Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370F
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Yes, it works perfectly. I haven't had a USB keyboard or mouse connected to this hack for the last few months so the only ways for me to wake it are (1) Bluetooth Magic Mouse 2/Magic Trackpad 1 or (2) the power button on the case and I never use the power button on the case.
Good to know. Then, your MB is much different than I thought. Because yours have Wifi/BT built in.

Do you ever use uhd630 as your primary display driver for 4k monitor? I have these stutters when running some system animations like opening folders:
Just curious to know if it's config.plist issue or it means that uhd 630 is not enough for 4k.

Thanks.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello Pastychef and thanks for such a very quick response!

Among some of the things I’ve been doing, I tried to install, high Sierra, however, it was worse than Mojave. I got at the very beginning the forbidden sign.

Personally, after reading some points of view about high Sierra and my unsuccessful attempts to install it, I’m not interested in it at all, so I think It’s better to jump to Mojave.

I have no problem switching my graphics card, and I can get an RX 580 without much problem. Do you think that will do to finish the Mojave install and getting my Ethernet card up and running?

Thanks again,

Ps, I will buy you a cup of coffee!
Yes, the RX 580 will work fine. Just avoid the XFX brand.

Changing video cards will have no affect on your ethernet. You need to find out which ethernet controller your motherboard uses and install the drivers.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Good to know. Then, your MB is much different than I thought. Because yours have Wifi/BT built in.

Do you ever use uhd630 as your primary display driver for 4k monitor? I have these stutters when running some system animations like opening folders:
Just curious to know if it's config.plist issue or it means that uhd 630 is not enough for 4k.

Thanks.
Yes, from comparing experiences with others who use Asus Z370 motherboards that don't ship with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, Bluetooth doesn't work as well. For example, Bluetooth keyboards/mice don't work in BIOS.

Remember to set the USB port where your Bluetooth is connected to be 255 port type when configuring your SSDT.

It's been a long time since I've tried using UHD 630 only but I don't remember stutters like that. I'll be working on a Deskmini in the next few days. I'll report back on how well IGPU works on a 4K monitor.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370F
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Yes, from comparing experiences with others who use Asus Z370 motherboards that don't ship with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, Bluetooth doesn't work as well. For example, Bluetooth keyboards/mice don't work in BIOS.
Mine module is working in clover/bios. It just power off in sleeping mode which cause the issue that I can't wake pc from bt devices.

Remember to set the USB port where your Bluetooth is connected to be 255 port type when configuring your SSDT.
255 really? I created mine SSDT patch in hackintool and set type for each port there, so I checked now it shows 0xFF for port where BT connected. So it should be 0x255 right? Your patch has 0xFF too, and no 255.

It's been a long time since I've tried using UHD 630 only but I don't remember stutters like that. I'll be working on a Deskmini in the next few days. I'll report back on how well IGPU works on a 4K monitor.
Will wait, thanks!

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Mine module is working in clover/bios. It just power off in sleeping mode which cause the issue that I can't wake pc from bt devices.

255 really? I created mine SSDT patch in hackintool and set type for each port there, so I checked now it shows 0xFF for port where BT connected. So it should be 0x255 right? Your patch has 0xFF too, and no 255.

Will wait, thanks!
0xFF in hex = 255 in decimal

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming WIFI AC
CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro
Do you have panic logs? How are temperatures in your system? is the power supply healthy?
I will try to get some logs from next crash. Temperatures are stable at around 30-40 idle and 70-80 under max load. I use my i8700 at 4.8ghz, but I've been trying with default BIOS settings getting the same crash.
Power supply is healthy as far as I know, for example windows is running without problem. The freezes are random and I can't see any connection with workload on the computer.

Since it is happening again after a few months i'm thinking if it could be something with my SSD. Any tips of good health checks for them? I'm running Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500gb, according to system information TRIM is enabled.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I will try to get some logs from next crash. Temperatures are stable at around 30-40 idle and 70-80 under max load. I use my i8700 at 4.8ghz, but I've been trying with default BIOS settings getting the same crash.
Power supply is healthy as far as I know, for example windows is running without problem. The freezes are random and I can't see any connection with workload on the computer.

Since it is happening again after a few months i'm thinking if it could be something with my SSD. Any tips of good health checks for them? I'm running Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500gb, according to system information TRIM is enabled.
If the system is stable in Windows, we have to assume it's just macOS.

The only app that I know of to check SSD health is SSDReporter but I don't own it and have never personally tried it...

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS

Will wait, thanks!
Okay. Here is macOS 10.14.5 running on IGPU HD 530 which is older and less powerful than UHD 630. It is connected to a 4K monitor and resolution is scaled to 1080p. It's a very clean install. The only 3rd party app installed is iStat Menus.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370F
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Okay. Here is macOS 10.14.5 running on IGPU HD 530 which is older and less powerful than UHD 630. It is connected to a 4K monitor and resolution is scaled to 1080p. It's a very clean install. The only 3rd party app installed is iStat Menus.
I only have stutters when opening folders with a lot of apps in it launchpad, as I showed in my video. Everything else running smooth.