Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the response. I'll remove the m2 and retry install. I currently have windows installed on that drive.

As for taking a picture I'll give another try doesn't seem to get stuck just breezes through

As for the 370 vs 390 from the reading so far it doesn't seem like too much of a variance but I won't speculate. Also, do letter variance of the board (I VS F) matter in configuration?
On Z370, I found that there was very little difference between different models. For example, nearly identical configurations worked for Z370-G and Z370-I, etc.

I don't think the same is true for Z390. Z390 seems weird and there are many inconsistencies to me... Just my two cents...

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z390-E
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
On Z370, I found that there was very little difference between different models. For example, nearly identical configurations worked for Z370-G and Z370-I, etc.

I don't think the same is true for Z390. Z390 seems weird and there are many inconsistencies to me... Just my two cents...
Hmm, that's not reassuring. I don't think I've seen a post about Asus ROG Z390-E,. I've seen a G, but no E. Back to the battle front I guess.

Appreciate your help, will try get a picture of the setup shortly.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z390-E
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Z390 is considerably different from Z370. It can still be made to work but may require lots of changes to configuration.

Boot in verbose mode and take a picture of where it gets stuck. At the Clover boot menu, select the options to not reboot on a kernel panic.

Make sure the Samsung 970 EVO Plus is not even installed in the computer. Just having it installed can cause kernel panics even if nothing is installed on it.
Confirmed**
Staring at a Mac desktop currently and nearly tears in my eyes. More to go in configuration but this feels like the huge first step. Thanks @pastrychef .

Samsung 970 Plus is the culprit. As @pastrychef said HD should be completely out of the motherboard.
Booting in Verbose and turning off kernel panic and ignoring graphics Intel injection was also on.

Next stop configuration.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Confirmed**
Staring at a Mac desktop currently and nearly tears in my eyes. More to go in configuration but this feels like the huge first step. Thanks @pastrychef .

Samsung 970 Plus is the culprit. As @pastrychef said HD should be completely out of the motherboard.
Booting in Verbose and turning off kernel panic and ignoring graphics Intel injection was also on.

Next stop configuration.
Awesome.

Test the most common things that give people problems:
  • IGPU. Make sure it's working heedlessly.
  • USB. Make sure all the ports are working. Map them out for when you are ready to apply one of the "proper" USB fixes.
  • Sleep/Wake. Test short and long sleep.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pastrychef, I'm thinking about getting a used Vega 64 now that the Radeon VII graphics cards are out in the marketplace and Mojave 10.14.5 is on the horizon. I've tried to research which make/model Vega 64 would be painless to use with macOS. But, I haven't found any conclusive reports as to which manufacturer of Vega 64's is the one to get. Closest I can come to a painless integration is the Sapphire Vega 64. Have you found anything on Vega 64's that would indicate a particular make/model with a painless integration with Mojave?

(I think that sticking to a "reference design" is the safest approach.)

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pastrychef, I'm thinking about getting a used Vega 64 now that the Radeon VII graphics cards are out in the marketplace and Mojave 10.14.5 is on the horizon. I've tried to research which make/model Vega 64 would be painless to use with macOS. But, I haven't found any conclusive reports as to which manufacturer of Vega 64's is the one to get. Closest I can come to a painless integration is the Sapphire Vega 64. Have you found anything on Vega 64's that would indicate a particular make/model with a painless integration with Mojave?

(I think that sticking to a "reference design" is the safest approach.)
I agree. Reference should be the most trouble-free.

I have read of some users with the Sapphire Vega 64 having success, but keep in mind that they block more than 2 PCI-e slots. It's less of a problem for ATX motherboards, but can be very important to mATX users.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I agree. Reference should be the most trouble-free.

I have read of some users with the Sapphire Vega 64 having success, but keep in mind that they block more than 2 PCI-e slots. It's less of a problem for ATX motherboards, but can be very important to mATX users.
Thank you for your insight. In relooking Vega 64's on eBay, they all look like reference cards...good news there. Gigabyte and MSI as well as Sapphire make reference cards. WRT 2+ slot width, I'll confirm but the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ is definitely 2 1/2 slots wide. I'm not looking for that much power. <fingers-crossed>The "regular" Sapphire Vega 64 (as well as the MSI and Gigabyte reference cards) is more than adequate. </fingers-crossed>