Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Things are basically OK, except for one issue: my external USB 3 enclosure will drop off once or twice a day... then remount. I've tried hubs, PCIe cards, right into the MOBO. Different ports on the mobo. Swapped enclosures and cables. Regardless of what hardware tweaks I make, it still happens. Maybe once every 12 hours or so.

I have limited my USB ports to 15, using a SSDT_USB.aml.

Any suggestions? 10.14.6.
Do you have the SSDT-USBX.aml file installed for USB power injection?

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Don't understand the question: what is "USB Power Injection"? I made the file at your suggestion instead of injecting via config.plist (attached.)
Please see here:

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Mamimus XI Hero (Wifi)
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Please see here:
Thanks. I made the needed changes. Now it's just wait-and-see if the drives drop off again or not.
Appreciate your help.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Bummer. Dropped off and came back on again. Only down for about 2 seconds, but a miss is as good... etc...

I updated to Clover 2.4 r5045 (from 2.4 r4961) to see if that has any effect.

later... some questions:

1)OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi was required for my rig under r4961. I've continued to use it. OK?

2) I have a driver named PartitionDxe-64. Keep it?

Update to 2.4.5045 at least boots....

Comments welcomed! Thanks

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
When I moved to 2.4 r5045, I simply pulled my old config.plist (from r4961) and dropped it in.

I saved the new one that Clover installer made when I installed r5045, just in case.

Looking at them, they are -vastly- different.

So the first question is: should I continue using my previous config.plist? (at least it boots :)

Next, I noticed that the graphics section is much larger on the new one, but one thing has me curious: theFBName.
New config:
<key>#FBName</key>
<string>Makakakakala</string>

Previous config:
<key>FBName</key>
<string>Kamarang</string>

Do these names have any effect on how the OS treats the card? Kamarang was in use in my old 580 and now I'm on a Vega 64.

So: is that the right name for a Vega 64 under a Mac 19,1 and OS 10.14.6?

Better yet, (teach a man to fish...) how do I find the right name and setup for my card?

OK even Better YET : does guru care to look at both the new and previous config.plists and see if there are any obvious glaring errors?

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
When I moved to 2.4 r5045, I simply pulled my old config.plist (from r4961) and dropped it in.

I saved the new one that Clover installer made when I installed r5045, just in case.

Looking at them, they are -vastly- different.

So the first question is: should I continue using my previous config.plist? (at least it boots :)

Next, I noticed that the graphics section is much larger on the new one, but one thing has me curious: theFBName.
New config:
<key>#FBName</key>
<string>Makakakakala</string>

Previous config:
<key>FBName</key>
<string>Kamarang</string>

Do these names have any effect on how the OS treats the card? Kamarang was in use in my old 580 and now I'm on a Vega 64.

So: is that the right name for a Vega 64 under a Mac 19,1 and OS 10.14.6?

Better yet, (teach a man to fish...) how do I find the right name and setup for my card?

OK even Better YET : does guru care to look at both the new and previous config.plists and see if there are any obvious glaring errors?
You shouldn't inject framebuffer unless it's absolutely necessary. I have mine blank. Also, Kamarang for RX 580 is wrong.

See here for more info about the framebuffers. (Again, best to leave it blank):

Make sure you have your Clover drivers installed in the correct location. They made some major changes recently.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks. I did completely delete my EFI folder and use the Clover installer against a blank disk. I figured that would place things where they go.
Sorry about the wrong FB thing. (I got it on TonyMac :( )

I'll try simply deleting the reference to it in my plist.

(Wow: 284 pages and counting... that will be fun to look thru ;-) OTOH, the last update there was 2017, and the z390 boards are newer than that. Not sure how far to trust what's there with newer hardware.)

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks. I did completely delete my EFI folder and use the Clover installer against a blank disk. I figured that would place things where they go.
Sorry about the wrong FB thing. (I got it on TonyMac :( )

I'll try simply deleting the reference to it in my plist.

(Wow: 284 pages and counting... that will be fun to look thru ;-) OTOH, the last update there was 2017, and the z390 boards are newer than that. Not sure how far to trust what's there with newer hardware.)
That thread has nothing to do with motherboard chipsets. It's only about AMD framebuffers. It shows RX 580 should not use Kamarang.

Best to just leave the framebuffer field blank in config.plist. Let WhateverGreen handle things for you.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Updated OpenCore EFI to beta 1. Everything has been rock solid.

Find latest OpenCore EFI on post #7366.