Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Please boot in verbose mode and take a picture of where it freezes.
verbose mode doesn't tell me anything. But looking in the installer log, it appears that although disk utility reports it setup my disk correctly, the installer log is saying otherwise.

Regardless of whether I format my drive as MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, as soon as i go to the installer, the installer log throws a ton of errors saying something like "MacOS cannot be installed on this target. Drive is not formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) Cannot be converted to APFS."

Last edited:
verbose mode doesn't tell me anything. But looking in the installer log, it appears that although disk utility reports it setup my disk correctly, the installer log is saying otherwise.View attachment 390234

Regardless of whether I format my drive as MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, as soon as i go to the installer, the installer log throws a ton of errors saying something like "MacOS cannot be installed on this target. Drive is not formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) Cannot be converted to APFS."

What kind of drive are you trying to install on? When installing Mojave, you should format the drive to APFS.

Please try recreating your USB installer following instructions from here.

What kind of drive are you trying to install on? When installing Mojave, you should format the drive to APFS.

Please try recreating your USB installer following instructions from here.
It's a Cruicial mx300 2TB SSD drive. I had it in my MacBook Pro, but recently pulled it after upgrading it to a 4 tb drive.

I also cannot get Mojave directly through my MacBook. It's an early 2011. So I used it to build a High Sierra USB installer. (Tried it twice throughout this process with the same results)

It's a Cruicial mx300 2TB SSD drive. I had it in my MacBook Pro, but recently pulled it after upgrading it to a 4 tb drive.

I also cannot get Mojave directly through my MacBook. It's an early 2011. So I used it to build a High Sierra USB installer. (Tried it twice throughout this process with the same results)

I don't know why the macOS installer is complaining about your SSD. The MX300 should be fine.

You can always use your MacBook to install to the MX300 then move the drive back to your hack when the installation is done. Just copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition of the MX300 after the installation.

Hey all,

First of all I wanted to say thank you for such a detailed guide, I've followed it through to the letter but I'm having a problem during the install.

My motherboard is the f version of the z390, so perhaps its that causing me a few issues, I'd already noted that the bios has a few different options to the one described in this post, but it's almost identical.

The issue I have is that when I'm doing the installation to the NVME drive it's stopping at 2 minutes remaining and just hanging there, if I reboot the Hackintosh at this point, the installation does continue to the point whereby it's asking for wifi network selection but it hangs there and appears to crash.

Do you have any suggestions that may help hear please?

Thanks, Foolish.

Try using the option to set up the network later if you can.
Thanks for the reply @P1LGRIM - I just found that XHCI Handoff was disabled in my bios, from reading it appears I should have that enabled, so I'm trying that now, hope for better results this time, if not I'll follow your suggestion.

Hey all,

First of all I wanted to say thank you for such a detailed guide, I've followed it through to the letter but I'm having a problem during the install.

My motherboard is the f version of the z390, so perhaps its that causing me a few issues, I'd already noted that the bios has a few different options to the one described in this post, but it's almost identical.

The issue I have is that when I'm doing the installation to the NVME drive it's stopping at 2 minutes remaining and just hanging there, if I reboot the Hackintosh at this point, the installation does continue to the point whereby it's asking for wifi network selection but it hangs there and appears to crash.

Do you have any suggestions that may help hear please?

Thanks, Foolish.

Please boot in verbose mode and take a picture of where it freezes.

When you say it continues and asks for Wi-Fi networks, is that during the initial users setup after macOS has booted?

Z390 doesn't have native NVRAM. Therefore, you will need to install EmuVariableUefi-64 in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/. You can get this from the Clover installer.

This is as far as the install goes, it’s in verbose mode but I don’t get any error at all, it just sits at 2mins (as above) remaining forever (so it seems).

In terms of the Wi-fi point. That only happens if I try boot from the ssd right after I reboot following this hang, the install seems to complete but the dies on that Wi-fi page.

I’m trying with the emu-64 thing right now.

Back