Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

For those with the Radeon VII...any suggestions to fix the fan noise?
I use Final Cut Pro and Premiere a lot and you definitely know when the system uses the GPU. It ramps up from 0 RPM to "annoying" very quickly. It's just too loud and it's constantly going on and off vs. a steady sound.

I know this is a common complaint of this card. What options are out there to reduce the noise? Would a water cooler do it? Cost isn't really a big factor...I'd spend the money to quiet the system.

I use Final Cut Pro and Premiere a lot and you definitely know when the system uses the GPU. It ramps up from 0 RPM to "annoying" very quickly. It's just too loud and it's constantly going on and off vs. a steady sound.

I know this is a common complaint of this card. What options are out there to reduce the noise? Would a water cooler do it? Cost isn't really a big factor...I'd spend the money to quiet the system.

You can try underclocking the Radeon VII so that it doesn't get as hot. The following are some links that will help you do that.

Once you have your power tables configured the way you like, here's how to inject using config.plist.

If you need help adding it to your config.plist, just post your power table and config.plist and I'll help you add it.

Last edited:

Yes for both the jet engines of the Vega VII and the Radeon frontier edition I highly, highly recommend a water cooling loop. I've been doing liquid cooling for about 11 years and I'd be more than happy to install everything perfectly for your dream Rig !

Hi - I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on upgrading my pastrychef build from High Sierra (I'm still on 10.13.6) to Mojave by doing a direct update (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/). I've been going over the process and would appreciate it if anyone could point out any gotchas.

In preparation, I updated Clover and all my kexts, backed up my EFI folder, created a bootable Mojave USB and backed up my boot drive with CCC. My build has been running fine since last fall, I did the whole USBInjectAll SSDT mapping thing which has seemed solid. My GPU is a Nvidia GT 710, and I'm using the iMac18,3 system def.

[maybe important?: For the first time ever, I have had a couple of kernel panic crashes (type 13=general protection) from a running system to black screen in the past week, but I updated clover and all the kexts, and everything has been running with no issue for a couple of days. (I am kinda hoping the clover updates and Mojave upgrade will magically fix any problem, but there may be something serious going on)]

I might need to remove XHCI-200-series-injector.kext before starting the upgrade, not sure on that. My kexts, boot args and patches with disables are attached:
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 5.14.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 5.13.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 5.12.52 PM.png

Any feedback appreciated before I PUSH THE BUTTON!

Hi - I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on upgrading my pastrychef build from High Sierra (I'm still on 10.13.6) to Mojave by doing a direct update (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/). I've been going over the process and would appreciate it if anyone could point out any gotchas.

In preparation, I updated Clover and all my kexts, backed up my EFI folder, created a bootable Mojave USB and backed up my boot drive with CCC. My build has been running fine since last fall, I did the whole USBInjectAll SSDT mapping thing which has seemed solid. My GPU is a Nvidia GT 710, and I'm using the iMac18,3 system def.

[maybe important?: For the first time ever, I have had a couple of kernel panic crashes (type 13=general protection) from a running system to black screen in the past week, but I updated clover and all the kexts, and everything has been running with no issue for a couple of days. (I am kinda hoping the clover updates and Mojave upgrade will magically fix any problem, but there may be something serious going on)]

I might need to remove XHCI-200-series-injector.kext before starting the upgrade, not sure on that. My kexts, boot args and patches with disables are attached:
View attachment 424997
View attachment 424998
View attachment 424999
Any feedback appreciated before I PUSH THE BUTTON!

I believe the GT 710 is still supported so you shouldn't have any problems.

1. Download the EFI Unified r5.1.1 from post #1.
  2. Open your existing config.plist and copy the Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and uia_exclude= settings.
  3. Open the config.plist and past the Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and uia_exclude= settings to it.
  4. Save.
  5. Replace your existing EFI folder with the new one you just downloaded.
  6. Done.

I believe the GT 710 is still supported so you shouldn't have any problems.

1. Download the EFI Unified r5.1.1 from post #1.
  2. Open your existing config.plist and copy the Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and uia_exclude= settings.
  3. Open the config.plist and past the Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and uia_exclude= settings to it.
  4. Save.
  5. Replace your existing EFI folder with the new one you just downloaded.
  6. Done.
Thanks, sounds like the plan! I had downloaded that EFI folder to compare it with mine, but yeah, I could just use it. Although I don't need the VoodooPS2Controller.kext, right?

Thanks, sounds like the plan! I had downloaded that EFI folder to compare it with mine, but yeah, I could just use it. Although I don't need the VoodooPS2Controller.kext, right?

You can delete it if you don't need PS2 support.

Also, remember to copy SSDT-USB.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.

Last edited:
OK, that didn't work :(
It gets to installing with about half the progress down (20 min left or so) and then stops with:
IMG_2118.jpg

Not sure what the problem could be. I used the 5.1.1 EFI and added my Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and uia_exclude= settings to the config.plist. Also added my SSDT-USB.aml to the ACPI/patched folder. Nothing else changed. I did remove the VoodooPS2Controller kext, but I don't see how that could be the issue. Not sure how to get back to the EFI folder to make changes.

OK, that didn't work :(
It gets to installing with about half the progress down (20 min left or so) and then stops with:View attachment 425261

Not sure what the problem could be. I used the 5.1.1 EFI and added my Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and uia_exclude= settings to the config.plist. Also added my SSDT-USB.aml to the ACPI/patched folder. Nothing else changed. I did remove the VoodooPS2Controller kext, but I don't see how that could be the issue. Not sure how to get back to the EFI folder to make changes.

Does the installation start at all?

Try some of the suggestions here:

Also, try disconnecting other drives in the computer, including optical drives.

Does the installation start at all?

Try some of the suggestions here:

Also, try disconnecting other drives in the computer, including optical drives.

Yes, the install starts, gets about half way through (20min left or so), then stops with the error shown.

I'm not getting the same error as discussed in that thread, it is not an 'installer resources' error. It simply says as above, 'macOS cannot be installed on your computer'. I've done a search on that error and get no hits from hackintosh boards, which is unfortunate because I am left with just trying a bunch of random stuff with no clue what is causing it. I will happily try unplugging other hard drives first...

Back