Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef This might sound strange but I'm trying to make a ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5850 work in this system. I followed the same build as you but I had a 980ti for my GPU instead. I just sold the 980ti and figured I would use an old AMD card until I get a replacement card. I haven't had any luck. Is this GPU not supported in High Sierra? Any ideas of what I could do to make this work?

I had the 5870 in the past... it was native supported and delivered by Apple with the Mac pro 2010.. only inject ATI and it was done. Disable iGPU

I had the 5870 in the past... it was native supported and delivered by Apple with the Mac pro 2010.. only inject ATI and it was done. Disable iGPU

Why disable the IGPU? Real iMac18,3 has IGPU enabled. Wouldn't it make sense to mimic that as closely as possible?

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) - i7-8700K - AMD Vega 56 build
Screenshot 2018-10-07 at 15.41.13.png
New build.​

Great guide, thanks a lot for this thread!

I upgraded to Mojave and tried out iMac18,3 but experienced graphical glitching/flickering. Reverted back to iMac18,1 and working great again.

What is the purpose of the "change PPMC to PMCR" patch?

I upgraded to Mojave and tried out iMac18,3 but experienced graphical glitching/flickering. Reverted back to iMac18,1 and working great again.

What is the purpose of the "change PPMC to PMCR" patch?

Yes, if you are using IGPU only, you should use iMac18,1.

That's just a rename of one of the SMBus controllers. Nothing is being patched.

Yes, if you are using IGPU only, you should use iMac18,1.

That's just a rename of one of the SMBus controllers. Nothing is being patched.

Gotcha. Thanks for your work on this guide and build! It's been working really well.

It seems that stock of some of the Asus Z370 motherboards are drying up in the wake of the Z390 releases. As I've said in other posts, from all that I've read, the only real difference between Z370 and Z390 are (1) Z390 uses Intel Wi-Fi and (2) Z390 uses Intel USB 3.1 gen 2. As far as I know, there is currently no support for either of these in macOS.

Hey just curious what kinds of speeds are you getting off of that MacBook Air WiFi card? I have 400Mbps Internet, and I can only get 90Mbps on my WiFi card and wanting to upgrade.

Back