Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Gigabyte Vega 64
I know how to check MAC Address but how to paste it to config? When I paste it to config Xcode shows "wrong data" error.

I'm testing opencore right now and it seems to not working with Navi GPU. In idle state after 5min it freezes with no error and I have to manually restart. And then also my CPU usage goes to 100%.

I have deleted WEG but no success.
I would try the latest 10.15.2 beta, I had a XFX 5700 XT, and it was super stable on beta 3. I then returned that card and moved to a nitro+ 5700 XT. I was having issues where it would sometimes not boot. On beta 4 it seems rock solid. I'm also using OpenCore.

Motherboard
Z370-G
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
5700 XT
pastrychef: thanks for info!
I have switched to r5.1.6 and I have very similar issue on iMacPro1,1... so maybe it's a macOS bug. iMac19,1 was stable.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
pastrychef: thanks for info!
I have switched to r5.1.6 and I have very similar issue on iMacPro1,1... so maybe it's a macOS bug. iMac19,1 was stable.
Hmm... So iMac19,1 works but iMacPro1,1 doesn't?? Strange...

I've been on iMacPro1,1 on both my Z370 and Z390 for quite a while now and it's been fine through all the macOS updates. I just think that the 5700 (XT) drivers need a bit more maturing...

Did you get OpenCore working with the MAC address?

Motherboard
Z370-G
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
5700 XT
Yes, there are no crashes on iMac19,1 with iGPU disabled. Sometimes sleep is not working though.
I will wait for public 10.15.2 and then try again. I also had some problems with bluetooth and magic keyboard. No auto connection and problems with pairing.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, there are no crashes on iMac19,1 with iGPU disabled. Sometimes sleep is not working though.
I will wait for public 10.15.2 and then try again. I also had some problems with bluetooth and magic keyboard. No auto connection and problems with pairing.
If you are using iMac19,1, IGPU should be enabled. Without IGPU, Preview and Quick Look will be broken and HEVC acceleration won't work.

Connecting and pairing with Bluetooth should not have anything to do with configuration. For Bluetooth, the only thing that needs to be configured on a hackintosh is USB. If USB is working correctly, there's no reason Bluetooth shouldn't. The only thing that can affect it is reception. If reception is a problem, you can try disabling other devices that are using the 2.4GHz frequency in your home.

What happens when sleep isn't working? Is it not going to sleep? Is it not staying asleep? Does it not wake?

Motherboard
Z370-G
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
5700 XT
After switching EFI everything works great again ;) I'm using same USB port at the front of my case (connected to MB).

Sometimes monitor goes off but Mac is still running.

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370
CPU
i9-9980
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
I played with the idea of picking one up for about a hot second. Lol

It's very hard to justify especially when the AMD Threadrippers are kicking Intel's butt on all fronts.
And according to this article, Intel apparently "doesn't care" about their CPU market slippage......90% is just too high! Well, the way they're going, I wonder if 20% might be too high......https://wccftech.com/intel-ceo-beyond-cpu-7nm-more/

So remember, there are TWO Apple taxes now.....the first is that you overpay for equipment and peripherals by as much as 400%, but now the second Apple tax is that you have to settle for second class components....

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
pastrychef Tip of the Day

If you are still trying to iron out Bluetooth problems and/or having reception problems, it's a good idea to enable "Mouse Keys" so that you can control the pointer using your keyboard. I alway enable this option in the event that my Magic Mouse runs out of batteries.

1. Go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control.
  2. Click on the "Alternative Control Methods" tab.
  3. Click on the "Option" button.
  4. Enable "Press the Option key five times to toggle Mouse Keys".
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 5.29.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 5.31.57 AM.png

Now, if you ever have Bluetooth mouse issues, you can just spam the "Option" key five times and you will be able to control the pointer using your keyboard number pad. To turn off Mouse Keys, just spam the "Option" key five times again. Of course, this is only helpful if you are using a USB or PS/2 keyboard...

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 5.36.10 AM.png

* The same can be achieved in Windows. To toggle Mouse Keys in Windows, press Left Alt (Option key on a Mac keyboard) + Left Shift + Num Lock together.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370
CPU
i9-9980
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
pastrychef Tip of the Day

If you are still trying to iron out Bluetooth problems and/or having reception problems, it's a good idea to enable "Mouse Keys" so that you can control the pointer using your keyboard. I alway leave enable this option in the event that my Magic Mouse runs out of batteries.

1. Go to System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control.
  2. Click on the "Alternative Control Methods" tab.
  3. Click on the "Option" button.
  4. Enable "Press the Option key five times to toggle Mouse Keys".
View attachment 439539
View attachment 439540

Now, if you ever have Bluetooth mouse issues, you can just spam the "Option" key five times and you will be able to control the pointer using your keyboard number pad. To turn off Mouse Keys, just spam the "Option" key five times again. Of course, this is only helpful if you are using a USB or PS/2 keyboard...

View attachment 439542

* The same can be achieved in Windows. To toggle Mouse Keys in Windows, press Left Alt (Option key on a Mac keyboard) + Left Shift + Num Lock together.
Nice tip!

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Replace your Clover folder with this one.
Hi Pastrychef,

no, it can not boot.

I took a look what's inside and compared with my original CLOVER folder:
the one from you has a directory drivers/UEFI and doesn't contain a (flat) directory drivers64UEFI that mine has and contains much more drivers in there. If I copy this directory to your CLOVER, then the computer boots up normally.

Would it be possible to let me know which changes you made so that I can manually put them into my original CLOVER directory? This would be really helpful and pretty easy hopefully.

Thanks very much for your help.