Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Just to make you feel better and not alone, my Designare / Radion VII system refused to come out of sleep today as well :(

Wow. This is the first I've seen anyone other than myself report this.

Does it go in to sleep okay? Mine went in to sleep normally and without issues. It only couldn't wake.

When trying to wake it, does your system freeze? Mine did. The entire system was frozen and I wasn't even able to ping it or VNC in to it.

Do you have problems waking in Windows? I did.

I'll be interested to hear how you feel about Z390 after you complete your build. Please keep us posted.
I sure will Pastrychef. I'm just having a hard time finding a Vega VII and i'm hearing all types of problems with sleep issues etc..

Does it even make sense to make a hackintosh with Nvidia gtx 2080 or gtx 2080 super OR is this Not supported yet for Catalina?

I sure will Pastrychef. I'm just having a hard time finding a Vega VII and i'm hearing all types of problems with sleep issues etc..

Does it even make sense to make a hackintosh with Nvidia gtx 2080 or gtx 2080 super OR is this Not supported yet for Catalina?

Up until a few moments ago, I thought I was the only one with Radeon VII wake issues. Besides the wake issue, the card is really nice. Gaming on it is great and it's power efficient and quiet. It consumes less power than my Vega 56. However, my Vega 56 was overclocked.

In my opinion, investing in any Nvidia card for use with macOS is a huge mistake at this point. Don't do it.

It's my understanding that the Vega VII's are End of Life which is frightening if no support/drivers will be given adequate attention and resolve. I read in a few places including the Puget website and I seen Steve burke(Gamers Nexus) Youtube channel discuss this and all the headaches with Vega VII and Rtx 5700. The only decent RTX which cooled properly was the Sapphire Pulse rtx 5700XT.

He discussed EOL and agreed that you may be able to find a few Vega 7's but they have no intentions on continuing manufacturing!

Jeez, can't AMD just get a decent Card and cpu for us within 20 yrs or are we asking for too much?? .... NOT! :lol:

Up until a few moments ago, I thought I was the only one with Radeon VII wake issues. Besides the wake issue, the card is really nice. Gaming on it is great and it's power efficient and quiet. It consumes less power than my Vega 56. However, my Vega 56 was overclocked.

In my opinion, investing in any Nvidia card for use with macOS is a huge mistake at this point. Don't do it.

I know. would be very foolish. I mean GTX 1080 or Titans were doable about 3-5 years ago, BUT certainly not lately.
Thanks for solidifying that into my head Pchef

It's my understanding that the Vega VII's are End of Life which is frightening if no support/drivers will be given adequate attention and resolve. I read in a few places including the Puget website and I seen Steve burke(Gamers Nexus) Youtube channel discuss this and all the headaches with Vega VII and Rtx 5700. The only decent RTX which cooled properly was the Sapphire Pulse rtx 5700XT.

He discussed EOL and agreed that you may be able to find a few Vega 7's but they have no intentions on continuing manufacturing!

Jeez, can't AMD just get a decent Card and cpu for us within 20 yrs or are we asking for too much?? .... NOT! :lol:

Yes, Radeon VII is EOL. However, my understanding is that the upcoming Mac Pros will be using Vega 20 GPUs which is that Radeon VII is. This should mean driver improvements for Radeon VII.

Yes, Radeon VII is EOL. However, my understanding is that the upcoming Mac Pros will be using Vega 20 GPUs which is that Radeon VII is. This should mean driver improvements for Radeon VII.
OMGosh that's Great! I heard/watched the same with regards to the Vega 20 gpu's. Fingers crossed and praying that you're on the right path my friend :thumbup:

Hi Chef,

I wonder do you know what will happend if I insert a Nvidia and a AMD card in the rig (two card at same time)?
Would both working? Or Can I disable Nvidia and only uses AMD?
Cz sometime I need a Ubuntu for CUDA.

Thanks

Hi Chef,

I wonder do you know what will happend if I insert a Nvidia and a AMD card in the rig (two card at same time)?
Would both working? Or Can I disable Nvidia and only uses AMD?
Cz sometime I need a Ubuntu for CUDA.

Thanks

I've never tried it, but it should work. You may need to disable the Nvidia card, depending on the card. Clover recently added a feature where you can define PrimaryGPU/SecondaryGPU. I believe the SecondaryGPU would be disabled in macOS.

Wow. This is the first I've seen anyone other than myself report this.

Does it go in to sleep okay? Mine went in to sleep normally and without issues. It only couldn't wake.

When trying to wake it, does your system freeze? Mine did. The entire system was frozen and I wasn't even able to ping it or VNC in to it.

Do you have problems waking in Windows? I did.
It goes into sleep without any problem and for the last few weeks has been waking OK as well. But, yesterday, it went in, and I couldn't wake it. I've cleaned out all the power management plist files and let them rebuild - let's see what happens.

Back