Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Pastrychef, I did a build following your example on Z370-G. It has been running solidly and reliably for the last 12 months ever since I loaded it with your a copy of your (old) config folder and etc. I am running Mojave 10.14.13 and am thinking about updating to Catalina 10.15. Is this a bad idea? I would not gain anything major. It would probably be a lot of tweaking work for small gains -- if any. Just curious about how compatible Catalina has been on this hardware in general. Thanks for any feedback.

Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) - CPU i7-8700 - GraphicsRX 580 - 10.14.3

I always update macOS within a day or two of release. None have given me any issues on this build. Catalina has been rock solid.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 10.24.24 PM.png

@pastrychef is there a link to a copy of your current Catalina clover boot folder I can copy and use? This made a big difference in ease of booting last time I got this box up and running. Thanks!

Guys
can the enabled TRIM function be false?
I connected the disk to the M.2 slot speed 4x
I can't understand why the write speed to my SSD can drop to 5Mb \ s. :eek:

Guys
can the enabled TRIM function be false?
I connected the disk to the M.2 slot speed 4x
I can't understand why the write speed to my SSD can drop to 5Mb \ s. :eek:

Sure. You can set it to false if you like. But I don't think that will help with SSD performance.

Sure. You can set it to false if you like. But I don't think that will help with SSD performance.
I can’t understand why the disk HP ex900 is slow. My main drive Samsung EVO 860 (SATA 3) at the same loads (render) is much better and the speed does not drop.
Can any files in the EFI folder interfere with the stability of the NVMe SSD?

I can’t understand why the disk HP ex900 is slow. My main drive Samsung EVO 860 (SATA 3) at the same loads (render) is much better and the speed does not drop.

I don't know why the EX900 is performing poorly for you. I have an EX920 and it performs comparably to my Samsung 970 EVO, but the EX900 is a lower end SSD and it lacks a DRAM cache. However, even as such, it should not perform as poorly as you have described...

I don't think there's anything in the EFI that can affect NVMe stability.

Could high temperature be an issue? I wonder if throttling is happening.

Is your NVRAM working? What did you install to make work? Can you see DRAM trace on Intel power gadget?
Yeah. Nothing, Pastry's config works out of the box, all I need to do is set my custom uia_exclude, rename the .aml file and place it in the correct folder, disable the USB patches and add my custom serial in SMBIOS for icloud to work correctly and it all works like magic... well...

The only thing that doesn't work correctly for me is Audio with external Interfaces, it stutters occasionally. (I think only if WIFI is on but it's hard to be 100% sure.) I tried all ports and every single port config even enabling one of the USB2's. Since my hack is for Audio, it's a bit annoying. The only thing I can think of is to try updating/downgrading my BIOS.

Back