Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hey Pastrychef, on the Gigabyte Boards we have to unlock MSR register, before we can use native NVRAM. Is this not necessary on your Asus Board?

As far as I know, NVRAM works on all Z370 motherboards and it has since day one. My Asus Z370-G Gaming has MSR unlocked from the factory but I don't know if that matters. I don't know if Asus Z390 motherboards have MSR unlocked from the factory.

On my Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming, I manually unlocked the MSR even when NVRAM wasn't working.

Last edited:
As far as I know, NVRAM works on all Z370 motherboards and it has since day one. My Asus Z370-G Gaming has MSR unlocked from the factory but I don't know if that matters. I don't know if Asus Z390 motherboards have MSR unlocked from the factory.

On my Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming, I manually unlocked the MSR even when NVRAM wasn't working.
Oh sorry, I was confused. You have a 370 Series. Thank you

@pastrychef I have a weird problem and I don't know why this happening. I am starting to use OpenCore which I really like. But when I boot Installer USB it shows the Russian language. The system and boot screen are English. I am using the same config files in USB installer but when I boot everything is in Russian.

The second problem is no AWAC in ioreg?

@pastrychef I have a weird problem and I don't know why this happening. I am starting to use OpenCore which I really like. But when I boot Installer USB it shows the Russian language. The system and boot screen are English. I am using the same config files in USB installer but when I boot everything is in Russian.

The second problem is no AWAC in ioreg?

Try:
config.plist > NVRAM > prev_lang:kbd:en-US:0

I don't have AWAC either. I never used the SSDT for it on either my Z370 or Z390. I never had any problems without it.

They have working NVRAM on Designare z390. I'M not sure if you saw that or not from unlocked MSR, and I think a slight mod. I did not really read into it only noticed that NVRAM is working on that board.

They have working NVRAM on Designare z390. I'M not sure if you saw that or not from unlocked MSR, and I think a slight mod. I did not really read into it only noticed that NVRAM is working on that board.

Yup. I've had working NVRAM on my Z390 for about a week now.

Yes, apparently, unlocked MSR is required. Fortunately, I had my MSR unlock since the beginning, even when NVRAM Wasn't working. Only other mod needed is the SSDT.

Yup. I've had working NVRAM on my Z390 for about a week now.

Yes, apparently, unlocked MSR is required. Fortunately, I had my MSR unlock since the beginning, even when NVRAM Wasn't working. Only other mod needed is the SSDT.

Cool! I just wanted to make sure that you did not miss that some how. Since I know you are really big on Native NVRAM. I am also considering getting that board since now NVRAM is going and TB3 works pretty well on that setup.

CCool! I just wanted to make sure that you did not miss that some how. Since I know you are really big on Native NVRAM. I am also considering getting that board since now NVRAM is going and TB3 works pretty well on that setup.

Thanks!!

Yeah, I've been stress testing since getting NVRAM working. It's been running 24/7 for almost 4 days straight with a medium load.

I think the latest BIOS fixed a lot of things and everything seems solid now. Once I'm satisfied enough with the stability, I'll finally start a build thread for that motherboard.

As I've said, I only have one Thunderbolt device, an OWC 10GbE adaptor, but it's been working well since day one.

As I've said, I only have one Thunderbolt device, an OWC 10GbE adaptor, but it's been working well since day one.

I was actually referring to the Designare Z390 except that it is $250+ :/

I can MAKE TB3 work but different problems arise from it working, like the system not sleeping and instead rebooting with a panic, or the hot swap not working. It always works if I plug the device in at the start and do not have an SSDT installed. I am hoping that by March there will be more info on doing a firmware swap. So that when I got to AZ for spring training my more advanced friends will be able to modify the Alpine or Titian ridge Firmware

I was actually referring to the Designare z390 except that it is $250+ :/

I can MAKE TB3 work but different problems arise from it working, like the system not sleeping and instead rebooting with a panic, or the hot swap not working. It always works if I plug the device in at the start and do not have an SSDT installed. I am hoping that by March there will be more info on doing a firmware swap. So that when I got to AZ for spring training my more advanced friends will be able to modify the Alpine or Titian ridge Firmware

I really don't have enough Thunderbolt devices to do proper testing... I have stayed away from less popular connectors since the demise of Firewire.

Back