Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

That's good news!!

Before I go that route though (which will require backing everything up, the potential of another reinstall of 10.12.06 if there's a problem, etc.), I'd like to try something else first. I'd love to first have a relatively well running version of 10.12.06 before moving on to backing-up, upgrading, etc. (given all the time we put into this =)

With regard to that, thanks again for the audio improvement suggestion for 10.12.06. I will make that change and see if it helps.

As you mentioned in post#1, members have confirmed that this build also runs on 10.12.06. I'm not sure if the CPU is under-performing with 10.12.06, as you suggested it might (haven't run any benchmarks yet), but some stuff seems sluggish (like doing other stuff while copying files from another HD) and the CPUs were overheating when I did some cpu intensive rendering, so I am wondering if you have any obvious other recommendations (in addition to the audio change) of what (like maybe a symbios change to earlier mac version like 18,3?) I should adjust/change in the conf.list or regarding kexts to improve 10.12.06 performance with this build on Sierra?

I have no idea why you are experiencing sluggishness. Try preventing drives from sleeping to see if it helps.

For overheating, you will have to check the mounting of your CPU cooler. If you are using a water cooler, make sure the pump is running.

OK ... on a different note (a very important one given what I need this rig for), I am now wondering if I have to change the 18,3 symbios config in order to run 2 Nvidia GPUs? If yes, then what symbios should I use and is it only a matter of changing the symbios in config.list, or is there more to it? Answered in #944 (i think/hope), but given other stuff I read, am wondering, for 1 or 2 Nvidia GPUs, must I have "0x59120003" in ig-platform-id of the configlist?

Last edited:
OK ... on a different note (a very important one given what I need this rig for), I am now wondering if I have to change the 18,3 symbios config in order to run 2 Nvidia GPUs? If yes, then what symbios should I use and is it only a matter of changing the symbios in config.list, or is there more to it? Relatedly, for 1 or 2 Nvidia GPUs, must I have "0x59120003" in ig-platform-id of the configlist?

I don't think there's a need to change SMBIOS.

If you want to change it, yes, just change in config.plist.

The dGPUs will not change your IGPU that's build in to your CPU.

Thanks for your quick reaction. Yes, I used UniBeast.

this among other things also got me into installation hell ... make sure you are in the clover menu (with the clover sign on top the splash screen), not the hotkey F12 bios menu (installation instructions could use some clarification here and in a few other places .... without which you are forced into "overthinking") .... if in clover, you'll see the "MacOS boot in ...."

Hi all,

I started by Mojave installing with the details and files from post #1 but it was only successfull, when I shut off the power of the Vega 56. All runs fine (Bluetooth, Wifi with PCI-E Combo card and excluding usb with uia_exclude).

I added also the newest Versions Lilu, WhateverGreen... But every time I boot Mojave and power on the VEGA card I'll get a kernel panic. I tried with different BIOS versions ... always the same result. In all current BIOS's versions I can't set the primary display, too ... so waiting for the new one 1602.

I thought VEGA 56 will run out-of-the-box within Mojave ... but it's the only thing which does not work ...

Tried also the Devices-Properties from you .... without success.

Current EFI-Directory:

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_A501316B2B70-1.jpeg
    IMG_A501316B2B70-1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4274559D6D34-1.jpeg
    IMG_4274559D6D34-1.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_842760D10B72-1.jpeg
    IMG_842760D10B72-1.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 58
  • EFI.zip
    17 MB · Views: 76
I don't think there's a need to change SMBIOS.

If you want to change it, yes, just change in config.plist.

The dGPUs will not change your IGPU that's build in to your CPU.

OK ... then getting back to an earlier suggestion you made ... I'm mentally working through the mechanics of your suggestion of running this build on 10.13.06 to see if there are improvements. I figure I'll do a new install on a separate partition (to keep what is now working untouched) and then update that new installation via the app store. My question about doing this is: will the "erase disk" during the installation process create an efi partition that I can move your efi folder into when installation is done? I did an erase before going into installation mode/boot and an efi partition wasn't created that way.

