Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I use the SSDT + the USBInjectAll.kext but it does not work the USB ports SS0 are not showing up.

Please post your config.plist.

here is the config.plist. thanks

If you use the SSDT, you have to choose which ports you want to disable to bring the total port count to 15 or less. Look at the image on post #1 of the USB ports. Select the ports you want disabled, then add them to "uia_exclude=" in config.plist > Boot > Custom Flags. After that, disable all the 15 port limit KextsToPatch.

@pastrychef

Looking for some advice on upgrading my build. I'd be able to sell everything being replaced to offset the cost.

i7-7700k => i9-9900k
Z270 => Z370 (or Z390)
RX 580 => RX Vega 56

Would the net cost of these replacements justify the performance increase?

A few hangups I'm having with each replacement...
  • i9-9900k - Would it be worth to wait for predicted 10nm Ice Lake?
  • Z370 or Z390 - At this point, I think the only hang up on Z390 is native NVRAM. Is it worth snagging a Z370 board if available, or grab a Z390 board if priced right?
  • RX Vega 56 - More than likely upcoming AMD Navi cards will work with hacks. If updating GPU, grab a Vega 56 if priced right, or just wait for Navi?
Thanks in advance for helping me not waste money!

If you use the SSDT, you have to choose which ports you want to disable to bring the total port count to 15 or less. Look at the image on post #1 of the USB ports. Select the ports you want disabled, then add them to "uia_exclude=" in config.plist > Boot > Custom Flags. After that, disable all the 15 port limit KextsToPatch.
I will check the Custom Flags thanks, but a question normally with the 15 port limit KextsToPatch all port should come out like when I boot in High Sierra with the same config.plist or I'm missing any Kext in Mojave. ?

I don't have FCPX so I can't use it to test anything. No one else on this thread has mentioned problems with it either...

There was a guy a post back on sunday saying after 10.14.3 update his vega is at full load all the time.
He replied to one of my posts.

Pastry you can download Da Vinci for free and test Apple API by exporting something to H264/H265.
But even ProRes exports are slow. It's something much more fundamental.
Pixelmator Pro has issue and anything that uses acceleration.
But the app you mentioned still shows green dots. FCPX doesn't quit or causes a panic it's simply zombie.

@pastrychef

Looking for some advice on upgrading my build. I'd be able to sell everything being replaced to offset the cost.

i7-7700k => i9-9900k
Z270 => Z370 (or Z390)
RX 580 => RX Vega 56

Would the net cost of these replacements justify the performance increase?

A few hangups I'm having with each replacement...
  • i9-9900k - Would it be worth to wait for predicted 10nm Ice Lake?
  • Z370 or Z390 - At this point, I think the only hang up on Z390 is native NVRAM. Is it worth snagging a Z370 board if available, or grab a Z390 board if priced right?
  • RX Vega 56 - More than likely upcoming AMD Navi cards will work with hacks. If updating GPU, grab a Vega 56 if priced right, or just wait for Navi?
Thanks in advance for helping me not waste money!

It really depends... Do you find your existing system slow? How much money will you have to add to upgrade?

We don't know anything about Ice Lake compatibility with macOS yet. We do know that Z370 is very compatible with macOS.

Yes, native NVRAM is the primary nagging point for Z390. CNVi slot incompatibility with standard M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards is less of an issue since we can use PCI-e slots. That being said, Z390 doesn't offer anything that Z370 doesn't have. It just has different Wi-Fi and different USB 3.1 gen 2.

If you can wait, I think Navi is going to be much more of a revolutionary jump.

I will check the Custom Flags thanks, but a question normally with the 15 port limit KextsToPatch all port should come out like when I boot in High Sierra with the same config.plist or I'm missing any Kext in Mojave. ?

It's supposed to... As far as I know, there's no new KextsToPatch for 10.14.3...

There's no new kexts needed.

Again, it's best to just use the SSDT and avoid having to keep up with all the KextsToPatches. It gets annoying really fast.

Back