Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Don't worry about the USB 3.1 gen 2, they are not counted in the 15 port limit. They are on a separate controller.

Is your USB working now?

Yeap it's working now. I'm not sure if it's the cause of the random reboot previously. I guess I'll see.

If the 2 USB 3.1 gen 2 are not counted, we only have to disable 4 ports (HS11-14) to get the total number down to 15 right?
HS01-06 + SS01-06 + HS07 + HS09-10= 15 ports

Yeap it's working now. I'm not sure if it's the cause of the random reboot previously. I guess I'll see.

If the 2 USB 3.1 gen 2 are not counted, we only have to disable 4 ports (HS11-14) to get the total number down to 15 right?
HS01-06 + SS01-06 + HS07 + HS09-10= 15 ports

Which random reboots?

No, you have to exclude HS11-14 plus HS08 (not used), SS07-10 (not used), and USR1-USR2 (not used). A total of 11 ports need to be excluded to bring total down to 15.

I just tested "Take Photo" and "Scan Documents" (my first time trying) and ti worked perfectly with my iPhone X.

It appears that SMART status on my Samsung 970 EVO (NVMe) is also disabled. I'm sure I have it enabled in BIOS. I don't know why it's not working in macOS. SMART status is working for all my other drives.
Tried again today and it did work fine, I have no idea why it didn't before, I haven't changed anything since.
Same as me, SMART is enabled on all drives except for the system NVMe.

There remains one small issue. When I finish gaming (Company of Heroes 2 in 4K which is quite a heavy GPU usage game) the fan speed falls down to 1500RPM. A sleep and wake will put the GPU back in 0 RPM again. I hope some finds out if this can be enforced or fixed by another way.
I spoke too soon, same issue. After something pushes the GPU it the fans stay on when idle, for me sleep and wake doesn't make a difference.

Hey Chef, how are you?

I'm planning to move to Mojave soon, but before I do that I want to make a fusion drive.
I have 256 SSD and 1TB HDD. Do you have a experience with that?

As far as I understood the best way is just to make a fresh Mojave installation and then use time machine to restore all the apps and files, right?

Tried again today and it did work fine, I have no idea why it didn't before, I haven't changed anything since.
Same as me, SMART is enabled on all drives except for the system NVMe.

I spoke too soon, same issue. After something pushes the GPU it the fans stay on when idle, for me sleep and wake doesn't make a difference.

Did you use the VGTab utility?

Hey Chef, how are you?

I'm planning to move to Mojave soon, but before I do that I want to make a fusion drive.
I have 256 SSD and 1TB HDD. Do you have a experience with that?

As far as I understood the best way is just to make a fresh Mojave installation and then use time machine to restore all the apps and files, right?

I've never configured a Fusion drive.

I would just configure the Fusion drive and clone my existing drive to it and upgrade. I have more faith in this method than Time Machine.

I've never configured a Fusion drive.

I would just configure the Fusion drive and clone my existing drive to it and upgrade. I have more faith in this method than Time Machine.
Alright, need to do a research on how to clone my drive and upgrade OS haha :)

Thanks!

Which random reboots?

Unfortunately after all the USB remapping, my computer still has random reboot with a notice of kernel panic upon the next boot.

I've done RAM check without any errors. Windows 10 can run well and play demanding games without issue. I'm not sure where the problem is.

Attached is the kernel panic log. Not sure if you can help decipher it.

Attachments

• reboot.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 104
Unfortunately after all the USB remapping, my computer still has random reboot with a notice of kernel panic upon the next boot.

I've done RAM check without any errors. Windows 10 can run well and play demanding games without issue. I'm not sure where the problem is.

Attached is the kernel panic log. Not sure if you can help decipher it.

I don't see anything in the log that gives any indication of what's wrong. All the kexts seem to be loaded. Everything should work. The USB2 being set to 3 instead of 0 should not cause panics anyway. Important thing is to be at 15 ports or less and you are.

If you are overclocked, try without any overclock. Try with XMP disabled.

Last edited:
If you are overclocked, try without any overclock. Try with XMP disabled.

I'll try that. Although at 4.7Ghz, windows 10 does not cause any issue. Maybe OS X is not as fault-tolerant as windows. I hope it fixes the crashes.

Thanks.

Back