Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Yeah. That's definitely the direction they are going in. And, I see the reasoning behind it and think it's a good idea. I also like that in Catalina, system files are on a protected volume.

Having the system files on a protected volume kind of reminds me of the old days when operating systems were ROM based. I miss the no boot time/instant on...

My Z370 system can run fine with just FakeSMC or VirtualSMC, albeit with a few features broken such as on-board audio, HDMI/DisplayPort audio, motherboard ethernet, etc. But for the most part, the system runs fine. I haven't tested on my Z390 yet.

I use FakeSMC and Ethernet driver. For audio I use USB creative sound card and the onboard Audio is off in the BIOS. No solution for the HDMI/Display port audio.

I would guess that it would be the same with the Z390 with only really needing the SMC driver. I am guessing the kext you have only make the same stuff work on the Z370 as they do Z390.

I guess I am just pointing out that people should be ready changes are incoming that could bring some people to their knees.

Always good to think about these things early. I agree with PastryChef the control on the OS is a good thing (also miss the ROM boot days.)

SO thinking aloud, the process appears to be hack via non-inject and redirect resources? I think that works for some case, but maybe not for drivers.

I also think about the T2 and it's role.

I use FakeSMC and Ethernet driver. For audio I use USB creative sound card and the onboard Audio is off in the BIOS. No solution for the HDMI/Display port audio.

I would guess that it would be the same with the Z390 with only really needing the SMC driver. I am guessing the kext you have only make the same stuff work on the Z370 as they do Z390.

I guess I am just pointing out that people should be ready changes are incoming that could bring some people to their knees.

I have AQC-107 based 10GBase-T so even IntelMausiEthernet is expendable for me. Lol

Always good to think about these things early. I agree with PastryChef the control on the OS is a good thing (also miss the ROM boot days.)

SO thinking aloud, the process appears to be hack via non-inject and redirect resources? I think that works for some case, but maybe not for drivers.

I also think about the T2 and it's role.

In another thread, I posted concerns about T2 as well... Currently, there's still one shipping Mac that doesn't have T2 so I think we are still safe for the time being...

The other thing that concerned me is that none of the current Macs use Broadcom based Wi-Fi anymore. All the current Macs are on Universal Scientific Industrial chipsets which I have not seen by anyone else. This means that once the last of the Macs that did use Broadcom chipsets lose macOS update support, it's likely the Broadcom chipset compatibility will go the way of the dodo.

Thanks, Pastrychef! I took your EFI for OpenCore, and it works fine for my ASRock Z370 Extreme4 with i7-8700K and Vega 56. There is only one USB port that is not working, but I can live without it :D

You should probably make your own SSDT or kext for the USB ports on your motherboard. Directions are here.

Yeah. That's definitely the direction they are going in. And, I see the reasoning behind it and think it's a good idea. I also like that in Catalina, system files are on a protected volume.

Having the system files on a protected volume kind of reminds me of the old days when operating systems were ROM based. I miss the no boot time/instant on...

I foresee that one day we will have to use JailBreak for macOS. If macOS locks down too hard then I will switch to Linux or FreeBSD. It's too much headaches especially for software developers with one of their hands tied behind their back.

I foresee that one day we will have to use JailBreak for macOS. If macOS locks down too hard then I will switch to Linux or FreeBSD. It's too much headaches especially for software developers with one of their hands tied behind their back.

Essentially FakeSMC / Virtual SMC are already kind of like Jail breaking.

It looks like something is happening because VRAM usage is so high...
Mystic :crazy:

You do not know what could be the problem? I connected a SAMSUNG SSD M.2 PM981 drive, but there were problems. The first problem, if I connect the disk to the x4 line, then 4 sata ports do not work for me. The second problem is if you connect to the x2 line, then all disks work, but after the system boots up, my computer is reset (hard reset). BIOS settings I do not know what to set.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-11-21 at 13.57.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-11-21 at 13.57.27.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 56
Back