Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Oof okay so I've had a stable system for a few months now, but after updating to 10.15.1 (and your latest EFI, copying over serial, UUID, and board serial), I am getting some issues.
iGPU is disabled, I have added the agdpmod=pikera flag (that's from memory but the boot flag is copy and pasted from WEG github so it's correct)
Every couple of boots, I get a black screen on my main monitor.
On every boot, the first login screen (filevault?) has a checker-boarded background image. The UI elements are not affected.
But here's the killer. Whenever I play a video (VLC or IINA, not youtube on firefox), I get really bad graphical artifacts. It's where part of the moving image sticks and pixelates (as if you had a bad antenna on a TV.) After about 10 seconds of this, both of my screens go black and my fans go on full blast. The system is still up (there are no crash reports and I can still hear the video playing) but it is no longer usable until I restart.
Again, latest EFI..
Any ideas? I am a software dev so I can do whatever troubleshooting you need; however, I should note that I am not very familiar with debugging macs.

You should not need any agdpmod boot flag if you are using a Vega card.

Yes, the graphics on the FileVault screen may be distorted. I don't know a fix.

I have not had any problems with videos on VLC.

Please try without the agdpmod=pikera and with iMacPro1,1 system definition with IGPU disabled in BIOS.

Motherboard
ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC)
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega FE
You should not need any agdpmod boot flag if you are using a Vega card.

Yes, the graphics on the FileVault screen may be distorted. I don't know a fix.

I have not had any problems with videos on VLC.

Please try without the agdpmod=pikera and with iMacPro1,1 system definition with IGPU disabled in BIOS.

I actually only added the agdpmod flag in order to try to fix the issues. I am also on the iMacPro1,1 definition and have been since I first hacked.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I actually only added the agdpmod flag in order to try to fix the issues. I am also on the iMacPro1,1 definition and have been since I first hacked.

Do you use FileVault?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

My guess is that your video problems are due to the new drivers used for FileVault support. I had to switch to new drivers because the old drivers broke under Catalina 10.15.1.

If these new drivers are giving you problems, you may be forced to try the OpenCore EFI.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega FE
My guess is that your video problems are due to the new drivers used for FileVault support. I had to switch to new drivers because the old drivers broke under Catalina 10.15.1.

If these new drivers are giving you problems, you may be forced to try the OpenCore EFI.
Not a problem, I've been interested in switching anyway. I can read previous posts; however, do you have any suggestions on how best to make the switch? Anything I should save or copy?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not a problem, I've been interested in switching anyway. I can read previous posts; however, do you have any suggestions on how best to make the switch? Anything I should save or copy?

In the OpenCore EFI, I have included a READ ME file that should illustrate pretty well where you need to enter your Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address.

After you've added those, you should be able to just boot from it. I suggest testing by putting the EFI on a USB flash drive first. Of course, make backups of everything.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega FE
In the OpenCore EFI, I have included a READ ME file that should illustrate pretty well where you need to enter your Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address.

After you've added those, you should be able to just boot from it. I suggest testing by putting the EFI on a USB flash drive first. Of course, make backups of everything.

Unfortunately, this didn't make a difference. At first I thought it did, I was able to watch a 20 minute episode of 30 Rock, and then as soon as the next episode started the visual artifacts were back and 10 seconds later the computer stopped responding.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Unfortunately, this didn't make a difference. At first I thought it did, I was able to watch a 20 minute episode of 30 Rock, and then as soon as the next episode started the visual artifacts were back and 10 seconds later the computer stopped responding.

My intent in asking you to try OpenCore was to address the boot to black screen issue and FileVault.

I don't know why you are getting artifacts watching videos. I have not seen anyone else report this. I have also personally played quite a few videos since the 10.15.1 update without problems. Can heat on the video card possibly be a cause?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I just started a video in VLC and started a streaming video from Amazon Prime and started a streaming video from Apple TV app.