Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

The system sleeps and stays asleep, no fans spin. can not be woken. unless i power the machine off by holding the power button.
No software, just a clean install.
what do you mean by serial numbers? as in the smbios? yes
i don't have a wifi/bluetooth card, just ethernet
i do not get any kennel panics.
the same issue happens if i was using Intel gfx or Nvidia, I've taken out my 1080ti. just to try fix issues before reinstalling it.
Whats interesting, if i put the machine to sleep and wake it up before the fans go to sleep, works fine.
just deep sleep?

On a clean install, it should sleep and wake fine. I've been using my system for several months now and it still sleeps and wakes as well now as it did when I first set everything up.

The only thing I can think of to try would be to disable hibernate. Here are instructions copied from RehabMan:

Resource: [Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops | tonymacx86.com

*Direct quote from above guide:
"Be aware that hibernation (suspend to disk or S4 sleep) is not supported on hackintosh.

You should disable it:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage
Always check your hibernatemode after updates and disable it. System updates tend to re-enable it, although the trick above (making sleepimage a directory) tends to help.

And it may be a good idea to disable the other hibernation related options:"
Code:
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

Beyond this, I would look at BIOS settings that may be preventing wake.

On a clean install, it should sleep and wake fine. I've been using my system for several months now and it still sleeps and wakes as well now as it did when I first set everything up.

The only thing I can think of to try would be to disable hibernate. Here are instructions copied from RehabMan:

Resource: [Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops | tonymacx86.com

*Direct quote from above guide:
"Be aware that hibernation (suspend to disk or S4 sleep) is not supported on hackintosh.

You should disable it:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage
Always check your hibernatemode after updates and disable it. System updates tend to re-enable it, although the trick above (making sleepimage a directory) tends to help.

And it may be a good idea to disable the other hibernation related options:"
Code:
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

Beyond this, I would look at BIOS settings that may be preventing wake.

How can i express my love towards you! can i send you flowers! ahahahah!
Yes, this has fixed sleep you star!!!!!
i wanted to ask you, is it possible to use both intel gfx and Nvidia, i use a dual monitor setup, i want the intel to power my other monitor, am i asking for trouble here ? :p
Also how essential is for your PCI card to show up in your PCI, in system report (is that just cosmetic?)

How can i express my love towards you! can i send you flowers! ahahahah!
Yes, this has fixed sleep you star!!!!!
i wanted to ask you, is it possible to use both intel gfx and Nvidia, i use a dual monitor setup, i want the intel to power my other monitor, am i asking for trouble here ? :p
Also how essential is for your PCI card to show up in your PCI, in system report (is that just cosmetic?)

I was recently asked the same question about IGPU from another user. If you followed my guide, the IGPU is already enabled, albeit in "headless" mode. This means that it's enabled for things like Quick Sync, AirPlay, etc. but NOT enable for video output. This is how IGPU is set up on real iMacs.

I provided the following instructions to the other user to enable the IGPU for video output and he reported success.
  1. Open config.plist with Clover Configurator.
  2. Go to Graphics section.
  3. Change ig-platform-id from 0x59120003 to 0x59120000.
  4. Save.
I've never tried this myself. I don't know how or if it will affect Quick Sync or AirPlay.

Under most circumstances, PCI-e cards will not show in System Information's PCI section when using an iMac system definition. There are ways to populate that section using patched DSDT/SSDT files, but, yes, they are just cosmetic. You can use the DPCI Manager app to obtain some PCI card info. It's a free app.

I was recently asked the same question about IGPU from another user. If you followed my guide, the IGPU is already enabled, albeit in "headless" mode. This means that it's enabled for things like Quick Sync, AirPlay, etc. but NOT enable for video output. This is how IGPU is set up on real iMacs.

I provided the following instructions to the other user to enable the IGPU for video output and he reported success.
  1. Open config.plist with Clover Configurator.
  2. Go to Graphics section.
  3. Change ig-platform-id from 0x59120003 to 0x59120000.
  4. Save.
I've never tried this myself. I don't know how or if it will affect Quick Sync or AirPlay.

Under most circumstances, PCI-e cards will not show in System Information's PCI section when using an iMac system definition. There are ways to populate that section using patched DSDT/SSDT files, but, yes, they are just cosmetic. You can use the DPCI Manager app to obtain some PCI card info. It's a free app.

wonderful, thank you.
The only thing (i say the only thing XD ... at the moment) is shutdown, seems to restart even with the shutdown fix applied on Clover

wonderful, thank you.
The only thing (i say the only thing XD ... at the moment) is shutdown, seems to restart even with the shutdown fix applied on Clover

Sometimes, USB devices can cause the reboot on shutdown to happen.

Hi Pastrychef and o-c all of you.

Thank you for contribution of this wonderfull guide. I'm encountering the same issue with the GTX1080Ti. My thinking was the same as yours "AMD or not to AMD" or "nVidia or not to nVidia". The problem is that I still think that the difference between the 1080ti (4k) compared to the AMD VEGA is too much in windows gaming(4k). I can sell my EVGA 1080ti for about 800 euros which is enough for buying a nice Asus Strix VEGA 64 card. But what about this idea?

Leave the 1080ti in my rig. Ban it from the whole OSX configuration.
Add a RX 560 or RX 580 (the one which is officially supported) to it. Hook up two cables one for the 1080ti and one for the RX 580 on my monitor I can switch the appropriate output either one of them. The PCIe lanes which will fall from 16 to 2x8 is not a big deal. I don't care spending 200 euro extra for an extra AMD card for OSX and leaving the 1080ti for windows serious gaming.
Can this be a handy solution? Or can it be a problem in windows? AMD and nVidia together? Or maybe just go for an old nVidia 680 which is natively supported. They can be picked up for about 70 euro.

Last edited:
Hi Pastrychef and o-c all of you.

Thank you for contribution of this wonderfull guide. I'm encountering the same issue with the GTX1080Ti. My thinking was the same as yours "AMD or not to AMD" or "nVidia or not to nVidia". The problem is that I still think that the difference between the 1080ti (4k) compared to the AMD VEGA is too much in windows gaming(4k). I can sell my EVGA 1080ti for about 800 euros which is enough for buying a nice Asus Strix VEGA 64 card. But what about this idea?

Leave the 1080ti in my rig. Ban it from the whole OSX configuration.
Add a RX 560 or RX 580 (the one which is officially supported) to it. Hook up two cables one for the 1080ti and one for the RX 580 on my monitor I can switch the appropriate output either one of them. The PCIe lanes which will fall from 16 to 2x8 is not a big deal. I don't care spending 200 euro extra for an extra AMD card for OSX and leaving the 1080ti for windows serious gaming.
Can this be a handy solution? Or can it be a problem in windows? AMD and nVidia together?

I have never considered this solution and have not read up on how to get this done. I just found a thread but haven't read it thoroughly. AMD and Nvidia graphic cards at same time | tonymacx86.com

Are you playing some sort of audio? This looks like it's your culprit.

pid 116(coreaudiod): [0x00006efa00018daa] 58:07:38 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.AppleHDAEngineOutput:1F,3,0,1,1:0.context.preventuseridlesleep"

Using the onboard audio but at the moment that I ran the code, I was not. What do you suggest? Thanks for looking.

pid 116(coreaudiod): [0x00006efa00018daa] 58:07:38 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.AppleHDAEngineOutput:1F,3,0,1,1:0.context.preventuseridlesleep"

Using the onboard audio but at the moment that I ran the code, I was not. What do you suggest? Thanks for looking.

Open Activity Monitor and look for PID 116 to see what's running.
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.07.29 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.01.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.01.27 AM.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 91
Back