Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I embraced APFS since it was released with High Sierra. I've never had a problem with it. Trim is enabled by default with APFS. I don't think it's even possible to disable it in APFS.

Some of the Z370 motherboards are already starting to disappear from the market. I think manufacturers are replacing Z370 with Z390 and whatever is still out there are probably the last of Z370.
Will you update the guide for Mojave? Also what do you think about the 9900K for hackintosh ? Power management will not be native for sure.

Thanks for your reply , what is your cinebench scores with your Vega 64? I had 115 with the Rx 580 on amd hackintosh .

I just benched @145 but I don't think its really representative. I play as example Company of Heroes 2 on 4K all Ultra @50fps.

Will you update the guide for Mojave? Also what do you think about the 9900K for hackintosh ? Power management will not be native for sure.

There's nothing that needs updating. The procedure is the same.
  1. Make USB installer.
  2. Copy EFI folder.
  3. Install macOS.
  4. Copy EFI folder.
  5. Done.

A Mojave compatible EFI folder has been available since the public betas.

You can try the EFI folder from post #3479. Copy your current Serial, Board Serial, and UUID to the config.plist on that EFI. Remember to backup your existing/working EFI.
Everything seems stable now. Haven't had a single shutdown since I updated to EFI folder from post #3479. THANKS again.

I was waiting for main retailers in Canada to re-stock this motherboard, it was out of stock for the last 3 weeks.
Seems you are right, and it won't. CDW even says: This item was discontinued on October 08, 2018.
I like the micro ATX size, but seems there are not many other good choices for this form factor.
Which one do you think is the most similar ASUS motherboard in regular ATX size? ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING?

Sorry I have no HW info in my profile, I still haven't built my first Hackintosh.
Thanks
George

I was waiting for main retailers in Canada to re-stock this motherboard, it was out of stock for the last 3 weeks.
Seems you are right, and it won't. CDW even says: This item was discontinued on October 08, 2018.
I like the micro ATX size, but seems there are not many other good choices for this form factor.
Which one do you think is the most similar ASUS motherboard in regular ATX size? ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING?

Sorry I have no HW info in my profile, I still haven't built my first Hackintosh.
Thanks
George

Personally, I think they are all pretty similar... If I had to choose an ATX model, I'd probably look at the Strix Z370-E Gaming because it has an M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth.

Be aware that if you use both M.2 NVMe SSD slots, you will lose two SATA ports with the Z370-E.

Silence Is Golden

It has been about 2.5 weeks since Mojave was released, and we haven't really had any reports of issues. I'll take that as an indication that this build continues to run great. I know that my personal system has been rock solid. Yesterday, I had Handbrake running for about 7 hours straight with my CPU running full bore converting videos without any issues and the system remained remarkably quiet.

Just A Coincidence?

Due to there still being no Nvidia web drivers, most users with Nvidia graphics cards have not upgraded to Mojave yet. Is the lack of people reporting issues just a coincidence or is there a direct correlation to Nvidia cards and problems with macOS? Over half a year ago, I started recommending users avoid Nvidia cards for good reason. The quality of Nvidia web drivers were on a noticeable, steady decline and support for AMD cards were rapidly improving.

To those who feel that Nvidia cards outperform AMD cards, guess what... Any compatible AMD card will outperform GTX 1080 Ti or RTX 2080 Ti in Mojave because you can't use those Nvidia cards with Mojave.

At this stage in the game only chronic masochists would choose an Nvidia card to use with macOS.

There's nothing that needs updating. The procedure is the same.
  1. Make USB installer.
  2. Copy EFI folder.
  3. Install macOS.
  4. Copy EFI folder.
  5. Done.

A Mojave compatible EFI folder has been available since the public betas.
I will just wait about 1 month for Z390, read somewhere that you cannot use an M2 now?

I will just wait about 1 month for Z390, read somewhere that you cannot use an M2 now?

M.2 works fine on Z370.

On Z390, M.2 slots used for Intel CNVi will probably not be compatible with standard M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. As far as I know, there are no drivers for Intel USB 3.1 gen 2 in macOS yet either.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 12.38.19 PM.png
Source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...6155/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Last edited:
Hello, I just wanted to chip in that I am in the process of rebuilding my hackintosh. Have been with a i7-2600K and a legacy BIOS motherboard for what must be 6 years or so. Got kinda annoyed that I need to go through a strange two-step Clover selection at each reboot (due to Legacy BIOS maybe) and the system is getting a bit old, while still being pretty fast, and running High Sierra.

Already ordered the motherboard and CPU cooler from this build (have the larger Noctua NH-D15 now), also a 500GB Samsung EVO 970 M.2 SSD to be the OS disk. CPU will be i5-8600K since got it for 250€ instead of 380€ for the 8700K, and I will probably only get 16 GB RAM which will still be quite an upgrade from my current 8 GB. I have the Sapphire Pulse RX580 already on my system.

Looking forward to the installation, I would guess that it should go much as you instruct even with the different CPU and memory (will have to wait until the end of the month for the CPU, though).

Back