Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390 Plus Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks. I'll try to give it a shot some time during the week... My schedules have been a bit chaotic...
Finally, found time and tested it. Really works. I attached my files if you need it you can look at it.

Note; Before restart remove old nvram.plist and EmuVariableUefi.efi.

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 00.31.11.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 00.30.52.png

Attachments

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Finally, found time and tested it. Really works. I attached my files if you need it you can look at it.

Note; Before restart remove old nvram.plist and EmuVariableUefi.efi.

View attachment 445896
View attachment 445897

Holy smokes!! It works!! I tested with Clover and OpenCore. I needed to clear NVRAM once before it all started to work, but after that, everything was smooth.

I'm going to have to reassess how I feel about Z390...

Much props to the guys at acidanthera!!!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus z390-i
CPU
Graphics
RX5700XT
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Color Classic
Working here too (Z390-I).

Can clean up the various scripts that were used to help persist the nvram.plist as well.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
iOS
Though my CPU is different (and my GPU), we both have a coffee lake processor and a similar motherboard (I have the -E) version. No matter what I do, Catalina 15.1.2 seems impossible to install. I've followed instructions, but no matter what I do when the MacOS utilities menu appears and I select a drive to install to, it boots me back to the MacOS utilities menu saying it failed to write to private. I've tried several USB sticks, ports, and different catalina installations.

Tried swapping VirtualSMC for FakeSMC, Mac Mini SMBIOS and iMac18,2/18,3 SMBIOS. Any idea what I could try? I have no idea how to fix the issue!

Thanks for your amazing guide though, it's gotten me further than anything so far. If I'm forgetting to provide any information please let me know!

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Though my CPU is different (and my GPU), we both have a coffee lake processor and the same motherboard. No matter what I do, Catalina 15.1.2 seems impossible to install. I've followed instructions, but no matter what I do when the MacOS utilities menu appears and I select a drive to install to, it boots me back to the MacOS utilities menu saying it failed to write to private. I've tried several USB sticks, ports, and different catalina installations.

Tried swapping VirtualSMC for FakeSMC, Mac Mini SMBIOS and iMac18,2/18,3 SMBIOS. Any idea what I could try? I have no idea how to fix the issue!

Thanks for your amazing guide though, it's gotten me further than anything so far.

Failed to write to private?? I've never heard of this error... Can you please provide a picture?

Did you use Disk Utility to initialize your drive to APFS/GUID?

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
iOS
Failed to write to private?? I've never heard of this error... Can you please provide a picture?

Did you use Disk Utility to initialize your drive to APFS/GUID?
My bad, I'm being stupid! failed to open file <private> is what it says before spitting out a huge error log.
I'll provide more details when I'm home today. Also, yes - I used disk utility to set it to APFS/GUID. Other disks sadly don't make a difference. :(

Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390 Plus Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Holy smokes!! It works!! I tested with Clover and OpenCore. I needed to clear NVRAM once before it all started to work, but after that, everything was smooth.

I'm going to have to reassess how I feel about Z390...

Much props to the guys at acidanthera!!!
Official idea is coming from the German Hackintosh site. I forgot to mention. Add slide=0 boot arg also. Someone tested it there and he is saying with slide=0 it's much stable without it he is getting sometimes allocation error while booting. Just keep in mind.