Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm also using the one next to HDMI (although it doesn't seem to make a difference), and have CSM disabled.
Can you please try booting in to the Recovery partition using the config.plist from EFI r4.5.3? Does it also go to black screen?

Motherboard
Huawei Matebook D i5-8250U 14"
CPU
Intel i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
iOS
Try Clover r4920.
Well...it's somehow solved.
No more fan whining prior to sleep and the monitor bouncing from dark to light again.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus X299 WS Sage
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
So, thought I'd just mention in passing that a user on another thread (@kgp's thread, actually) reported that he bought two brand new, fresh out of the box Asus Aquantia 10G cards from Amazon (the same ones we've purchased and used), and they worked without any patches, any modding whatsoever. He's on 10.14.4.

He just plugged them in and they worked. How about that?

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes - still gets the black screen.
I don't get it... We have extremely similar systems. I have no idea why DisplayPort isn't working for you...

For me, neither IGPU nor the Vega 56 needs any framebuffer patching. In fact, nothing graphics related needs to be done to config.plist.

Have you tried updating to the latest Lilu/WhateverGreen?

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
I don't get it... We have extremely similar systems. I have no idea why DisplayPort isn't working for you...

For me, neither IGPU nor the Vega 56 needs any framebuffer patching. In fact, nothing graphics related needs to be done to config.plist.

Have you tried updating to the latest Lilu/WhateverGreen?
I'm up to date on my kexts (first thing I check :) ). I posed the same question to the Framebuffer Patching thread, and CMMChris suggested looking into AGDP kext to patch.

Turns out, there's a 'agdpmod=ignore' boot flag for whatevergreen, and it fixed my issue. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why this was required, but maybe it's a result of my mobo/card configuration...

Thanks for your help and time!

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm up to date on my kexts (first thing I check :) ). I posed the same question to the Framebuffer Patching thread, and CMMChris suggested looking into AGDP kext to patch.

Turns out, there's a 'agdpmod=ignore' boot flag for whatevergreen, and it fixed my issue. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why this was required, but maybe it's a result of my mobo/card configuration...

Thanks for your help and time!
Weird... I've never needed that...

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z390-E
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
First off thaNK you for the detailed guide.

I've just completed my hardware build
I9-9900
Asus ROG gaming 390-e
Gtrident 2x16gb
Corsair liquid cooler
1tb inland sata
500 GB Samsung 970 plus evo
Xfx radon 580x

I've tried looking through other threads but haven't found a fix.

After the initial USB high Sierra boot I make it past all the logos and drive selection and get to installation (the 18 minute one). Installation used to run and then reboot, now it gets stuck and then reboots.

Tried to boot via verbose, safe, no freeze flags but still no luck. Bios was setup according to your and multiple other posts. I also tried unchecking the Intel I kect in graphics co figuration in clover.

Bios has all the adjustments including fastboot and secure boot disabled.

I see some errors during install but that thing is too fast and doesn't get stuck until it gets to installation.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll try to photograph the Install log.

P.s. I am installing in on the inland drive since the Samsung 970 plus m.2 has issues based on what I've read. Both the drive and USB were formatted with os journaled and guid partition

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
First off thaNK you for the detailed guide.

I've just completed my hardware build
I9-9900
Asus ROG gaming 390-e
Gtrident 2x16gb
Corsair liquid cooler
1tb inland sata
500 GB Samsung 970 plus evo
Xfx radon 580x

I've tried looking through other threads but haven't found a fix.

After the initial USB high Sierra boot I make it past all the logos and drive selection and get to installation (the 18 minute one). Installation used to run and then reboot, now it gets stuck and then reboots.

Tried to boot via verbose, safe, no freeze flags but still no luck. Bios was setup according to your and multiple other posts. I also tried unchecking the Intel I kect in graphics co figuration in clover.

Bios has all the adjustments including fastboot and secure boot disabled.

I see some errors during install but that thing is too fast and doesn't get stuck until it gets to installation.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll try to photograph the Install log.

P.s. I am installing in on the inland drive since the Samsung 970 plus m.2 has issues based on what I've read. Both the drive and USB were formatted with os journaled and guid partition
Z390 is considerably different from Z370. It can still be made to work but may require lots of changes to configuration.

Boot in verbose mode and take a picture of where it gets stuck. At the Clover boot menu, select the options to not reboot on a kernel panic.

Make sure the Samsung 970 EVO Plus is not even installed in the computer. Just having it installed can cause kernel panics even if nothing is installed on it.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z390-E
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Z390 is considerably different from Z370. It can still be made to work but may require lots of changes to configuration.

Boot in verbose mode and take a picture of where it gets stuck. At the Clover boot menu, select the options to not reboot on a kernel panic.

Make sure the Samsung 970 EVO Plus is not even installed in the computer. Just having it installed can cause kernel panics even if nothing is installed on it.
Thanks for the response. I'll remove the m2 and retry install. I currently have windows installed on that drive.

As for taking a picture I'll give another try doesn't seem to get stuck just breezes through

As for the 370 vs 390 from the reading so far it doesn't seem like too much of a variance but I won't speculate. Also, do letter variance of the board (I VS F) matter in configuration?