Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

Motherboard
X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
512K, Plus
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have the same BenQ and get the same blinking. My computer has been crashing a few times a day where all of a sudden it goes to a blank screen and is unresponsive. Have you had that happen while using your BenQ?
No, my X299 system is rock solid. So much so I have been reluctant to upgrade it. I used to have hangs playing Starcraft 2 when I was using an MSI RX 580 but that ended with the change over to the Vega. I now use the 580 in my 2009 Mac Pro, and it works perfectly there.

MANY PD3200U users complain about the blinking. I fear it is a flaw in this $900 monitor. I have an extended warranty on mine, and I'm going to try to get it replaced in the coming months.

Motherboard
ASUS Z370-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
No, my X299 system is rock solid.
Thanks for the info. The infrequent blinking I can handle. But the crashing is causing me to lose work, argh! Well at least I know the monitor is unlikely the culprit.

Motherboard
Q87: Dell Optiplex 9020.
CPU
i7 4790
Graphics
AMD R5 240 1GB: 1/2 height, 1 slot
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
This morning, I decided to mess around with the VGTab utility to see how far I can lower the fan speeds on my Vega while still keeping the card under 80C under load. I ran the usual benchmarks to monitor temps but noticed that, no matter what I did, FPS seemed to be capped at 60fps! Well, after many, many restarts and tests, it turned out that having Safari open somehow prevented Unigine Heaven and Valley to go beyond 60fps... :banghead:
We look forward to your "translated for mortals" addendum in the guide (on page 1?).

Oh. Happy New Year from Sydney, Australia.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
We look forward to your "translated for mortals" addendum in the guide (on page 1?).

Oh. Happy New Year from Sydney, Australia.
Since everyone's card/GPU is different, each person will have to do trial and error testing to find out what their individual card is capable of. It's the same as overclocking CPUs.

For my particular card, am able to set max fan speeds to 3300rpm. With this, the GPU maxes out at about 78C under load. As long as it stays under 80C, it won't throttle itself.

Motherboard
Asus Strix Z370G Gaming WiFi (64GB RAM)
CPU
i7 8700K Coffee Lake
Graphics
Sapphire RX Vega 56 8GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
@pastrychef Mind sharing what are the all numbers you use with VGTab for your Vega card? I'm having troubles in running it quiet.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pastrychef Mind sharing what are the all numbers you use with VGTab for your Vega card? I'm having troubles in running it quiet.
I undervolt the Core to 1010mV and I overclock the HBM to 920MHz. I also tested 930MHz but didn't see much gain...

I have idle fan set to 900 and target fan speed set to 3300. 3200 was also working but it was touching 80C and I wanted to keep it just a bit cooler. I'm not sure these settings will work for you. Every GPU is different and has slightly different and will have slightly different thermal characteristics. Plus, I used liquid metal on my GPU die.

Target temperature is set to 55C.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 3.33.18 PM.png

With these settings, the fan is still audible when GPU is under load, but very bearable and most of it is drowned out by the sounds from the games. I usually keep my system volume around 20% or lower when gaming.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Take the side of your case off that will get you at least 10c. ;-p
I've tried that and everything seems to run cooler with the case closed.

Motherboard
NUC8i5BEK
CPU
i5-8259U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Since you are using an 8th gen CPU, macOS will recognize your IGPU and automatically set it to be headless. You don't have to do any graphics injections or do any spoofing in config.plist.
hey @pastrychef, the vega56 arrived and works as expected. Changed to iMac18,3. However, the UHD630 has disappeared from the Graphics/Display tab in System Report. I don't have anything connected to it, have enabled multi monitor support in bios and have PEG selected as primary display device.

Is this normal? Anyway to check if the UHD630 is still there in headless mode?

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
hey @pastrychef, the vega56 arrived and works as expected. Changed to iMac18,3. However, the UHD630 has disappeared from the Graphics/Display tab in System Report. I don't have anything connected to it, have enabled multi monitor support in bios and have PEG selected as primary display device.

Is this normal? Anyway to check if the UHD630 is still there in headless mode?
That's the way it's supposed to be.

If you want to check if the UHD 630 is seen by macOS, use IORegistryExplorer and search for "IGPU".