DRM content was not working in iTunes for me, and I couldn't find a solution in this thread, so I spent some time looking into it, and was able to get it working.

I found this post where @mafx3 indicated they had fixed DRM by setting shikivga=1 ("enable Intel online video decoder").

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-and-its-plug-ins.260063/page-19#post-1896611

The config.plist provided for this build already sets shikivga=60. I checked the source for Shiki (now part of WhateverGreen) which explains the values for this parameter (I couldn't find an explanation in any of the documentation):

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/WhateverGreen/kern_shiki.hpp#L34

So, I set shikivga=61 (i.e., current setting plus shikivga=1) - and now DRM content works in iTunes.

@jaymonkey said that "it may be a CPU generation specific issue". For reference I have an i7-8700K 3.7 GHz.

It was also interesting to see what shikivga=60 does. (I'm pretty sure) it enables:

ReplaceBoardID (32)
DisabledUnused16 (16)
AddExecutableWhitelist (8)
ForceCompatibleRenderer (4)

Hi all,

I started by Mojave installing with the details and files from post #1 but it was only successfull, when I shut off the power of the Vega 56. All runs fine (Bluetooth, Wifi with PCI-E Combo card and excluding usb with uia_exclude).

I added also the newest Versions Lilu, WhateverGreen... But every time I boot Mojave and power on the VEGA card I'll get a kernel panic. I tried with different BIOS versions ... always the same result. In all current BIOS's versions I can't set the primary display, too ... so waiting for the new one 1602.

I thought VEGA 56 will run out-of-the-box within Mojave ... but it's the only thing which does not work ...

Tried also the Devices-Properties from you .... without success.

Current EFI-Directory:

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I can't tell what those pictures are saying. Where is it from?

Vega 56/64 should be plug-n-play. If yours is giving problems, maybe it's defective and needs to be exchanged.

Please try this config.plist. You forgot to disable all the USB 15 limit KextsToPatches in your config.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 66
OK ... then getting back to an earlier suggestion you made ... I'm mentally working through the mechanics of your suggestion of running this build on 10.13.06 to see if there are improvements. I figure I'll do a new install on a separate partition (to keep what is now working untouched) and then update that new installation via the app store. My question about doing this is: will the "erase disk" during the installation process create an efi partition that I can move your efi folder into when installation is done? I did an erase before going into installation mode/boot and an efi partition wasn't created that way.

If you use GUID partition scheme, an EFI partition will be created.

DRM content was not working in iTunes for me, and I couldn't find a solution in this thread, so I spent some time looking into it, and was able to get it working.

I found this post where @mafx3 indicated they had fixed DRM by setting shikivga=1 ("enable Intel online video decoder").

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-and-its-plug-ins.260063/page-19#post-1896611

The config.plist provided for this build already sets shikivga=60. I checked the source for Shiki (now part of WhateverGreen) which explains the values for this parameter (I couldn't find an explanation in any of the documentation):

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/WhateverGreen/kern_shiki.hpp#L34

So, I set shikivga=61 (i.e., current setting plus shikivga=1) - and now DRM content works in iTunes.

@jaymonkey said that "it may be a CPU generation specific issue". For reference I have an i7-8700K 3.7 GHz.

It was also interesting to see what shikivga=60 does. (I'm pretty sure) it enables:

ReplaceBoardID (32)
DisabledUnused16 (16)
AddExecutableWhitelist (8)
ForceCompatibleRenderer (4)

If DRM is important, another solution would be to disable IGPU and use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

Edit:
I just tested shikigva=1 and it's also working for me and my i9-9900K. Thanks. :thumbup:

I'll make the change in config.plist the next time I update the EFI folder. There hasn't been anything significant enough to warrant and update yet.

Last edited:
Back