Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I've explained before...

• Putting all my hackintosh kexts in to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ is not the recommended way.
  • Putting them in /Library/Extensions/ is.
  • I do it this way because I have never experienced any problems doing so and I like the convenience this method offers.
  • It's up to each individual user which location they choose.
  1. If you choose to follow what I've done, just take the EFI folder in post #1 and put it in your EFI partition.
  2. Make sure there are no duplicate kexts in /Library/Extensions/.
  3. Done.

Do not mix and match different methods from different guides. Everyone does things slightly differently. Mixing and matching will only cause problems.
Thanks for the clarification

Thanks for the clarification

I started a poll a while back asking where others put their kexts...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/where-do-you-place-your-hackintosh-kexts.246611/

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 8.07.04 PM.png

As of today, 2/3 of the respondents don't do it the recommended way while only about a quarter of the people do...

It's not recommended that we jay walk or drive with one hand either...

Last edited:
Hey @scottkendall, debating updating my system to a similar build. So your iTunes movies play ok? Could you explain more about what you mean by 'allowing WG to do it iTunes works'...not sure I follow what you did.

In @pastrychef EFI he has renames under ACPI but he also has Whatevergreen (WG) but his Movies in iTunes do not play (or at least at the time I made that post). I found when those renames were in my Config as well movies did not play. However, when I removed them and just let WG do its thing movies played.

Also this was specific to IGPU being enabled when it was with the renames movies did not play. When it was disabled they played. But then hardware compression did not work since it uses the IGPU.

In @pastrychef EFI he has renames under ACPI but he also has Whatevergreen (WG) but his Movies in iTunes do not play (or at least at the time I made that post). I found when those renames were in my Config as well movies did not play. However, when I removed them and just let WG do its thing movies played.

Also this was specific to IGPU being enabled when it was with the renames movies did not play. When it was disabled they played. But then hardware compression did not work since it uses the IGPU.

Got it, thanks! That’s what I experience in my build now. IGPU helps Final Cut but disabled iTunes, when it’s off movies play but Final Cut slows.

@pastrychef I am in the middle of a build and my install freezes at the 2 minute left mark. I followed your bios guide for my board and created a new usb boot disk.

dmdccc suggested I use his EFI. I am not sure where to find it or how to use it. Do I just copy the contents into the EFI partition of my boot USB? Is there a place where these files are kept? Is EFI an acronym or used interchangeably with another term?

Thanks.

@pastrychef I am in the middle of a build and my install freezes at the 2 minute left mark. I followed your bios guide for my board and created a new usb boot disk.

dmdccc suggested I use his EFI. I am not sure where to find it or how to use it. Do I just copy the contents into the EFI partition of my boot USB? Is there a place where these files are kept? Is EFI an acronym or used interchangeably with another term?

Thanks.

Try booting in verbose mode to see where it gets stuck.

Idk who dmdccc is or where his/her EFI folder is.

Typically, you just take an EFI folder and copy it to the EFI partition of your boot drive.

Yes, EFI is an acronym. It stands for Extensible Firmware Interface. It is also the name of the folder which contains most (or all) of the stuff that makes macOS run on non-Apple hardware.

If you are having a lot of trouble installing macOS to your PC, you can always try:
  1. (1) Doing a clean install from your Mac or (2) clone your existing system drive from your Mac to a new drive.
  2. Copy a working EFI folder to the EFI partition of the new drive.
  3. Transplant the drive back to your PC.

pastrychef, thanks for the great guide and for taking the time to put it together! I've been able to get my build up and running:

Mojave 10.14.2
Asus Maximus X Hero, BIOS 1704
Sapphire Vega 64
i9-9900k 5GHz OC with Vcore = 1.26

A few questions I was hoping to get some help with

1) As mm2margaret noted in post #4253, it seems like with the newer Asus BIOS's and the 9900k, there is no longer an option to set the primary display (to either PEG or IGPU). It's just not there under the system agent configuration options. All that's left is to set multi-monitor to enable (which then brings up render standby, etc) or disabled. The problem with enabling multi-monitor without being able to set primary display, is that it appears that the iGPU is always set as the default primary display, so unless there's a monitor hooked up to the motherboard video outputs, there's no way to see the POST and get into BIOS. So I've left multi-monitor disabled, which to me means that the iGPU should be disabled. There's also no discreet BIOS setting to enable or disable the IGPU. However, when I check with VDADecoderchecker and MacXvideo, both programs state that hardware acceleration is enabled. Do you or anyone know if it that means the iGPU is indeed working, or could these programs just be seeing hardware acceleration provided by the VEGA. Is there a definitive way to check if hardware encoding/decoding with the IGPU is working?

2) Once Mojave is booted, it's shutting down my CPU fans as the system idles. They spin back up under load, but it's quite disconcerting especially since I have a overclocked 9900k, and a watercooled build, and keeping the CPU cool is pretty imporant, especially with heat the 9900k can generate (as you know!). I've never had this happen before in a hackintosh, where the OS appears to be able to override the BIOS fan settings. I can only guess it's related to the FakeSMC's in the EFI folder, but is there a way to have the BIOS fan settings take priority, or at least remove fan control from Mojave?

Thanks again for your help!

Attached are the BIOS screenshots showing the lack of a "Primary Display" option under system agent configuration

Last edited:
Try booting in verbose mode to see where it gets stuck.

Idk who dmdccc is or where his/her EFI folder is.

Typically, you just take an EFI folder and copy it to the EFI partition of your boot drive.

