Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I'm surprised you need "agdpmod=pikera" for an RX 580.

You are using slightly older versions of Clover and kexts. It might be a good idea to update prior updating macOS again.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV+ should all be working for you.

I don't know how to fix coil whine.

so should I not add "agdpmod=pikera" to my boot args?

How would I go about updating them? Sorry, again I am a noob and don't want to mess up :)

I did not expect you to fix coil whine, I just it interesting that the pattern of coil whine changed and thought that it would maybe help your diagnostic process.

so should I not add "agdpmod=pikera" to my boot args?

How would I go about updating them? Sorry, again I am a noob and don't want to mess up :)

I did not expect you to fix coil whine, I just it interesting that the pattern of coil whine changed and thought that it would maybe help your diagnostic process.

The easiest way would be to:
  1. Make backups of everything.
  2. Grab the latest EFI folder from post #1.
  3. Put your config.plist in there.
  4. Replace your existing EFI folder with the new one.

If "agdpmod=pikera" is working for you, keep using it. I just didn't think that RX 580s required it.

Hi! What about your NVME speed? Specs of the disk reports 3M read speed and your blackmagic is reporting half of it. Is that normal in Catalina?

Hi! What about your NVME speed? Specs of the disk reports 3M read speed and your blackmagic is reporting half of it. Is that normal in Catalina?

Those results were from my old SM951 which is an older generation of M.2 SSD that was AHCI.

I'm currently using a Samsung 970 EVO and an HP EX920.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 8.23.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-14 at 8.24.56 AM.png

Grab the latest EFI folder from post #1.

If "agdpmod=pikera" is working for you, keep using it. I just didn't think that RX 580s required it.

EFI folder updated, booting flawlessly now, as you predicted without "agdpmod=pikera". Thank you once again for helping.

("agdpmod=pikera" at least helped me to get it booted prior to updating the EFI.)

BTW - 50% of the time I start my PC my mainboard is showing a safe mode screen (since about 2 months / Catalina install).

I simply press F1 to enter the BIOS and then F10 to exit the BIOS without doing anything and it then boots normally. I don't mind it too much, but if there was an easy fix that you know of I would not mind getting rid of that safe mode screen :)

EFI folder updated, booting flawlessly now, as you predicted without "agdpmod=pikera". Thank you once again for helping.

("agdpmod=pikera" at least helped me to get it booted prior to updating the EFI.)

BTW - 50% of the time I start my PC my mainboard is showing a safe mode screen (since about 2 months / Catalina install).

I simply press F1 to enter the BIOS and then F10 to exit the BIOS without doing anything and it then boots normally. I don't mind it too much, but if there was an easy fix that you know of I would not mind getting rid of that safe mode screen :)

What do you mean "safe mode"? macOS Safe Mode?

If yes, try clearing your NVRAM by pressing F11 at the Clover boot menu.

Your write speed on the 970 EVO seems a bit slow. Is it the 250GB model?

I get ~2500 MB/s write speeds on my 1TB 970 EVO

It's a 1TB. Retested again...

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 10.44.09 AM.png

Hi, pastrychef! Currently, I'm using your latest Clover and definition 19.1.
I would like to create my USB aml/kext, but something is going wrong.
I followed your instructions:
Deleted 15 port limit patches and USBInjectAll.kext, and from Hackintool I have this screen - all ports are already green, and many ports are used by ‘AppleUSBXHCI Root Hub Simulation’.
All ports with ‘AppleUSBXHCI Root Hub Simulation’ do not operate any USB key.
usb.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    32.6 MB · Views: 180
Hi, pastrychef! Currently, I'm using your latest Clover and definition 19.1.
I would like to create my USB aml/kext, but something is going wrong.
I followed your instructions:
Deleted 15 port limit patches and USBInjectAll.kext, and from Hackintool I have this screen - all ports are already green, and many ports are used by ‘AppleUSBXHCI Root Hub Simulation’.
All ports with ‘AppleUSBXHCI Root Hub Simulation’ do not operate any USB key.
View attachment 440441

No. You need to start with the KextsToPatches for the 15 port limit enabled and USBInjectAll installed.
Then, use Hackintool to determine which ports to keep enabled.

Back