Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hey Chef!

I have a problem that bothers me a bit with my Hak, so I thought you might be able to give an advice...

I have the same built, except I swapped 1070 to 1080ti.
The problem is that my computer behaves weird when it sleeps.

Here is the problem:
Computer goes to sleep without any problems, it wakes up perfectly. However after a long period time like overnight or 6-8 hours I usually find my Hak is ON but the screen is OFF. Fans are spinning, GPUs LEDs are on, it is slightly warm (the case glass) but it doesn't wakes up. No reaction on keyboard, apple mouse, wired mouse, power button - nothing at all...
The only way is to turn off PSU or hold power button long enough to shut if off.

I literally don't know what to do:(

It started pretty recently, might be after I switched GPU but I doubt it. Another possible reason might be a latest security update that I accidentally installed and almost killed the system (but was able to log in and fix all the issues). I pretty positive that this problem came up way after both GLU swap and update, so I kinda doubt that all these related.

Well, it could very well be your new GPU.....but I would suggest you become familiar with pmset. In terminal, if you execute pmset -g, it will tell you what your power settings are. You might have one that is a problem. To change a setting, you must execute sudo pmset -<setting> <number>. Just Google "pmset macos" (without the quotes). This URL might be helpful: https://www.dssw.co.uk/reference/pmset.html

Good luck!

Hey Chef!

I have a problem that bothers me a bit with my Hak, so I thought you might be able to give an advice...

I have the same built, except I swapped 1070 to 1080ti.
The problem is that my computer behaves weird when it sleeps.

Here is the problem:
Computer goes to sleep without any problems, it wakes up perfectly. However after a long period time like overnight or 6-8 hours I usually find my Hak is ON but the screen is OFF. Fans are spinning, GPUs LEDs are on, it is slightly warm (the case glass) but it doesn't wakes up. No reaction on keyboard, apple mouse, wired mouse, power button - nothing at all...
The only way is to turn off PSU or hold power button long enough to shut if off.

I literally don't know what to do:(

It started pretty recently, might be after I switched GPU but I doubt it. Another possible reason might be a latest security update that I accidentally installed and almost killed the system (but was able to log in and fix all the issues). I pretty positive that this problem came up way after both GLU swap and update, so I kinda doubt that all these related.

Since you are using Nvidia graphics, I"m assuming you are on High Sierra.

Please enter the following in Terminal and post the output:
Code:
pmset -g log | grep -i failure

One possible reason/solution for the sleep/wake/freeze may have been an HGST 8Tb (Refurbed) drive that has been cranky since soon after it was installed. It finally failed (Time Machine backups included). The system was taking several minutes to boot with the offending drive installed. Without it, no problem, boot in 20 seconds. We shall see what sleep/wake looks like now that it is removed and hopefully on its way back to the refurb factory to claw back my TM back-up.

Here's the Boot log zip

and still getting sleep failure:
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 6.16.07 PM.png

Attachments

• bootlog.txt.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Since you are using Nvidia graphics, I"m assuming you are on High Sierra.

Please enter the following in Terminal and post the output:
Code:
pmset -g log | grep -i failure

iMac:~ mech$ pmset -g log | grep -i failure
2018-11-27 20:06:02 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:
2018-11-28 21:39:09 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:
2018-11-29 22:24:21 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:
2018-11-30 16:29:36 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:
2018-12-03 18:18:36 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:

Well, it could very well be your new GPU.....but I would suggest you become familiar with pmset. In terminal, if you execute pmset -g, it will tell you what your power settings are. You might have one that is a problem. To change a setting, you must execute sudo pmset -<setting> <number>. Just Google "pmset macos" (without the quotes). This URL might be helpful: https://www.dssw.co.uk/reference/pmset.html

Good luck!

Thank you for a good advice, I will definitely go through that!!
Again, I don't feel that it is started right after I got new GPU...

I have 1 250Gb NVMe SSD, 2 120Gb SATA SSDs (1 for windows, 1 for games) and 1TB HDD. One of the 120Gb SATA SSDs is also freshly installed.

My PSU is SeaSonic Prime 1200W Platinum. I know that this is overkill, but it is 100% reliable.

Last edited:
@pastrychef - I might have missed it, but can you share you bios settings (Vcore, etc.) to achieve your 5GHz overclock on the 9900K?

Also, I have Z370-E Strix board, but don't have the 9900K yet. Did you notice any issues trying to achieve a mild OC on the 9900K with your Z370-G (assuming the VRMs are comparable with the mid-level Z370 Asus boards)?

iMac:~ mech$ pmset -g log | grep -i failure
2018-11-27 20:06:02 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:
2018-11-28 21:39:09 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:
2018-11-29 22:24:21 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:
2018-11-30 16:29:36 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:
2018-12-03 18:18:36 -0600 Failure Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0400001F]:

I don't know what that means. Are you using SSDT for USB?

I don't know what that means. Are you using SSDT for USB?
Yes, I actually think you kindly set everything up for me.
I gave you my EFI folder and you set SSDT for me...

pastry chef - I might have missed it, but can you share you bios settings (Vcore, etc.) to achieve your 5GHz overclock on the 9900K?

Also, I have Z370-E Strix board, but don't have the 9900K yet. Did you notice any issues trying to achieve a mild OC on the 9900K with your Z370-G (assuming the VRMs are comparable with the mid-level Z370 Asus boards)?

I had to set TPU I (for air cooling).
Then I set sync all cores to 5GHz.
Then I set 1.310v.
LLC is at 5.
CPU Cache is at 4.7GHz.

Yes, I actually think you kindly set everything up for me.
I gave you my EFI folder and you set SSDT for me...

I don't know what 0xFFFFFFFF0400001F is... Sometimes it will log the problem in English, unfortunately, this time it didn't.

I don't know what 0xFFFFFFFF0400001F is... Sometimes it will log the problem in English, unfortunately, this time it didn't.

Oh, that's sad.. I have no idea what's wrong.
Will try to reinstall nvidia driver and unplug new SSD.

I have 1060 as an eGPU in my wife's MBP, so I might try it... else I don't really know what might be the issue..

Back