Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

All you need to do is make the following change.
View attachment 347919
Don't make any changes to your kexts.

When you get your Vega card, revert back to the previous setting in config.plist.

Just sold my nvidia!

Youhou the AMD guy drove 700km today to pick them up (Vega 64) for just 511 euro in north of Germany. Almost Denmark. He will send them out today. Expecting it to delivered next monday ;-)

Attachments

• dc32da5a-9af9-41b5-8fbe-4923b78e0e84.jpg
    dc32da5a-9af9-41b5-8fbe-4923b78e0e84.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 269
Just sold my nvidia!

Youhou the AMD guy drove 700km today to pick them up (Vega 64) for just 511 euro in north of Germany. Almost Denmark. He will send them out today. Expecting it to delivered next monday ;-)

I updated post #1 with new benchmark results from my Vega 56 with Vega Fan Fix, Liquid Metal, and macOS High Sierra 17G2112. The screenshots are at the bottom of the post.

All you need to do is make the following change.
View attachment 347919
Don't make any changes to your kexts.

When you get your Vega card, revert back to the previous setting in config.plist.

Working thx! I think in the meanwhile its time to make a nice fresh install. I want the Radeon to think that it's just inserted into a nice clean pc and not into a slutty woman ;-)

Last edited:
I would like to thank you for this awesome guide. I ended up going with the same motherboard, same CPU and an AMD card as well. In my case, the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega56 8G.

Unfortunately I can't boot into the installer. I use Unibeast 8.1.0, and when it's done I replace the EFI directory with the 4.3 one from your post. When I boot, it successfully launches Clover, then I see the Apple logo, and a couple of seconds later my computer reboots.

Any idea what might be causing this, or how I could go about debugging it?

edit: To give some extra information, I used UEFI boot method, not the legacy method. Besides copying over the 4.3 EFI directory I made no changes.

I was able to follow the guide to the letter, except for "RC6" and "DVMT Pre-Allocated" which don't appear for me. However I have BIOS version 0430 so I'll update it to 1002 to see if that works, since I saw that someone else in this thread also did that (to get 60hz display in their case).

edit: I can boot, but something is wrong...

Found out that for some reason, "primary display" was set to "auto" instead of PCIE. I think it might be incompatible with iGPU Multi Monitor, because when I select that it jumps back to the other setting. I set it to PCIE and set multi monitor to disabled.

Also, I updated the BIOS to 1002.

Here's what happens now:

YKwnkJ9.jpg

cST0mui.jpg

I can move the mouse, the installer probably works, but my screen is the size of a postage stamp. It looks like 640x480 to me, but with retina enabled...

edit: went through the BIOS section again. I think since updating some settings might have changed. I now see RC6 and DMVT as well, which I didn't see before even after updating. I've set everything to the same as yours. Unfortunately it didn't help, still a tiny screen.

Last edited:
I would like to thank you for this awesome guide. I ended up going with the same motherboard, same CPU and an AMD card as well. In my case, the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega56 8G.

Unfortunately I can't boot into the installer. I use Unibeast 8.1.0, and when it's done I replace the EFI directory with the 4.3 one from your post. When I boot, it successfully launches Clover, then I see the Apple logo, and a couple of seconds later my computer reboots.

Any idea what might be causing this, or how I could go about debugging it?

edit: To give some extra information, I used UEFI boot method, not the legacy method. Besides copying over the 4.3 EFI directory I made no changes.

I was able to follow the guide to the letter, except for "RC6" and "DVMT Pre-Allocated" which don't appear for me. However I have BIOS version 0430 so I'll update it to 1002 to see if that works, since I saw that someone else in this thread also did that (to get 60hz display in their case).

edit: I can boot, but something is wrong...

Found out that for some reason, "primary display" was set to "auto" instead of PCIE. I think it might be incompatible with iGPU Multi Monitor, because when I select that it jumps back to the other setting. I set it to PCIE and set multi monitor to disabled.

Also, I updated the BIOS to 1002.

Here's what happens now:

YKwnkJ9.jpg

cST0mui.jpg

I can move the mouse, the installer probably works, but my screen is the size of a postage stamp. It looks like 640x480 to me, but with retina enabled...

edit: went through the BIOS section again. I think since updating some settings might have changed. I now see RC6 and DMVT as well, which I didn't see before even after updating. I've set everything to the same as yours. Unfortunately it didn't help, still a tiny screen.

Wow. I've never see that happen. What kind of monitor are you using? What connection are you using to connect to monitor? DisplayPort? HDMI? DVI?

Monitor is an Asus PB279Q. It's connected through DisplayPort on the GPU. I'm going to try some more things to see if I can make it work.

edit: should maybe add that the Apple logo isn't minuscule.

Monitor is an Asus PB279Q. It's connected through DisplayPort on the GPU. I'm going to try some more things to see if I can make it work.

edit: should maybe add that the Apple logo isn't minuscule.

DisplayPort usually works best. I really don't know why you are getting the tiny little window.

When I encounter weird installation issues such as this, I try:
  1. Clone macOS from a working hack or Mac.
  2. Copy a working EFI folder to it.
  3. Transplant the entire drive to the new hack.

This has never failed me before.

Could I do that with a USB stick possibly? I just tried turning CSM off, which launches Clover in native resolution but unfortunately the installer doesn't boot, it's just an Apple logo forever without progress bar.

I'll try a different monitor.

The amazing thing is that the monitor reports running at full native resolution @ 60hz...

Could I do that with a USB stick possibly? I just tried turning CSM off, which launches Clover in native resolution but unfortunately the installer doesn't boot, it's just an Apple logo forever without progress bar.

I'll try a different monitor.

The amazing thing is that the monitor reports running at full native resolution @ 60hz...

I think using USB flash drive will be fine.

I don't think the monitor should be any problem. Maybe try a different DisplayPort connector on the video card?

Changing to the other DP connector doesn't make a difference. I changed to CPU Integrated graphics and switched my monitor to the motherboard's DP. That allowed it to get a little further in booting, and supposedly with the correct settings (looked like a full screen loading at native res). But then it crashed too ultimately.

Back