Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Just curious if you’ve tried sidecar with the iMac Pro SMBIOS. I would assume it needs the iGPU to work?

I did not try yet. My iPads are too old and can't run iPadOS 13.

System Definitions Revisited

All along, I've always preferred using using iMac18,x or iMac19,1 system definitions with IGPU enabled on this hack because of the similarities with CPU and motherboard chipset. I did test the iMacPro1,1 system definition way back when the iMac Pro was first released and, while it worked fine, I ended up going back to iMac18,x.

With the release of macOS 10.14.5, Apple made some changes to how macOS handles GPUs and they improved h.264 and HEVC encoding/decoding handling on iMac Pros. I decided to give the iMacPro1,1 system definition another try. Here's what I found.

View attachment 411331

As you can see, everything is working with iMacPro1,1. There are no compromises. It's only been about two days since I started retesting this system definition, but it has been running great. Until I encounter any issues, I'm going to be sticking with this.

Hey Pastry,
Thanks for all the amazing work you do. Been following this thread for quite awhile and the level of detail is great as is your willingness to help the crowd.

So full DRM-- you're able to stream iTunes okay?

Overall, how's your build holding up? Any glitches? Sleep works good? Nice performance? Any other quirks?

I'm at the fork in the road and about to spend a bunch of money upgrading but need something more bullet-proof than my current build. Will be doing a lot of Final Cut work.

May even just buy normal Mac considering the new processors. But of course, bang-for-the-buck is much better doing a Hack so debating. The specs on your build is what I'm looking for.

Hey Pastry,
Thanks for all the amazing work you do. Been following this thread for quite awhile and the level of detail is great as is your willingness to help the crowd.

So full DRM-- you're able to stream iTunes okay?

Overall, how's your build holding up? Any glitches? Sleep works good? Nice performance? Any other quirks?

I'm at the fork in the road and about to spend a bunch of money upgrading but need something more bullet-proof than my current build. Will be doing a lot of Final Cut work.

May even just buy normal Mac considering the new processors. But of course, bang-for-the-buck is much better doing a Hack so debating. The specs on your build is what I'm looking for.

Yes, full DRM. I've tested iTunes and Amazon. I cancelled HBO after Game of Thrones ended so couldn't test that...

Build is holding up great. No glitches. Sleep works perfectly. Performance is as good as the first day it was put together. No quirks.

My Vega 56 has been great too. But I'm seriously considering upgrading to Radeon VII for better gaming experience in Windows...

I really like the current iMac and iMac Pro and would probably own one if hackintosh didn't exist. The only thing I don't like is the cooling system and how it's pretty much impossible to dust the fans without ripping the whole thing apart...

Yes, full DRM. I've tested iTunes and Amazon. I cancelled HBO after Game of Thrones ended so couldn't test that...

Build is holding up great. No glitches. Sleep works perfectly. Performance is as good as the first day it was put together. No quirks.

My Vega 56 has been great too. But I'm seriously considering upgrading to Radeon VII for better gaming experience in Windows...

I really like the current iMac and iMac Pro and would probably own one if hackintosh didn't exist. The only thing I don't like is the cooling system and how it's pretty much impossible to dust the fans without ripping the whole thing apart...

Thanks, good to hear! If you were buying today, anything else you'd upgrade? Don't mind spending the money if the gear is good.

Was looking at the Radeon VII as well but initial benchmarks look lower than your Vega...maybe drivers aren't optimized??...but would love to have better gaming performance in Windows. Have a 1080Ti right now, love it, but Apple of course is not supporting which makes me crazy. I have to have 2 cards in one system - AMD+Nvidia=headaches.

Thanks, good to hear! If you were buying today, anything else you'd upgrade? Don't mind spending the money if the gear is good.

Was looking at the Radeon VII as well but initial benchmarks look lower than your Vega...maybe drivers aren't optimized??...but would love to have better gaming performance in Windows. Have a 1080Ti right now, love it, but Apple of course is not supporting which makes me crazy. I have to have 2 cards in one system - AMD+Nvidia.

If I were building today, I may consider the Noctua NH-U12A with two fans. Cooling performance is nearly identical to the NH-D15S while being much smaller. Seasonic has also released newer, smaller power supplies that look great.

Other than that, there's nothing I would change.

Yeah, Nvidia cards are not in any of my considerations. macOS is more important to me than Windows.

The Radeon VII isn't fully optimized in macOS yet, but it's getting really close. I think with the release of the new Mac Pros, we will see updated drivers.

For gaming in Windows, the Radeon VII has come a long way since launch and should perform better than a GTX 1080 Ti in just about all games.

If I were building today, I may consider the Noctua NH-U12A with two fans. Cooling performance is nearly identical to the NH-D15S while being much smaller. Seasonic has also released newer, smaller power supplies that look great.

Other than that, there's nothing I would change.

Yeah, Nvidia cards are not in any of my considerations. macOS is more important to me than Windows.

The Radeon VII isn't fully optimized in macOS yet, but it's getting really close. I think with the release of the new Mac Pros, we will see updated drivers.

For gaming in Windows, the Radeon VII has come a long way since launch and should perform better than a GTX 1080 Ti in just about all games.

Alright, good to know. If I can ditch the 1080 and still keep the performance, I'd be happy.
Thanks again for the advice.

I don't know what's different from your old EFI... I never saw your old EFI.

During the installation process, the computer is supposed to restart a few times.

Just mount the EFI partition of your main system drive and copy the entire EFI folder I gave you to the root director of the EFI partition of your main system drive.

Yes, you can just swap the video cards. There's nothing else you need to do. Make sure you don't buy an XFX branded video card.

That EFI should have had what UniBeast created, nothing else. However it booted, but Mojave install was resetting.

One more question, USB 2.0 ports are working fine, but 3.0 and 3.1 don't. How do I enable the 3.0 and 3.1?

Thanks!

That EFI should have had what UniBeast created, nothing else. However it booted, but Mojave install was resetting.

One more question, USB 2.0 ports are working fine, but 3.0 and 3.1 don't. How do I enable the 3.0 and 3.1?

Thanks!

You need to apply one of the proper USB 15 port limit fixes. There are several ways to do it. You can use Hackintool or Google one of the guides.

Hi, I got some problem when I try to use SAPPHIRE vega 56.
Could you help me?!
My old system is 10.13.6 with i7-8700+H370+MSI GTX1060 and I want to have a clean install 10.14.5 and change GTX1060 to Vega56.
Using HDMI cable to connect Dell U3011.
I follow the official flow and create a Bootable USB Drive with "Inject ATI".
When I change the video card to vega 56 and boot from the USB drive, the screen shows very small in the center.
I can choose "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS Mojave", but the screen shows like the attached image.

I also got this problem when I add Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext.
Have no idea now... Could you please give me a hint or maybe I missing something?

Hi, I got some problem when I try to use SAPPHIRE vega 56.
Could you help me?!
My old system is 10.13.6 with i7-8700+H370+MSI GTX1060 and I want to have a clean install 10.14.5 and change GTX1060 to Vega56.
Using HDMI cable to connect Dell U3011.
I follow the official flow and create a Bootable USB Drive with "Inject ATI".
When I change the video card to vega 56 and boot from the USB drive, the screen shows very small in the center.
I can choose "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS Mojave", but the screen shows like the attached image.

View attachment 413349

I also got this problem when I add Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext.
Have no idea now... Could you please give me a hint or maybe I missing something?

Disabling CSM in your BIOS should fix that.

Back