to something newer. I think BIOS 1412 is a good choice. Early versions of BIOS had issues with RAM.
  • Keep all BIOS settings stock and only make the changes as shown in post #1. XMP can also be enabled in addition to the settings in post#1. Try with CSM on and off.
  • Get rid of EmuVaribleUEFI. You must run the uninstaller to get rid of it.
  • Use the High Sierra EFI folder from post #1.

I don't understand what you mean when you say: "(d) Every time I open the HD Efi partition, an extra EFI folder (w/ only the apple/extensions folder in it) has been added to your EFI (high Sierra) folder"

Make sure you copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition of the main system drive.
Make sure that you set your main system drive to be first in boot order in BIOS.

As I previously stated, I filed a bug report with Asus regarding loss of ability to choose "Primary Display" in BIOS with BIOS 1601. I've been transferred to several reps along the way. I'm assuming I was progressing up the priority lists. The latest email I received from them was yesterday and the rep just wanted to assure me that their engineers are still working on it.

That's the next strange things.
I have the same BIOS version, and I have the possibility to choose "Primary Display".
I had updated directly from the BIOS through the network.
I'm no expert, but it's clear that there's something different.

190125181154.jpg190125181236.jpg190125181251.jpg190125181426.jpg

Hello, I'm on the latest version of Mojave (10.14.2) and am experiencing a little issue with Preview. When opening most jpeg or png files, Preview becomes unresponsive and doesn't open the file. I looked this issue up and found the following guide to fix it: [HOW TO] Fix QuickLook and Preview loading issues in Mojave. This guide lists multiple solutions: can you advise me as to which one is the best one with this motherboard? Thanks

@KingKPS I had the same issue because in the BIOS I had not enabled the CPU's built-in graphics. You want to enable that in the BIOS -- while also being sure to set the PRIMARY display device to be your RX580 Graphics card. (If you don't set your graphics card to primary display, when you reboot you won't see the clover boot screen, though Mojave will eventually come up.) Setting this correctly will tell the CPU to render JPEGS and they will be visible in preview app.

I have finished putting together my successful Hackintosh based on PastryChef’s build and offer a few notes and a photo:

• I used Asus ROG Strix Z370-G as he did.
• Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W.
• 32 GB CRUCIAL RAM as 4x 8 2133MHz unbuffered and non-ECC DDR4 DIMM
• SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified (I will be upgrading this later to a 600 watt similar model to support video cards 500 w. power demands.)
• Case fan: Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm Fan
• CPU fan : Noctua NH-U9S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan (Brown)
• GPU: Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB Graphics Card running over HDMI
• Fractal Design Core 1000 Black MATX Mini Tower.
• 3 500GB Samsung EVO 850 Sata drives.

My intention was to replace my old, huge CoolerMaster ATX full size Hackintosh with a smaller, more up-to-date rig. At the same time I moved from El Capitan to Mojave 10.4.3. My install went normally (a few issues but that is normal for Hackintoshing.) It was ESSENTIAL to uSE PASTRYCHEF’S MOJAVE EFI FOLDER. I could not get a reliable boot with the EFI that uniBeast/multibeast had created. I replaced it using the EFI Pastrychef created. This was a lifesaver.

After I put in the Pastrychef EFI, everything just worked. I am running wired ethernet to my LAN so I don’t need a wifi card. Next, I will add a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD as my boot drive and a Seasonic 600 watt power supply.

***Feb 19, 2019: Cloned my Samsung Evo Sata boot drive to the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 SS using CarbonCopy Cloner. Now booting from NVMe M.2 drive. Is it faster? Subjectively it feels like if might be 10% snappier but it's not a huge difference. I have not upgraded my power supply because it seems like I am OK using this calculator: https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator

My cable management is not perfect, but I can't get crazy...

I run Carbon Copy Cloner to periodically clone my entire boot SSD drive to a backup SSD. Carbon Copy Cloner includes the EFI segment and creates a bootable backup. This has been extremely useful in Hackintoshing, since if anything goes wrong I can just “revert” to a previous week in time, and recreate a working boot drive easily. If you are hackintoshing spending $40 on CCC can save you days of headache.

I will think about upgrading to a 4K monitor soon.

This is a VERY quiet machine, intended as a desktop workstation (photoshop, etc.) Right now the loudest noise is the Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm Fan. It’s hooked to chassis_fan_1 on the motherboard and is spinning at about 1300 rpm. I need to figure out how to slow it down to 800. I tried that in the BIOS but no go so far.

Total cost (various sources) is less than $700. When I put in similar specs for an iMac on the Apple Store, it was $3699.

Attachments

• walt2019.jpg
    walt2019.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 69
  • equal.jpg
    equal.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Back