Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thanks. So is there a third M.2 socket? Or are you using one for your SSD and one for the Wifi / Bluetooth?

This motherboard has three M.2 slots. Two are for SSDs and one is for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. HS07 is connect to the third one only.
A15-22WxkpL._SL1500_.jpg

This motherboard has three M.2 slots. Two are for SSDs and one is for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. HS07 is connect to the third one only.
View attachment 334806
Oh wow, I didn't even realise that was a third M.2 slot. I should have bought an M.2 adaptor for the wifi. I bought a Broadcom BCM94360CD and a PCI express adaptor last week but they haven't arrived yet.

Oh wow, I didn't even realise that was a third M.2 slot. I should have bought an M.2 adaptor for the wifi. I bought a Broadcom BCM94360CD and a PCI express adaptor last week but they haven't arrived yet.

Wi-Fi/Bluetooth works better when connected to the M.2 slot.

Thank you for the wonderful guide pastrychef. I plan to follow it step by step as I assemble my machine. Have you tested this build with any adobe cc apps specifically premiere pro? I'm hoping to use a hackintosh as my primary editing machine and I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around why AMD works better than NVIDIA. Nothing I've read has given me a definitive answer as to which would be better for editing and rendering 4k in premiere. Hoping to know more about this before I take the plunge. Thanks!

Which GPU are you going for?

Which GPU are you going for?
As much as I want to go AMD, my build is small form factor and I need to keep temps and fan noise low. I'd like to go liquid cooled and right now it's just too difficult to find and too expensive to invest in an AMD Vega liquid cooled card. I'm thinking now, I'll give the GTX 1080 Hybrid a shot, as I've read some users here are having success getting the Nvidia drivers to run smoothly on High Sierra. I wouldn't be updating the OS frequently, but down the line I'll have to and that's where I'd be risking Nvidia driver support.

Now that I have the fan on my Vega running correctly and I've owned this Vega 56 long enough to know that there are no problems with it, it's time to void the warranty!

Anyone who has followed my builds know my affection for liquid metal thermal compound. Today, I decided it is time to apply some Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut to my Vega 56.

Stock Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut
Heaven Fan speed (%) 88 79
Heaven Fan speed (RPM) 4317 3876
Heaven Temperature (C) 77 73
Valley Fan speed (%) 86 78
Valley Fan speed (RPM) 4247 3826
Valley Temperature (C) 75 71

• The fan still ramps up and gets loud, but it's a bit more tolerable.
  • There was no discernible difference in frame rates.
  • Idle fan speed and temps are unchanged at 18%, 929rpm, and 42C.

Because there are so many little resistors that are very close to the GPU and HBM2, I applied some nail polish to the resistors prior to applying the Conductonaut to insulate them from any liquid metal that may spill over. Fortunately, none did.

IMG_2171.JPG IMG_5550.JPG IMG_7489.JPG IMG_2171.JPG IMG_1180.JPG IMG_2915.JPG IMG_5915.JPG IMG_7015.JPG IMG_4852.JPG

*Note: If anyone ever needs a replacement fan for their Vega, the part # is BFB1012SHA01.

Last edited:
Ok, I solved my Final Cut Pro / Crash-Problem...

The solution was fairly easy; I buyed a Geforce 1080Ti !
It even supports 4K/60Hz over HDMI what the Vega64 doesn't without an active DisplayPort Adapter.

@pastrychef
Why you don't go for a custom water-cool loop ?
Then your system would be nearly soundless.

Ok, I solved my Final Cut Pro / Crash-Problem...

The solution was fairly easy; I buyed a Geforce 1080Ti !
It even supports 4K/60Hz over HDMI what the Vega64 doesn't without an active DisplayPort Adapter.

@pastrychef
Why you don't go for a custom water-cool loop ?
Then your system would be nearly soundless.

Wow. I'm surprised to hear that your FCPX problem was due to the Vega 64... I wonder if the Vega 64 was crashing due to heat...

I am one of those who do not want water anywhere near my computer. Lol. Under normal usage, I can not hear my system. Only when heavily stressed do I hear the fans. I'm very happy with how my system is cooled.

Last edited:
Back