Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello @pastrychef. Are you able to wake your hackintosh by bluetooth devices? I have BCM943602CS wifi/bt module which is works just fine but on my MB (asus z370-f which pretty similar to yours) I can't wake it up. I bet it's because the module doesn't get power while sleeping (no light on it). But on my previous MB (asrock z370 extreme) it works perfectly fine. So does it works for you? Maybe there is a some tricky bios setting which I couldn't find. I have patch SSDT for usb ports.
Yes, it works perfectly. I haven't had a USB keyboard or mouse connected to this hack for the last few months so the only ways for me to wake it are (1) Bluetooth Magic Mouse 2/Magic Trackpad 1 or (2) the power button on the case and I never use the power button on the case.

Motherboard
ASUS Strix Z370- Wifi
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I found the reason for stuttering mouse/trackpad:

It is something with the Vega to Display (4K) connection.
If I use Displayport it stutters every couple of seconds. Like dropped frames. I can reproduce this with the one cable I have.
If I use HDMI 2.0 it is all smooth.
Maybe it is my Displayport Cable. It is quite long with 1,5m. It worked before.
A different Cable with my Macbook works fine with this monitor. So this leaves either the Vega64s Displayport Ports, Firmware, Mac OS Drivers or the Cable.

WEIRD! But at lest it works now

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I found the reason for stuttering mouse/trackpad:

It is something with the Vega to Display (4K) connection.
If I use Displayport it stutters every couple of seconds. Like dropped frames. I can reproduce this with the one cable I have.
If I use HDMI 2.0 it is all smooth.
Maybe it is my Displayport Cable. It is quite long with 1,5m. It worked before.
A different Cable with my Macbook works fine with this monitor. So this leaves either the Vega64s Displayport Ports, Firmware, Mac OS Drivers or the Cable.

WEIRD! But at lest it works now
Most probably cable. Others have had issues when using questionable cables too.

Motherboard
ASUS Strix Z370- Wifi
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
System Definitions Revisited

All along, I've always preferred using using iMac18,x or iMac19,1 system definitions with IGPU enabled on this hack because of the similarities with CPU and motherboard chipset. I did test the iMacPro1,1 system definition way back when the iMac Pro was first released and, while it worked fine, I ended up going back to iMac18,x.

With the release of macOS 10.14.5, Apple made some changes to how macOS handles GPUs and they improved h.264 and HEVC encoding/decoding handling on iMac Pros. I decided to give the iMacPro1,1 system definition another try. Here's what I found.

View attachment 411331

As you can see, everything is working with iMacPro1,1. There are no compromises. It's only been about two days since I started retesting this system definition, but it has been running great. Until I encounter any issues, I'm going to be sticking with this.
If you plan on keeping this long-term and adding this to the downloadable EFI folders, please update Post#1 with infos on HOW to disable the iGPU.
Please also warn people, that if they change their system definition on a working machine, they will loose their iCloud login and get error messages from apple. And all other Logins and Licenses need to be recovered/transferred as well because they will be logged out/marked invalid for this new machine.
The smoother solution is to Change System Definition, then reboot and instantly install Mac OS, freshly. Then restore from TimeMachineBackup. This will preserve iCloud and most logins. Licences will probably still be needed to be transferred...

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
If you plan on keeping this long-term and adding this to the downloadable EFI folders, please update Post#1 with infos on HOW to disable the iGPU.
Please also warn people, that if they change their system definition on a working machine, they will loose their iCloud login and get error messages from apple. And all other Logins and Licenses need to be recovered/transferred as well because they will be logged out/marked invalid for this new machine.
The smoother solution is to Change System Definition, then reboot and instantly install Mac OS, freshly. Then restore from TimeMachineBackup. This will preserve iCloud and most logins. Licences will probably still be needed to be transferred...
Disabling IGPU is done from BIOS.

I haven't done a clean install since about 2006. I'm using the same basic install from when I first made the transition from PowerPC to Intel on my MacPro1,1. Each time I've upgraded computers, I just transplanted the system drive or cloned it to the new system. I went from MacPro1,1 to MacPro3,1 to MacPro5,1 to Z170 hack to Z370 hack all on basically the same install. I started on Panther and upgraded through each of the cats and then through all the California landmarks. Clean installs are overrated.

While I do have a Time Machine backup, I've never had to use it. Also, not all app licenses need to be recovered.

After changing system definition, you will be asked to log in to iCloud again. Do so and all the apps you purchased from the App Store will immediately work.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

I haven't done a clean install since about 2006. I'm using the same basic install from when I first made the transition from PowerPC to Intel on my MacPro1,1. Each time I've upgraded computers, I just transplanted the system drive or cloned it to the new system. I went from MacPro1,1 to MacPro3,1 to MacPro5,1 to Z170 hack to Z370 hack all on basically the same install. I started on Panther and upgraded through each of the cats and then through all the California landmarks. Clean installs are overrated.

LOL! From another Mac Pro user, I can agree with your method of upgrading and changing systems. That procedure seems to be a procedure early learned in the Mac owner. BTW, I, too, have gone from IIsc to IIx to PowerPC G4 to G5 to Mac Pros. A neat journey.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
LOL! From another Mac Pro user, I can agree with your method of upgrading and changing systems. That procedure seems to be a procedure early learned in the Mac owner. BTW, I, too, have gone from IIsc to IIx to PowerPC G4 to G5 to Mac Pros. A neat journey.
My first exposure to Mac was on an Atari ST with a Gadgets by Small Spectre cartridge. Lol. Years later, I got a hand me down Power Mac 6100 then 8100 then Power Mac G3 B&W. By the time I was able to afford to buy my own Macs, I went through every iteration of Power Mac G4s except the Cube. I never got a G5 because I just didn't like how hot they ran and avoided the water cooled one at all cost so I went from Power Mac G4 MDD straight to MacPro1,1.

Back in those days, making a backup was just a matter of copying the System folder. Lol. I avoided clean installs because it was such a pain to configure Conflict Catcher.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7 6600K
Graphics
Vega 56
For some reason, you are not getting the HDAU device. Instead, it's routing HDEF to where HDAU should be...

Please try installing one of the .aml files from here to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.

I suggest trying the Kamarang one first.
Hi I tried your suggestion but still would not work with the HDMI/DP audio.

Could you please tell me how you see the incorrect HDAU routing? Thank you.

I'm not sure if it'll help, but I attached the lists kexts in S/L/E and L/E. Also the output of kextstat.

Attachments

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi I tried your suggestion but still would not work the HDMI/DP audio. Could you please tell me how you see the incorrect HDAU routing? Thank you.
Here is your ioreg file. You have HDEF.:
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 5.46.02 PM.png

Here is my ioreg file. I have HDAU.:
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 5.46.56 PM.png