Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

You need to have IGPU enabled and configured properly.
in 14.1 the hardware acceleration was lost, but in 14.2 they corrected it ... iGPU configuration helps but is not necessary ... in my opinion something happened during the update ... use time mashine? can give us more details ... repeat in 14.2 everything is ok
It turns out my IGPU was disabled. I re-enabled it and all is working OK again.

@pastrychef ,

regarding the sleep/wake issue of my Vega: do you use this fixup?
Code:
<key>Comment</key>
                <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (board-id) Patch (c) Pike R. Alpha</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                Ym9hcmQtaWQ=
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.14</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                Ym9hcmQtaXg=
                </data>

maybe it could work... at least for me!

@pastrychef ,

regarding the sleep/wake issue of my Vega: do you use this fixup?
Code:
<key>Comment</key>
                <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (board-id) Patch (c) Pike R. Alpha</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                Ym9hcmQtaWQ=
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>MatchOS</key>
                <string>10.14</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                Ym9hcmQtaXg=
                </data>

maybe it could work... at least for me!

No. I don't use this. My understanding is that this addresses a black screen condition and has nothing to do with sleep.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/patching-applegraphicsdevicepolicy-kext/

Does it wake properly with just one monitor?

Hi All,
I would like to upgrade my system to a Z370 chipset motherboard with a Coffe Lake CPU (for now) and I read with great interest Your post about the Asus ROG Strix Z370 G MB Build as well as those about the Asus ROG Strix Z370 F and Asus ROG Maximus X Z370. Currently my system is based on an Asus MB with mATX form factor and I really appreciate its compactness but, reading Your experience, it seemed that I could have more difficulties during post installation tweaks with mATX Strix - G compared to ATX Strix - F and/or Maximus X Hero and therefore I am very uncertain about what to do.
Could I have any opinion if my evaluation about is right or wrong and if there are any differences between these MBs from this point of view?
A further question, if possible, thinking about a future update: is it possible and advisable on this motherboard a multi-GPU configuration?
Thanks in advance for Your help

Hi @pastrychef thanks for your guide and explanation I just successfully upgraded yesterday my Hackintosh with your same MoBo and CPU. I didn't used the UFI but I've just adapted mine including your USB SSDT, USB Boot Flags, spoofed the iGPU and switched the the Audio Device ID.
Those are the scores I get under macOS:

Schermata 2018-12-14 alle 16.30.43.png
(on Windows 100 points more)

Schermata 2018-12-14 alle 16.20.32.png

(on Windows 2000 less on Multi-Core Score)​

Anyway, I overclocked the CPU at 5GHz on all cores following this video:
that explains almost everything and suggests safe overclock settings (using Adaptive Voltage) even if he uses a Z390 Asus Mobo.

Those are my settings in the BIOS:
Ai Overclock Tuner: XMP
BCLK Frequency: 100.0000
ASUS MultiCore Enhancement: Disabled
AVX instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: Auto
CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
- 1-Core Ratio Limit: 50
DDRAM Odd Ratio Mode: Enabled
DRAM Frequency: DDR4-2400MHz
TPU: Keep Current Settings
DIGI+ VRM
- CPU Load-line Calibration: Level 7
Min. CPU Cache Ratio: Auto
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage: Enabled
CPU Core/Cache Voltage: Adaptive Mode
- Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage 1.350

Basing on your scores I guess that I can't reach the same scores because of RAM (16GB 2400MHz), Geekebench scores depends also on RAM but I can wrong and maybe you can gently give me any other advice or settings in order to have the best stable/performant settings for the i9-9900k on our MoBo. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
I would like to upgrade my system to a Z370 chipset motherboard with a Coffe Lake CPU (for now) and I read with great interest Your post about the Asus ROG Strix Z370 G MB Build as well as those about the Asus ROG Strix Z370 F and Asus ROG Maximus X Z370. Currently my system is based on an Asus MB with mATX form factor and I really appreciate its compactness but, reading Your experience, it seemed that I could have more difficulties during post installation tweaks with mATX Strix - G compared to ATX Strix - F and/or Maximus X Hero and therefore I am very uncertain about what to do.
Could I have any opinion if my evaluation about is right or wrong and if there are any differences between these MBs from this point of view?
A further question, if possible, thinking about a future update: is it possible and advisable on this motherboard a multi-GPU configuration?
Thanks in advance for Your help

No. Using mATX does not require any more tweaking than ATX. The form factor of the motherboard has no impact on how easy or difficult it is to install macOS.

Multi GPU is possible. Others have done it. I've just never found the need for it for my use.

Hi @pastrychef thanks for your guide and explanation I just successfully upgraded yesterday my Hackintosh with your same MoBo and CPU. I didn't used the UFI but I've just adapted mine including your USB SSDT, USB Boot Flags, spoofed the iGPU and switched the the Audio Device ID.
Those are the scores I get under macOS:

View attachment 372736 (on Windows 100 points more)

View attachment 372735
(on Windows 2000 less on Multi-Core Score)​

Anyway, I overclocked the CPU at 5GHz on all cores following this video:
that explains almost everything and suggests safe overclock settings (using Adaptive Voltage) even if he uses a Z390 Asus Mobo.

Those are my settings in the BIOS:

Basing on your scores I guess that I can't reach the same scores because of RAM (16GB 2400MHz), Geekebench scores depends also on RAM but I can wrong and maybe you can gently give me any other advice or settings in order to have the best stable/performant settings for the i9-9900k on our MoBo. Thanks in advance.

No, I think that the difference between your Geekbench score and mine are entirely due to the speed of the RAM. I get very similar scores to yours when I have slower RAM installed.

No, I think that the difference between your Geekbench score and mine are entirely due to the speed of the RAM. I get very similar scores to yours when I have slower RAM installed.

and AVX instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: Auto.... must be zero ....

I am running 10.14.2 with ASUS Vega 56 OC. I don't have heating and fan noise issue so far yet. Everything is work like yours but the card has little bit of signal noise when I scroll the mouse up & down (since it is easy to hear if your case is tempered glass). Not sure if any vega 56 users have this issue????

I am running 10.14.2 with ASUS Vega 56 OC. I don't have heating and fan noise issue so far yet. Everything is work like yours but the card has little bit of signal noise when I scroll the mouse up & down (since it is easy to hear if your case is tempered glass). Not sure if any vega 56 users have this issue????

Are you speaking about coil whine? I have not heard anything from my Vega other than fan noise.

Back