Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hey there Mr. Chef - I recently completed a similar build using your guide. (Can't thank you enough for the valuable details!) - Anyway, everything I have done so far works exactly as you have suggested, but I have one issue with the USB support that I'm hoping you can clear up. I am working with the Z370-i board, and the ports are nearly identical to the the ones on your board, but I wanted to keep ports HS07--HS10 active and instead disable HS03,HS04,SS03,SS04. (This way, I can have more ports on the back IO for peripherals and since I have plenty of usb 3's available, the usb 2 ports are a good compromise since I can give up 2 usb 3 slots for 4 usb 2 slots if I understand things correctly? And keep my peripherals plugged into the rear I/O instead of the front.

I changed the .dsl file just a bit based on instructions in the USB guide you linked so that HS07--HS10 were all UsbConnector, 0 and changed the appropriate ports out in my uia exclude argument, but strangely, HS07 will come to life (and the expected ports die), but HS08, 09, and 10 will not come back to life for some reason.

Any ideas? I did check in IO registry to confirm the port number details for building my .dsl file. They were the same as yours, so even further confirmation of the similarity of our boards.. but so far no luck in bringing those ports back without just keeping the port limit patch and removing the uia exclude arg (which makes all my usb 3 ports misbehave)View attachment 387907

I don't know. It sounds like you've done it correctly... I don't know why those ports are not working.

Any plan to upgrade to Mojave?
Or you are happy with this os now

Any plan to upgrade to Mojave?
Or you are happy with this os now

I've been on Mojave since the first day it was released and have upgraded to every new update within hours of release.

I just got the asus z390i and wanted to install Mojave, should I install high seira first using your guide then upgrade
or install Mojave and use your guide as reference?

Sorry for weird language, still not that good with English

I just got the asus z390i and wanted to install Mojave, should I install high seira first using your guide then upgrade
or install Mojave and use your guide as reference?

Sorry for weird language, still not that good with English

Don't bother with High Sierra. Just go straight to Mojave. The instructions are the same.

Please see post #5560 and post #5567.

Thank you
Ok. Will follow your guide and see what happen, also
If I wanted to install windows as dual boot on same ssd drive, do I install Mac OS X first or windows first?

Thank you
Ok. Will follow your guide and see what happen, also
If I wanted to install windows as dual boot on same ssd drive, do I install Mac OS X first or windows first?

I think installing Windows first is easier. But using a separate drive is a much better idea.

Got Samsung 960pro name 2Tb drive

Don’t wanna spend more for storage, but gotcha

@pastrychef My machine takes FOREVER to boot to clover so I decided to check out my Kext folder and look what I found:

and that's only 1/3 of the entries!!!!!!!!!

How do I know what I need and what I can clean?

Thanks!

Back