Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Do you think that is possible to upgrade from a 7700k/asus z270i to 8700k/asus z370i just by swapping the ssd?

Do you think that is possible to upgrade from a 7700k/asus z270i to 8700k/asus z370i just by swapping the ssd?

Yes. I did that. I just made some changes to my EFI folder and transplanted the SSD. It worked fine and I'm still using it right now. As a matter of fact, this macOS install dates back to around 2006 on my Mac Pro 1,1.

I'm impressed with the CPU temps and air cooling. Given the heat the 8700K creates, I assumed to overclock, a watercooler would be required. Seems not so. Volume and good airflow through the case must help.

Was watercooling ever a consideration?

I am thinking of a slightly smaller case but not full-blown SFF.

I'm impressed with the CPU temps and air cooling. Given the heat the 8700K creates, I assumed to overclock, a watercooler would be required. Seems not so. Volume and good airflow through the case must help.

Was watercooling ever a consideration?

I am thinking of a slightly smaller case but not full-blown SFF.

Personally, I try to stay away from water cooling. I remember how even many of the Apple made Power Mac G5s ended up leaking. If Apple couldn't do it right, what chance do I have? That's a worry I don't need in the back of my mind.

I considered for a long time which case to buy... I ended up choosing one that allowed for air flow to go straight from front to back and similar to how the air flows in the Mac Pro 1,1-5,1. I have been very happy with my decision.

Last edited:
Great Job,

and Good result, I've similar more single, less multi core score
Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 20.46.22.png

Right. Two fans pulling in the front and one exhaust in the top rear?

Edit: Ohhhhhh... inverted mobo and a single exhaust fan out the bottom rear with the top rear being a chamber for the psu. Nice.

Personally, I try to stay away from water cooling. I remember how even many of the Apple made Power Mac G5s ended up leaking. If Apple couldn't do it right, what chance do I have? That's a worry I don't need in the back of my mind.

I considered for a long time which case to buy... I ended up choosing one that allowed for air flow to go straight from front to back and similar to how the air flows in the Mac Pro 1,1-5,1. I have been very happy with my decision.

pastrychef,

What yours aml file (from EFI zip) intend to handle sleep wake issue? I'am just testing but it looks something weird now.

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. Two fans pulling in the front and one exhaust in the top rear?

Edit: Ohhhhhh... inverted mobo and a single exhaust fan out the bottom rear with the top rear being a chamber for the psu. Nice.

Rear fan is on the bottom, behind the heatsink.

Here's a picture I found on the internet, but my setup with heatsink and fans is identical to his.
180083.eeb1f8b78dcaba5bc8afe3148ca8b8d0.1600.jpg

As with the Mac Pro 1,1-5,1s:
  • Power supply is on top
  • PCI-e slots are situated above CPU/Heatsink
  • Two fans pulling air in
  • Fan nestled in between heatsink
  • Single rear fan pulling hot air out

pastrychef,

What yours aml file (from EFI zip) intend to handle sleep wake issue? I'am just testing but it looks something weird now.

P.

Oops. Those shouldn't be there. Let me delete them and replace the EFI.zip. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: To be clear, the presence of those .aml files should not cause any problems to get up and running. They can be deleted after installing macOS.

Last edited:
Back