Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Did and updated since it didn't have coverage, but still same problem. TBH, this is not super important ATM. I just got curious since I saw people where talking about it here. And again thanks for the help.

Is it not allowing you to sign up for Apple TV+ or are the videos not playing? That's two very different problems.

Switching to iMacPro1,1 and disabling IGPU should circumvent HDCP issues and DRM content should play without problems.

Not being able to sign up for Apple TV+ is different. Maybe call Apple to see why they are not allowing you to sign up.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is it not allowing you to sign up for Apple TV+ or are the videos not playing? That's two very different problems.

Switching to iMacPro1,1 and disabling IGPU should circumvent HDCP issues and DRM content should play without problems.

Not being able to sign up for Apple TV+ is different. Maybe call Apple to see why they are not allowing you to sign up.

Not allowing me to sign in it seems, since now it at least tries to play but after Apple logo intro it goes black and shuts down the show. Going to try with Apple support.

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A II-1001
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@pastrychef do you sleep your computer? If yes, do you mind sharing how much does it takes the display to show image? I'm getting around 10 seconds while my 2013 iMac wakes from sleep in like 2 seconds and my Macbook Pro connected to the same display (LG 27UK850) takes around 5 seconds.

elfcake

Banned
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@pastrychef do you sleep your computer? If yes, do you mind sharing how much does it takes the display to show image? I'm getting around 10 seconds while my 2013 iMac wakes from sleep in like 2 seconds and my Macbook Pro connected to the same display (LG 27UK850) takes around 5 seconds.

Yes, I rely on sleep a lot because I leave my system running 24/7.

Wake has always taken longer on hacks compared to real Macs. I don't know why.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 4.21.41 PM.png

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@pastrychef : Off topic, maybe. Have you updated to Catalina and what improvements have you seen over Majave?

Yes, I always try to update macOS on the day of release.

For Catalina, I did my first clean install since about 2006 because it dropped support for 32-bit apps. I wanted make sure I didn't have remnants of old apps that no longer work and/or I no longer use.

I can't really say if I perceive any improvements. I know that GPU drivers have improved. iCloud integration seems tighter. I haven't noticed any problems. Both Mojave and Catalina have been trouble-free for me since day 1.

Most of the issues that I did have in the past (High Sierra and earlier) were due to shoddy Nvidia web drivers. Since I've gone to AMD, I haven't had any issues with any release of macOS.

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A II-1001
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

View attachment 435150
Yes! that's exactly my use case too. I never turn off my iMac or MacBook Pro, I just let them sleep.

It's interesting because I own an Apple LED Cinema Display (DisplayPort), and it takes around 4-5 seconds to wake while the LG4k takes almost double that. I'm wondering if there's something software-wise here to make it wake up quicker. @joevt do you have experience and/or knowledge on attempting to make waking from sleep quicker on Hackintosh?

elfcake

Banned
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, I always try to update macOS on the day of release.

For Catalina, I did my first clean install since about 2006 because it dropped support for 32-bit apps. I wanted make sure I didn't have remnants of old apps that no longer work and/or I no longer use.

I can't really say if I perceive any improvements. I know that GPU drivers have improved. iCloud integration seems tighter. I haven't noticed any problems. Both Mojave and Catalina have been trouble-free for me since day 1.

Most of the issues that I did have in the past (High Sierra and earlier) were due to shoddy Nvidia web drivers. Since I've gone to AMD, I haven't had any issues with any release of macOS.
I delayed due to Photoshop conflicts/issues with Catalina. Adobe released the v2020 of Ps this week and I was thinking about updating to Catalina. What has improved in the GPU arena? I noticed that the Rx 580 fans do not spin up at all since the 10.14.5 update.

elfcake

Banned
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

View attachment 435150
I have had a problem with auto sleep since installing a ThunderBay 4 (RAID 5). The Enclosure is connected to a Titan Ridge AIC. The monitor sleeps but not the system. I can make the system sleep using the apple dropdown menu and it will stay that way. Any thoughts or links to help for this? Thank you.