Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
CPU
i7-8700k @ 5 GHz OC
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey pastrychef!
I am big fan!

I am currently running into really dumb issues while installing high sierra or mojave. I started off with installing mojave but found out that there are no nVidia drivers available for it yet. So I am trying to install high sierra on my rig. I have followed evey step properly in your guide, and successfully created the usb installation media.

I made my PC with intel Optane in it. So when I boot from the drive it boots into the installation screen but doesn’t detect drives. I found out that I will have to change the deive mode to AHCI to enable it. As soon as I change into AHCI mode, I boot from my drive and it runs into a kernel panic. I have been trying to disconnect extra drives and tried to install with iGPU as well but nothing seems to work. I will attach a link to my kernel panic video in case you want to have a look over it. Any help would be really appreciated!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmmRFqBRJizng_NC84jTtNdiqcuybQ

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey pastrychef!
I am big fan!

I am currently running into really dumb issues while installing high sierra or mojave. I started off with installing mojave but found out that there are no nVidia drivers available for it yet. So I am trying to install high sierra on my rig. I have followed evey step properly in your guide, and successfully created the usb installation media.

I made my PC with intel Optane in it. So when I boot from the drive it boots into the installation screen but doesn’t detect drives. I found out that I will have to change the deive mode to AHCI to enable it. As soon as I change into AHCI mode, I boot from my drive and it runs into a kernel panic. I have been trying to disconnect extra drives and tried to install with iGPU as well but nothing seems to work. I will attach a link to my kernel panic video in case you want to have a look over it. Any help would be really appreciated!

It looks like the kernel panic is from NVMe which probably means it's related to the Intel Optane SSD.
Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 5.41.51 AM.png

I haven't read of anyone trying to use one of the Intel Optane SSDs so I don't know if it works... I would try installing with the Intel Optane pulled out.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
  • Outcome of the update: SUCCESSFUL (directly from app)
  • macOS version prior update: macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
  • Clover version: Clover r4674
  • Time for update: 40 minutes
  • Additional notes:
    • 3 Restarts, no panics.
    • My Vega 64 now finally does not spin the fan when in idle, YAY!!
    • The system feels a bit snappier although boot times seem longer.
The new "Take a photo" and "Scan Document" features are not working for me, everything else like iMessage and continuity works fine, anyone else?
Also, my boot drive has "SMART status: Disabled", is that normal? (960 NVME) I had a SMART issue with a DATA mechanical drive and now I am a bit paranoid.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
  • Outcome of the update: SUCCESSFUL (directly from app)
  • macOS version prior update: macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
  • Clover version: Clover r4674
  • Time for update: 40 minutes
  • Additional notes:
    • 3 Restarts, no panics.
    • My Vega 64 now finally does not spin the fan when in idle, YAY!!
    • The system feels a bit snappier although boot times seem longer.
The new "Take a photo" and "Scan Document" features are not working for me, everything else like iMessage and continuity works fine, anyone else?
Also, my boot drive has "SMART status: Disabled", is that normal? (960 NVME) I had a SMART issue with a DATA mechanical drive and now I am a bit paranoid.

I just tested "Take Photo" and "Scan Documents" (my first time trying) and ti worked perfectly with my iPhone X.

It appears that SMART status on my Samsung 970 EVO (NVMe) is also disabled. I'm sure I have it enabled in BIOS. I don't know why it's not working in macOS. SMART status is working for all my other drives.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700k @ 5 GHz OC
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
It looks like the kernel panic is from NVMe which probably means it's related to the Intel Optane SSD.
View attachment 354364

I haven't read of anyone trying to use one of the Intel Optane SSDs so I don't know if it works... I would try installing with the Intel Optane pulled out.
Ohhh Thanks a lot man! Yeah, about that Optane, is there any way I could disable it with taking it out? Because the system was custom made by a company and it water cooled so it would be seriously hard for me to take it out. Maybe a clover patch or something to ignore the device? I have to graphics card in my rig if it makes a difference for changing something in BIOS to disable it for maximum speed on the PCIe slots or something? Just throwing around possible solutions, maybe it can spark up some idea :p

Again, thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it!

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ohhh Thanks a lot man! Yeah, about that Optane, is there any way I could disable it with taking it out? Because the system was custom made by a company and it water cooled so it would be seriously hard for me to take it out. Maybe a clover patch or something to ignore the device? I have to graphics card in my rig if it makes a difference for changing something in BIOS to disable it for maximum speed on the PCIe slots or something? Just throwing around possible solutions, maybe it can spark up some idea :p

Again, thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it!
I'm not sure... I think that on my BIOS, there is a setting to disable M.2. Try looking for BIOS settings to enable/disable devices.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700k @ 5 GHz OC
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm not sure... I think that on my BIOS, there is a setting to disable M.2. Try looking for BIOS settings to enable/disable devices.
I got it working!
We basically just have to use nvme=-1 in boot args of clover, it will disable any nvme drives while booting!

Thanks a lot!

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
My Vega 64 now finally does not spin the fan when in idle, YAY!!
Acked!

Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Utilization\|Clock'
"Device Utilization %"=2
"Fan Speed(%)"=35
"Core Clock(MHz)"=33
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=500
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=36
"Device Utilization % at cur p-state"=0
"Device Unit 0 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 1 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 2 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 3 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 4 Utilization %"=0
"Device Utilization %"=0
There remains one small issue. When I finish gaming (Company of Heroes 2 in 4K which is quite a heavy GPU usage game) the fan speed falls down to 1500RPM. A sleep and wake will put the GPU back in 0 RPM again. I hope some finds out if this can be enforced or fixed by another way.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey pastrychef!
I am big fan!

To be even a bigger fan replace your GPU ;-) !