Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

That's weird... What are your Geekbench Metal scores? Are you using VGTab?
Geekbench Metal: 207598
Geekbench Open CL:200513
Results are oddly similar.

I was using VGTab before the update, I didn't bother after this update since results were the same and just dropping the kext in EFI doesn't work for me, it fails boot so I have to follow the Injection Guide and paste the control data to the config file.

Is there any advantage to using VGTab other than more fan control and overclocking? My GPU idles at 24c and I rather not overclock unless I really need to, it's a Saphire Nitro+ so it already comes a bit overclocked.
"Fan Speed(%)"=45
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1501
"Temperature(C)"=24

I'm baffled to how a 580 can beat a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega64 in BruceX

Last edited:
Hi pastrychef,

I have read in your first message that dual monitors from a single vega card work fine and kind of assumed that also three monitors would work as the vega cards has three DP outputs. I must be able to connect to three monitors, have also 2 vega cards installed - would this be possible, what do you think? Unfortunately I didn't test this as I was functionally testing the system and now it is completely disassembled for all the watercooling stuff to be implemented. I hope that three displays would work. All of those are 4K, 21:9, nothing special here, macOS on the system showed as being a 5K display).

Thank you for any help and guidance.

Geekbench Metal: 207598
Geekbench Open CL:200513
Results are oddly similar.

I was using VGTab before the update, I didn't bother after this update since results were the same and just dropping the kext in EFI doesn't work for me, it fails boot so I have to follow the Injection Guide and paste the control data to the config file.

Is there any advantage to using VGTab other than more fan control and overclocking? My GPU idles at 24c and I rather not overclock unless I really need to, it's a Saphire Nitro+ so it already comes a bit overclocked.
"Fan Speed(%)"=45
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1501
"Temperature(C)"=24

I'm baffled to how a 580 can beat a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega64 in BruceX

Just gong by your Geekbench scores, your Vega 64 seems to be working fine. Ask the RX 580 users which version of macOS and which version of FCPX he/she was using. Different versions will produce different results.

If you do not need the fan control and do not want to mess with the clocks, there's no reason to use VGTab at all.

Hi pastrychef,

I have read in your first message that dual monitors from a single vega card work fine and kind of assumed that also three monitors would work as the vega cards has three DP outputs. I must be able to connect to three monitors, have also 2 vega cards installed - would this be possible, what do you think? Unfortunately I didn't test this as I was functionally testing the system and now it is completely disassembled for all the watercooling stuff to be implemented. I hope that three displays would work. All of those are 4K, 21:9, nothing special here, macOS on the system showed as being a 5K display).

Thank you for any help and guidance.

I don't even have two monitor and had to borrow one to test dual monitors... I really have no way to test triple monitors. Maybe someone else can help...

There should be no problems with using dual Vega cards. There's nothing to configure. Just plug them in and go.

Maybe I should put it back together again in the test case and extensively test the three displays... I will report tomorrow.
I have tested both vega cards and they work well, no issues (except one should think about proper cooling).

Another question, anything special to do for sleep/wakeup to work, any special setups, BIOS, kext or things todo in Clover? Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
Maybe I should put it back again in the test case and extensively test the three displays... I will report tomorrow.
I have tested both cards and they work well, no issues (except one should think about proper cooling).

Another question, anything special to do for sleep/wakeup to work, any special setups, BIOS, kext or things todo in Clover? Thank you so much for your help!

No. If you are using my EFI folder, sleep/wake should work perfectly. BIOS settings are shown in post #1.

The only thing you need to do is put the SSDT-USB.aml file in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/, decide which 11 ports you want to disable, and add the ports to config.plist. This is also explained in post #1.

I am having issues with the boot after updating to 14.4 with the unchanged EFI from 14.3 (attached).
I boot from FileVault Preeboter, type in my passwort, the the loading-bar takes forever and after it finally finishes I get a black screen.
If I boot from a USB Stick with the standard UniBeast EFI on it, It boots to the desktop fine.
Is the problem related to my RX570 ?
Maybe a simple change in config.plist can solve this?
Is the disablegfxfirmware flag needed?

I also have Issues with my rear USB 3.0 Ports (the blue top 4 ones). Probably unrelated, but I can not explain this, as well... It was there with 14.3 and 14.2, too.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• EFI 453.zip
    27.7 MB · Views: 85
I am having issues with the boot after updating to 14.4 with the unchanged EFI from 14.3 (attached).
I boot from FileVault Preeboter, type in my passwort, the the loading-bar takes forever and after it finally finishes I get a black screen.
If I boot from a USB Stick with the standard UniBeast EFI on it, It boots to the desktop fine.
Is the problem related to my RX570 ?
Maybe a simple change in config.plist can solve this?
Is the disablegfxfirmware flag needed?

I also have Issues with my rear USB 3.0 Ports (the blue top 4 ones). Probably unrelated, but I can not explain this, as well... It was there with 14.3 and 14.2, too.

Thanks in advance.

RX 570? Your profile shows Vega 56...

I think that, by the time it reaches the FileVault login screen, macOS should be done loading the system files. The standard UniBeast EFI injects a wrong IGPU device-id which, in turn, makes IGPU useless. In looking at your config.plist, I see that you haven't entered the info to spoof 8th gen IGPU. This is needed because you are using 9th gen CPU and full support for 9th gen isn't quite complete in macOS 10.14.4 yet. Details on how to do this are on post #1.

In your config.plist. You have the boot argument "-uia_exclude=". It should be "uia_exclude=". No minus sign in front.

Please try the above changes and let me know how it works out.

I also got rid of the external SMA connectors for the radio on the mainboard and connected this internal BT/WiFi antenna with two 15cm cables straight to the Apple BCM94360CS2 card. Will connect an Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 to it.

Confirming that this internal Blutooth Antenna works like a charm with the Apple BCM94360CS2 card. Both the Magic Keyboard and the Magic Trackpad 2 connected immediately to it and work very stable.

Back