Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thanks for your reply!

- Yes only iGPU
- Yes both Mojave 10.14.3
- Yes I set those properties in config.plist > Devices > Properties
- Yes running iMac18,1 SMBIOS BUT I tried using MacMini8,1 with no difference

What's interesting is if I run the exact same settings on the exact same system BUT I boot into 10.14.2 (as I have a copy on an USB SSD) then speed of rendering goes back to normal (55sec circa instead of 7+ minutes)

Thanks for your reply!

- Yes only iGPU
- Yes both Mojave 10.14.3
- Yes I set those properties in config.plist > Devices > Properties
- Yes running iMac18,1 SMBIOS BUT I tried using MacMini8,1 with no difference

What's interesting is if I run the exact same settings on the exact same system BUT I boot into 10.14.2 (as I have a copy on an USB SSD) then speed of rendering goes back to normal (55sec circa instead of 7+ minutes)

Hmm... That's weird...

Have you tried spoofing Kaby Lake IGPU?

ig-platform-id 00001259
device ID 12590000

Hi,

I tested now spoofing Kaby Lake IGPU
with the settings you suggested:
ig-platform-id 00001259
device ID 12590000

No difference. Still zombie.
Plus even though I have the boot option -cdfon, using these settings, disables the 1440p interface of the 4k monitor.

One more detail about FCPX. whenever I run a rendering the applications itself becomes unresponsive. It takes time to open the render progress and cancel the rendering.

Hi,

I tested now spoofing Kaby Lake IGPU
with the settings you suggested:
ig-platform-id 00001259
device ID 12590000

No difference. Still zombie.
Plus even though I have the boot option -cdfon, using these settings, disables the 1440p interface of the 4k monitor.

One more detail about FCPX. whenever I run a rendering the applications itself becomes unresponsive. It takes time to open the render progress and cancel the rendering.

Hmm... I don't know why it's behaving like that...

Hmm... I don't know why it's behaving like that...

Do you have consistent performance in FCPX with 10.14.3 exporting for example ProRes and H264 with your Vega 56?
Might also just be a MacOS bug.

I just removed any settings from config.plist > Devices > Properties for the i3 8100 and everything works (as before with 07009B3E) as you suggested.

Do you have consistent performance in FCPX with 10.14.3 exporting for example ProRes and H264 with your Vega 56?
Might also just be a MacOS bug.

I just removed any settings from config.plist > Devices > Properties for the i3 8100 and everything works (as before with 07009B3E) as you suggested.

I'm not a FCPX user.

Too bad because I think it's not just a FCPX issue but it's an issue related to acceleration and Metal and/or OpenCL.
Pixelmator Pro was behaving in a slower fashion as well and so on and so forth.

Ah, that makes sense. It's actually working for me with shikivga=1. Thanks for the clear explanation in the guide!

@perchard,

Yes, as detailed in the guide shikivga=1 should work for most people as long as the IGPU is configured correctly, a value of 1 seems to work best if the IGPU is configured as headless alongside a dGPU, where as shikivga=57 seems to work best if the IGPU is only GPU in system. I'm still collecting info but so far this seems to be the case.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers
Jay

Are you sure you have the correct audio output set in System Preferences? I use the Green connector in the rear of the computer and I have "Internal Speaker" selected in System Preferences > Sound.

That's not the problem. Prefs/sound/input and output ==> "no input devices found" (there are no options in the selection field ... no external speakers, no microphone, no internal, nothing .... it's unpopulated and blank) although the headphone jack is in the green, black or whatever connector. Moreover, when I pull up a song to play in quicktime, I get the message "the operation could not be completed" ... and when I try to play a song in iTunes, the progress bar won't move. If it were moving, or if the tune were playing, but I just couldn't hear it, I'd have to think about the input jacks of the headphones. We're not at that point yet yet .... there's a different problem. What do you think is this hardware and mobo connectors related, or is this an OS (or software-related) problem? What to try next?

BTW ... HD Audio Controller in mobo is enabled.

Last edited:
Too bad because I think it's not just a FCPX issue but it's an issue related to acceleration and Metal and/or OpenCL.
Pixelmator Pro was behaving in a slower fashion as well and so on and so forth.

I will try to investigate...

Back