Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi @pastrychef Thanks as ever for your great work.

My system is based entirely on your build (i7 8700 + RX580) and continues to be excellent. I've just performed a fresh Catalina install on my existing kit (long story, it just made sense rather than upgrade in place) and am using your "EFI Unified r5.1.2" with Clover.

Should I need to install anything extra to get the hardware sensors recognised by the OS / apps ?

I used to have Temp Monitor running find under Mojave and was able to monitor temperatures and specify fan speeds. Now though in Catalina I see nothing in Temp Monitor (free trial download at https://www.vimistudios.com/temp-monitor)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi @pastrychef Thanks as ever for your great work.

My system is based entirely on your build (i7 8700 + RX580) and continues to be excellent. I've just performed a fresh Catalina install on my existing kit (long story, it just made sense rather than upgrade in place) and am using your "EFI Unified r5.1.2" with Clover.

Should I need to install anything extra to get the hardware sensors recognised by the OS / apps ?

I used to have Temp Monitor running find under Mojave and was able to monitor temperatures and specify fan speeds. Now though in Catalina I see nothing in Temp Monitor (free trial download at https://www.vimistudios.com/temp-monitor)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

The sensors are dependent on the version of FakeSMC or VirtualSMC that you use. The branch of FakeSMC that I have included in my EFI did lose CPU frequency sensor, but the temperature readings are still working. I use iStat Menus for my readings. I believe the free HWSensors also works but I haven't personally tried it in a long time.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 5.15.50 AM.png

The GPU temperature sensor in the above image is not working for Vega but does work with Radeon VII. For Vega temperature readings, I have to look in the below section.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 5.18.32 AM.png

Ah. That was a good call, thanks @pastrychef I downloaded the trial of iStat Menus which installed some components / libraries that needed admin privileges.

Checking temp data in iStat worked fine, so I then went back to Temp Monitor and since installing the iStat demo Temp Monitor now works too!

Cheers.

Temp_Monitor.png

Your SSDT seems to have a few mistakes. Please try using my SSDT and using "uia_exclude=" boot flags with the unused ports.
What was wrong with my SSDT? I made it by using the SSDT-USB-Template.dsl and modifying it as Rehabman recommended. Looking at your SSDT,which works fine, I don't see any of the data that was in my SSDT, so I'm confused. Is this safe to use long term? Thanks

What was wrong with my SSDT? I made it by using the SSDT-USB-Template.dsl and modifying it as Rehabman recommended. Looking at your SSDT,which works fine, I don't see any of the data that was in my SSDT, so I'm confused. Is this safe to use long term? Thanks

I think some of the ports were configured as internal ports when they shouldn't have been.

But if you want to create your own SSDT instead of using mine, just follow the directions here.

What does your SSDT do? I think mine specified which ports would be used and therefore no uia_exclude was needed. But this is mainly Greek to me.

Mine defines all the ports available. Then you use "uia_exclude=" to disable the unused the ports to bring the total number of USB ports to 15 or less.

Yours only defines the ports that you intend to use. Therefore, no need to exclude anything. The downside of this is that if/when you need to change your port configuration, you will have to redo the entire SSDT. With mine, you just have to make a simple change in config.plist.

At the end of the day, the results are the same. macOS will only see 15 ports or less.

Mine defines all the ports available. Then you use "uia_exclude=" to disable the unused the ports to bring the total number of USB ports to 15 or less.

Yours only defines the ports that you intend to use. Therefore, no need to exclude anything. The downside of this is that if/when you need to change your port configuration, you will have to redo the entire SSDT. With mine, you just have to make a simple change in config.plist.

At the end of the day, the results are the same. macOS will only see 15 ports or less.
ok...thanks.

Back