Yes, EFI is an acronym. It stands for Extensible Firmware Interface. It is also the name of the folder which contains most (or all) of the stuff that makes macOS run on non-Apple hardware.

If you are having a lot of trouble installing macOS to your PC, you can always try:
  1. (1) Doing a clean install from your Mac or (2) clone your existing system drive from your Mac to a new drive.
  2. Copy a working EFI folder to the EFI partition of the new drive.
  3. Transplant the drive back to your PC.

Thanks for the help. One other niggling issue:

I have 2 enermax fans connected to the enermax hub. They are being used as the radiator fans and are the only fans in my system (TT Core PI). As a result, there is nothing connected to my CPU fan and I keep getting an error asking me to connect one.

Do you have any idea how I should connect them? I've searched online for hours.

Thanks again.

Pastry Chef...any idea why I can't get sleep based on the following?

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

Last login: Sun Dec 16 14:53:04 on console

Bruces-iMac-6:~ brogovin$ log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

log: warning: The log archive contains partial or missing metadata

log: warning: The log archive contains partial or missing metadata

2018-11-20 16:07:30.799773-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

2018-11-20 16:07:30.799774-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

2018-11-20 19:46:27.626366-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

2018-11-20 19:46:27.626367-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

2018-11-20 22:07:59.575777-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

2018-11-20 22:07:59.575778-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

2018-11-20 23:11:11.833147-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

2018-11-20 23:11:11.833148-0500 localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)

pmset -g assertions

Assertion status system-wide:

BackgroundTask 1

ApplePushServiceTask 0

UserIsActive 1

PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0

PreventSystemSleep 0

ExternalMedia 0

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 1

NetworkClientActive 0

Listed by owning process:

pid 100(hidd): [0x000001af000981ff] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294968127.3"

Timeout will fire in 60 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease

pid 278(sharingd): [0x000001bf00018272] 00:01:27 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff"

pid 339(useractivityd): [0x00000211000183e9] 00:00:05 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "BTLEAdvertisement"

Timeout will fire in 54 secs Action=TimeoutActionTurnOff

pid 79(apsd): [0x00000217000b83fa] 00:00:00 ApplePushServiceTask named: "com.apple.apsd-datareceived-push.apple.com"

pid 266(cloudphotosd): [0x00000038000b81e3] 00:07:59 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.cloudphotosd.darkwake.sync"

Details: cloudphotosd darkwake power assertion for initial and large iCPL downloads/uploads

Timeout will fire in 1320 secs Action=TimeoutActionTurnOff

pid 255(nsurlsessiond): [0x00000217000183fb] 00:00:00 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "NSURLSessionTask 20DF1AD4-42B5-48C4-AFA4-C2D366B6F395"

pid 255(nsurlsessiond): [0x00000215000183f9] 00:00:02 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "NSURLSessionTask 1F713337-00B8-4EB1-B634-111DFED0A9C5"

pid 554(AddressBookSourceSync): [0x000001fe000183ac] 00:00:25 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Address Book Source Sync"

Timeout will fire in 1775 secs Action=TimeoutActionTurnOff

Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB

id=500 level=255 0x4=USB mod=12/31/69, 7:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14200000 owner=USB Receiver

id=501 level=255 0x4=USB mod=12/31/69, 7:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14100000 owner=Keyboard Hub

Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

Thanks

pastrychef, thanks for the great guide and for taking the time to put it together! I've been able to get my build up and running:

Mojave 10.14.2
Asus Maximus X Hero, BIOS 1704
Sapphire Vega 64
i9-9900k 5GHz OC with Vcore = 1.26

A few questions I was hoping to get some help with

1) As mm2margaret noted in post #4253, it seems like with the newer Asus BIOS's and the 9900k, there is no longer an option to set the primary display (to either PEG or IGPU). It's just not there under the system agent configuration options. All that's left is to set multi-monitor to enable (which then brings up render standby, etc) or disabled. The problem with enabling multi-monitor without being able to set primary display, is that it appears that the iGPU is always set as the default primary display, so unless there's a monitor hooked up to the motherboard video outputs, there's no way to see the POST and get into BIOS. So I've left multi-monitor disabled, which to me means that the iGPU should be disabled. There's also no discreet BIOS setting to enable or disable the IGPU. However, when I check with VDADecoderchecker and MacXvideo, both programs state that hardware acceleration is enabled. Do you or anyone know if it that means the iGPU is indeed working, or could these programs just be seeing hardware acceleration provided by the VEGA. Is there a definitive way to check if hardware encoding/decoding with the IGPU is working?

2) Once Mojave is booted, it's shutting down my CPU fans as the system idles. They spin back up under load, but it's quite disconcerting especially since I have a overclocked 9900k, and a watercooled build, and keeping the CPU cool is pretty imporant, especially with heat the 9900k can generate (as you know!). I've never had this happen before in a hackintosh, where the OS appears to be able to override the BIOS fan settings. I can only guess it's related to the FakeSMC's in the EFI folder, but is there a way to have the BIOS fan settings take priority, or at least remove fan control from Mojave?

Thanks again for your help!

Attached are the BIOS screenshots showing the lack of a "Primary Display" option under system agent configuration

Please download the attached version of IORegistryExplorer and post the output from it.

Yes, with the latest BIOS and 9th gen CPU, the GPU selection section is different from before. I do have my IGPU enabled. I'll take a screenshot when I'm back at my computer.

I've always been under the impression that fans connected to the motherboard are entirely controlled by the BIOS. Have you tried making adjustments to the Q Fan Control in BIOS?

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3.zip
    254.5 KB · Views: 46
Back