Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I wonder why this is happening then.

I don't know... I do know that "pmset -g assertions" shows it's not caused by software and it doesn't appear to be caused by USB...

elfcake

Banned
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't know... I do know that "pmset -g assertions" shows it's not caused by software and it doesn't appear to be caused by USB...
It does seem to be a hardware problem since I don’t have the same problem using an Ethernet Thunderbolt 3 adaptor.

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A II-1001
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've never heard of that. Make sure you are booting from the correct EFI folder.
It seems it's because the iMac19,1 SMBIOS. It's not happening with either iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1

What I'm unable to fix is the RTC Alarm, is waking my Hack and then not letting go to sleep again. I've tried turning off bluetooth and disconnecting all USB devices

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i7-8700K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
How do you switch your SMBIOS from iMac18,3 to iMacPro1,1? I think I'm missing something

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A II-1001
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
How do you switch your SMBIOS from iMac18,3 to iMacPro1,1? I think I'm missing something
In clover configurator app, on the SMBIOS section

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i7-8700K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In clover configurator app, on the SMBIOS section

I went there and switched the Product Name from iMac18,3 to iMacPro1,1 but I'm assuming I need to change more. Do I need to change the Bios Version or anything like that? This is mainly an attempt to deal with the DRM issues I'm experiencing with Apple TV+.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I went there and switched the Product Name from iMac18,3 to iMacPro1,1 but I'm assuming I need to change more. Do I need to change the Bios Version or anything like that? This is mainly an attempt to deal with the DRM issues I'm experiencing with Apple TV+.

Click here and select iMacPro1,1:
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 3.20.34 PM.png

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It seems it's because the iMac19,1 SMBIOS. It's not happening with either iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1

What I'm unable to fix is the RTC Alarm, is waking my Hack and then not letting go to sleep again. I've tried turning off bluetooth and disconnecting all USB devices

I have never seen an Aptio problem on boot when switching system definitions...

Is it not going to sleep at all or is it waking quickly after going to sleep?

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
IMO, it's simpler to change your SysDef, etc., with MultiBeast:
Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMacxxx​
Build > Install​
Reboot​

Motherboard
ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC)
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega FE
Oof okay so I've had a stable system for a few months now, but after updating to 10.15.1 (and your latest EFI, copying over serial, UUID, and board serial), I am getting some issues.
iGPU is disabled, I have added the agdpmod=pikera flag (that's from memory but the boot flag is copy and pasted from WEG github so it's correct)
Every couple of boots, I get a black screen on my main monitor.
On every boot, the first login screen (filevault?) has a checker-boarded background image. The UI elements are not affected.
But here's the killer. Whenever I play a video (VLC or IINA, not youtube on firefox), I get really bad graphical artifacts. It's where part of the moving image sticks and pixelates (as if you had a bad antenna on a TV.) After about 10 seconds of this, both of my screens go black and my fans go on full blast. The system is still up (there are no crash reports and I can still hear the video playing) but it is no longer usable until I restart.
Again, latest EFI..
Any ideas? I am a software dev so I can do whatever troubleshooting you need; however, I should note that I am not very familiar with debugging macs.