Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi,

I also bought the MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC.
But it is not working OOB.
I need WhatEver.Kext and Lilu.Kext otherwise I have a black screen.

Also I have coil whining in normal desktop mode. Moving the mouse causes the whining.
Do you have the same problem?

Hi,

I also bought the MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC.
But it is not working OOB.
I need WhatEver.Kext and Lilu.Kext otherwise I have a black screen.

Also I have coil whining in normal desktop mode. Moving the mouse causes the whining.
Do you have the same problem?

Without WhateverGreen, only one DisplayPort is active for me. (Don't know about the HDMI port.)

With WhateverGreen, all the DisplayPorts are active. HDMI is also active.

I don't have coil whine.

Without WhateverGreen, only one DisplayPort is active for me. (Don't know about the HDMI port.)

With WhateverGreen, all the DisplayPorts are active. HDMI is also active.

I don't have coil whine.
Ah ok, maybe I should try another DP.
But I don't think that it will help me with the coil whine problem.

In Windows 10 I have no problems with coil whine so I would say that the card is ok... annoying :D

Just a quick off topic: Should FakeSMC.kext be in both L/E and EFI/Clover/kexts/other?

I keep it in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

No.

If you look at post #1, I never mention anything about putting kexts in /Library/Extensions/.
Right, but other folks do. Maybe that’s what has caused so many problems for my Mojave build? :( I have had all of the kexts in L/E with FakeSMC.kext in both L/E and kexts/other.

I find that my GPU rename to GFX happens way after PEGP when I use WG and that if I do it myself it renames PEGP but where WE names GFX0 shows Display. I notice that when I do this rename myself in clover it causes issues with Movies on iTunes working correctly. By allowing WG to do it iTunes works correctly with IGPU enabled and plays movies.

Hey @scottkendall, debating updating my system to a similar build. So your iTunes movies play ok? Could you explain more about what you mean by 'allowing WG to do it iTunes works'...not sure I follow what you did.

Right, but other folks do. Maybe that’s what has caused so many problems for my Mojave build? :( I have had all of the kexts in L/E with FakeSMC.kext in both L/E and kexts/other.

I've explained before...

• Putting all my hackintosh kexts in to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ is not the recommended way.
  • Putting them in /Library/Extensions/ is.
  • I do it this way because I have never experienced any problems doing so and I like the convenience this method offers.
  • It's up to each individual user which location they choose.
  1. If you choose to follow what I've done, just take the EFI folder in post #1 and put it in your EFI partition.
  2. Make sure there are no duplicate kexts in /Library/Extensions/.
  3. Done.

Do not mix and match different methods from different guides. Everyone does things slightly differently. Mixing and matching will only cause problems.

Back