Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi, I got some problem when I try to use SAPPHIRE vega 56.
Could you help me?!
My old system is 10.13.6 with i7-8700+H370+MSI GTX1060 and I want to have a clean install 10.14.5 and change GTX1060 to Vega56.
Using HDMI cable to connect Dell U3011.
I follow the official flow and create a Bootable USB Drive with "Inject ATI".
When I change the video card to vega 56 and boot from the USB drive, the screen shows very small in the center.
I can choose "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS Mojave", but the screen shows like the attached image.

View attachment 413349

I also got this problem when I add Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext.
Have no idea now... Could you please give me a hint or maybe I missing something?

Don't use "Inject ATI". In fact, leave the entire Graphics section of your config.plist blank and, as suggested by babynof, try disabling CSM in BIOS.

Hi @pastrychef

Thanks for continued updates to the EFI folder.

I'm attempting to update to r5.0.3/Clover r4972 so that I can install the Catalina beta.

I'm testing r5.0.3 from the EFI partition of a USB first. At first I didn't think I was even able to boot from the USB's EFI, because the welcome screen on boot indicated the version was r4934.

However, it seems that it is in fact booting from the USB's EFI, because if I unhide volumes by changing the USB's config.plist, I see those changes reflected in the boot menu.

When I boot up from the USB's EFI and check the booted version of clover in Clover Configurator, it's 4934.

So basically I'm pretty sure I've booted from your r5.0.3 EFI via my USB, but everything seems to indicate the version of Clover is 4934 rather than 4972.

Any thoughts on how to further troubleshoot would be welcomed!

Hi @pastrychef

Thanks for continued updates to the EFI folder.

I'm attempting to update to r5.0.3/Clover r4972 so that I can install the Catalina beta.

I'm testing r5.0.3 from the EFI partition of a USB first. At first I didn't think I was even able to boot from the USB's EFI, because the welcome screen on boot indicated the version was r4934.

However, it seems that it is in fact booting from the USB's EFI, because if I unhide volumes by changing the USB's config.plist, I see those changes reflected in the boot menu.

When I boot up from the USB's EFI and check the booted version of clover in Clover Configurator, it's 4934.

So basically I'm pretty sure I've booted from your r5.0.3 EFI via my USB, but everything seems to indicate the version of Clover is 4934 rather than 4972.

Any thoughts on how to further troubleshoot would be welcomed!

I think it's just a visual error. Catalina will work with 5.0.3.

Don't use "Inject ATI". In fact, leave the entire Graphics section of your config.plist blank and, as suggested by babynof, try disabling CSM in BIOS.
Disabling CSM in your BIOS should fix that.

Thank you guys, fix the screen issue!
Meet another issue is 2 minutes remaining... and some guys said to manual reboot the computer and replace
AptioMemoryFix.efi to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
but after reboot, I cannot continue to install the os now.
1 time stuck 13 minutes remaining ...
1 time stuck at 15minutes remaining ...
and now stuck at the apple logo forever...>"<
I think I need to make a new USB drive now and have a clean install again.
Do you have any suggestion UEFI drivers for a new USB drive to install macOS 10.14.5?

Thank you guys, fix the screen issue!
Meet another issue is 2 minutes remaining... and some guys said to manual reboot the computer and replace
AptioMemoryFix.efi to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
but after reboot, I cannot continue to install the os now.
1 time stuck 13 minutes remaining ...
1 time stuck at 15minutes remaining ...
and now stuck at the apple logo forever...>"<
I think I need to make a new USB drive now and have a clean install again.
Do you have any suggestion UEFI drivers for a new USB drive to install macOS 10.14.5?

Boot in verbose mode and go through the installation. Take a picture of where it stops.

I think it's just a visual error. Catalina will work with 5.0.3.

Hm, I don't think BOOTX64.efi was updated in r5.0.3. I compared the md5 checksum of BOOTX64.efi in r5.0.2 vs. r5.0.3 and it's the same (815485b4e50ca26d7200a8b90a36b272). I then downloaded Clover_v2.4k_r4972.zip from Sourceforge and installed it on my USB and checked the BOOTX64.efi from that - it's ce262cc8648c823a1573fb38628d4c9e (i.e. different).

BOOTX64.efi is probably responsible for rendering the 'Welcome to Clover' message and possibly also informing Clover Configurator what version has been booted, which would explain my observations. Catalina probably works because CLOVERX64.efi has been updated to r4972 but some of the boot process is still running from the r4934 BOOTX64.efi.

Hm, I don't think BOOTX64.efi was updated in r5.0.3. I compared the md5 checksum of BOOTX64.efi in r5.0.2 vs. r5.0.3 and it's the same (815485b4e50ca26d7200a8b90a36b272). I then downloaded Clover_v2.4k_r4972.zip from Sourceforge and installed it on my USB and checked the BOOTX64.efi from that - it's ce262cc8648c823a1573fb38628d4c9e (i.e. different).

BOOTX64.efi is probably responsible for rendering the 'Welcome to Clover' message and possibly also informing Clover Configurator what version has been booted, which would explain my observations. Catalina probably works because CLOVERX64.efi has been updated to r4972 but some of the boot process is still running from the r4934 BOOTX64.efi.

Since you have the Clover installer, just run it to update it yourself.

Boot in verbose mode and go through the installation. Take a picture of where it stops.

Hi pastrychef,

Thank you so much! The installation is done and works well now.

Back