Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
No. I have IGPU enabled and use iMac17,1 on my Skylake box. Hardware decoding was working on 10.15.1 with shikigva=16 and/or shikigva=80. It's completely broken on 10.15.2.

No, I just have an el cheapo RX 560 in that box.
I never had much luck with DRM and IGPU enabled.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I never had much luck with DRM and IGPU enabled.
On that box, I'm more concerned with hardware decoding than DRM. It finally worked with 10.15.1 and the Shiki arguments but broke again...

The lack of HEVC hardware decoding on Skylake makes viewing a lot of videos impossible unless the system uses the dGPU.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
On that box, I'm more concerned with hardware decoding than DRM. It finally worked with 10.15.1 and the Shiki arguments but broke again...

The lack of HEVC hardware decoding on Skylake makes viewing a lot of videos impossible unless the system uses the dGPU.
In the past for the 5xx card you needed a dummy kext maybe try that or change it to iMac Pro.

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
In the past for the 5xx card you needed a dummy kext maybe try that or change it to iMac Pro.
Neither the kext nor using iMacPro1,1 system definition worked on that box. The only thing that worked was the shiki argument in 10.15.1.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Neither the kext nor using iMacPro1,1 system definition worked on that box. The only thing that worked was the shiki argument in 10.15.1.
I only have a 580 and Vega 56 & 64 so the iMac Pro trick always seemed to work and I guess the same with the 580 and the kext. You might have to mod the kext for your frame buffer this one does Baffin and Elesmier I do not know how to edit it for a different buffer. The Kext works in conjunction with the iMac Pro sm. I no longer have a 560 to try it out over here.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I only have a 580 and Vega 56 & 64 so the iMac Pro trick always seemed to work and I guess the same with the 580 and the kext. You might have to mod the kext for your frame buffer this one does Baffin and Elesmier I do not know how to edit it for a different buffer. The Kext works in conjunction with the iMac Pro sm. I no longer have a 560 to try it out over here.
My RX 560 is Baffin. I've tried different ways of injecting it to no avail...

Motherboard
Asus Strix Z370-E
CPU
i9-9900K OC @ 5.0Ghz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just make sure that the SSDs are initialized as APFS/GUID.
will do! thanks!

I just caught another potentially related Finder/Saving issue that seems to happen also right after the Photoshop saving issue but it also happens once in a while for other apps, like Adobe InDesign now..

I exported the project (twice) but it saves it as some hidden file and doesn't show in Finder which is strange (see screenshot). Wondering if this pointed to a specific issue with somethings in the OS? i don't know ; (

PS: I made all Hidden Files visible in Finder and yet they don't show in Finder! so strange. Only in the InDesign Exporting Dialog box like on the screenshot.

Attachments

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
will do! thanks!

I just caught another potentially related Finder/Saving issue that seems to happen also right after the Photoshop saving issue but it also happens once in a while for other apps, like Adobe InDesign now..

I exported the project (twice) but it saves it as some hidden file and doesn't show in Finder which is strange (see screenshot). Wondering if this pointed to a specific issue with somethings in the OS? i don't know ; (

PS: I made all Hidden Files visible in Finder and yet they don't show in Finder! so strange. Only in the InDesign Exporting Dialog box like on the screenshot.
Those invisible files are normal. That's all stuff that you normally wouldn't notice when the system is working right. They should be deleted when the projects are saved.

My guess is that there's some sort of corruption in your installation of macOS or there's something installed that's causing your problems. If you're running the CPU and RAM at stock speeds, it shouldn't be hardware related... Unless maybe the SSD is faulty. That's why I asked you to try a clean install.

Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390 Plus Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pastrychef did you try to latest BIOS F9e for your RAM issue?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pastrychef did you try to latest BIOS F9e for your RAM issue?
No, I didn't... I got so frustrated with the instability, I moved my i9-9900K back to my Z370 motherboard before the new BIOS got released...

I knew there were RAM issues with BIOS F9. I don't know why it took them so long to release an update to fix it.