Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@veirum @ChaosMonkey

My system has been up for 14 hours and I just tested Wi-Fi speeds. I see no noticeable degradation...

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 8.43.19 AM.png

Hey @pastrychef,
Found the z370-G motherboard on Amazon and about to buy... know of anyone who's added thunderbolt 3 via pci to this? Also, do you lose a SATA port if you install the NVMe? Reading conflicting info.
There is no TH header on Z370G, hence you cannot have a TH3 card on PCIex. You should go for an Asus Z370 A or A II, if you want the TH support.

There is no TH header on Z370G, hence you cannot have a TH3 card on PCIex. You should go for an Asus Z370 A or A II, if you want the TH support.

MacPro5,1s don't have Thunderbolt headers either, but they've gotten Thunderbolt to work...

wow!!! The upload speed is impressive!!! .. the download is strangely lower...

Yes, I see lower download speeds than upload speeds on all my computers using Wi-Fi. Idk why... This is true for DW1560 or BCM94360CS2 in my home.

MacPro5,1s don't have Thunderbolt headers either, but they've gotten Thunderbolt to work...

MacPro5,1 is a real Mac. They have TH integrated in their motherboards. For us it'a different story, we rely upon PC hardware and on how it works.

MacPro5,1 is a real Mac. They have TH integrated in their motherboards. For us it'a different story, we rely upon PC hardware and on how it works.

No, the MacPro5,1 predates Thunderbolt. There's no integrated support for Thunderbolt at all.

No, the MacPro5,1 predates Thunderbolt. There's no integrated support for Thunderbolt at all.
sorry, you mean the tower one... not the cylinder, right?

sorry, you mean the tower one... not the cylinder, right?

Yes.

If I had any Thunderbolt accessories at all, I would buy a Titan Ridge card to mess around with... But I just never invested in to Thunderbolt anything...

Thanks for the info on Thunderbolt. I debated the Gigabyte Designare Z390 but don't like that I lose SATA ports when I do NVMe. Thunderbolt is a minor wishlist item but now with USB C, I realize it's even less important.

I ordered Pastry's Asus z370. On the first attempt, Amazon sent the wrong board (Asus TUF), but say they're sending the correct one Friday.

Any thoughts on 9900K vs 9700K? Looking at benchmarks they look pretty close. It will be used for video editing and VR in Windows.

Back